User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evo x rear diff fluid change diy???

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flawlessninja View Post
    Does anyone change the ATF fluid in the "torque transfer" part of the rear diff when they change their gear oil? (typically every 15k or 30k miles depending on usage)

I just changed the gear oil and left the ATF fluid alone. Since I typically race the car in OFF-OFF mode I didn't think the AYC pump or clutches had to work very hard, so the ATF fluid should still be fine, right?

I just checked the fluid level in the reservoir after letting the car sit overnight and it's just below the max line.
    Uhh.......Off Off still has the AYC accelerator gears working in the rear diff.....which uses the pump and the clutch. AYC brake is where the pump and clutch isn't really used.

Moral of the story: Change your ATF when you change your gear oil
    How is that even possible if both AYC clutches for acceleration and braking are normally open. And they can't possibly be normally closed - pump failure would start dragging a wheel, which it's not.
    2.3L Fully Built MR, 640whp on E100 EFR7670 T4 EWG. Struggling with local shops and customs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're off off and going around a corner hard enough to trigger the AYC, you're still using the AYC clutch, are you not?

I probably could've worded it better, but what I meant to say is that when the AYC applies the brake in off on mode, the brake itself does not wear the clutch, the brake acting on one of the wheels on the rear axle is part of the computer using both the brake and the ayc clutch packs to control relative L R spin rates.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AYC is not using brakes unlike some electronic diffs on other cars. It uses braking and accelerating gears on a rear right wheel to help turn in. Brakes are used by stability control when you start to lose traction.
    2.3L Fully Built MR, 640whp on E100 EFR7670 T4 EWG. Struggling with local shops and customs.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys just confused the shit out of me... lol

So essentially what you're saying is there's no way to completely turn AYC off and it is constantly being used?

I always thought "off-on" turned off traction control and left AYC on; and "off-off" turned off both completely so neither would engage regardless of the situation.

Either way, my post was old and I did end up getting back under the car and changing the ATF fluid, so all the drivetrain fluids should be good until 30k.
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is ASC control. Why would you want to turn AYC off? One off stops cutting power, second off decreases brakes intervention. None of those modes change ACD or AYC functions.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then why does the message "AYC brake off" come up when putting the car in "off-off" mode?

The reason I want to turn AYC off is because I don't want anything to help me drive all the time... Sometimes it's great, like at hillclimbs where I don't have a ton of confidence yet. Other times, like at autocross, I want to be in complete control of what I'm driving so I can get better without any assistance from the car.

I guess I still don't fully understand how our AWD system works...

Last edited by flawlessninja; 10-15-2016 at 01:56 AM.
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evo x rear diff fluid change diy???

AYC is always on unless you physically remove the pump/loop lines. You might get away with removing a relay/fuse.

Off is no Traction Control (no power cut during wheel lift)

Off-Off is no brakes being applied (no brake vectoring)

If you want to change the behavior of how hard and how early it applies play with Tarmac/Gravel/Snow modes. IIRC snow will have the least activation of AYC but the most of ACD. Tarmac is inversed, and Gravel is mid of both.
    Last edited by xfonts; 10-15-2016 at 02:19 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flawlessninja View Post
    Then why does the message "AYC brake off" come up when putting the car in "off-off" mode?

The reason I want to turn AYC off is because I don't want anything to help me drive all the time... Sometimes it's great, like at hillclimbs where I don't have a ton of confidence yet. Other times, like at autocross, I want to be in complete control of what I'm driving so I can get better without any assistance from the car.

I guess I still don't fully understand how our AWD system works...

You bought the wrong car for not having nannies.

My advice would be to learn to drive with the nannies in Tarmac.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk