User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evo x rear diff fluid change diy???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evo x rear diff fluid change diy???

Alright guys. I have searched for about 4 months straight now, so don't give me the whole "Google it" spiel. All that I've found are threads like this, but everyone is arguing whether or not you need to bleed the diff. Is there a diy out there explaining how to drain and fill the the rear diff fluids? Or at least which fluid goes goes in which fill hole? Not for the ayc system, just for the clutch packs.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dudemanrod View Post
    Alright guys. I have searched for about 4 months straight now, so don't give me the whole "Google it" spiel. All that I've found are threads like this, but everyone is arguing whether or not you need to bleed the diff. Is there a diy out there explaining how to drain and fill the the rear diff fluids? Or at least which fluid goes goes in which fill hole? Not for the ayc system, just for the clutch packs.

bleeding is referring to the AYC hydraulic portion of the diff which is not a part of scheduled maintenance. Scheduled maintenance is simple drain and fill of the ATF fluid for the wet clutches and the differential fluid. ATF fill and drain are labeled on the diff itself as well from what I remember. I'll have to dig up the section of the maintenance manual detailing bolt locations. I use Motul 90PA for diff fluid instead of the Diaqueen.

found it
    Last edited by zabes; 03-28-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ beat me to it.

I admit there is a lot of conflicting info in lots of threads, so for a first timer it can be a bit confusing. No you do not need to bleed anything with a rear diff fluid change. It's just drain and fill. It is All spelled out in the service manual. Use diaqueen lsd gear oil for the differential mechanism part, and diamond ATF SP III for the torque transfer mechanism part. On the Google search "evo X rear diff fluid change", the image of the service manual page comes up. I'd post it but I'm short on time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zabes View Post

bleeding is referring to the AYC hydraulic portion of the diff which is not a part of scheduled maintenance. Scheduled maintenance is simple drain and fill of the ATF fluid for the wet clutches and the differential fluid. ATF fill and drain are labeled on the diff itself as well from what I remember. I'll have to dig up the section of the maintenance manual detailing bolt locations. I use Motul 90PA for diff fluid instead of the Diaqueen.

found it
    Awesome, thank you so much! I'm assuming you have to put it on 4 stands? Or can you just jack up the rear?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

found it
    Also, are you saying you use motul 90 in both the torque transfer mech AND the differential mechanism?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, thank you so much! I'm assuming you have to put it on 4 stands? Or can you just jack up the rear?

Also, are you saying you use motul 90 in both the torque transfer mech AND the differential mechanism?

I used Motul 90PA for the diff itself. Motul ATF for the torque transfer section.

You can get away with just jacking up the rear. If your small enough, dont even need to jack it up. Also, get a long run of 3/8" or 1/2" rubber tubing (like 10 feet. cant remember which size i used) and you can gravity fill the diff without needing to go the route of a fluid pump. Pumping 90w fluid sucks.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used Motul 90PA for the diff itself. Motul ATF for the torque transfer section.

You can get away with just jacking up the rear. If your small enough, dont even need to jack it up. Also, get a long run of 3/8" or 1/2" rubber tubing (like 10 feet. cant remember which size i used) and you can gravity fill the diff without needing to go the route of a fluid pump. Pumping 90w fluid sucks.
    Awesome. You've been a huge help!! Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZLAYER View Post
    ^ beat me to it.

I admit there is a lot of conflicting info in lots of threads, so for a first timer it can be a bit confusing. No you do not need to bleed anything with a rear diff fluid change. It's just drain and fill. It is All spelled out in the service manual. Use diaqueen lsd gear oil for the differential mechanism part, and diamond ATF SP III for the torque transfer mechanism part. On the Google search "evo X rear diff fluid change", the image of the service manual page comes up. I'd post it but I'm short on time.
    Thank you!!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ideally when you're draining that you want it flat. You'll need some sort of squeeze bottle to fill it.

2012 EvoX MR - 11.289 @ 123.24mph
    2015 Scion FR-S - D-Street in SCCA Solo II
    Info/Pics: Instagram / Build Thread
    Sponsors: DSGPerformance
    Founder: Evil Apex Racing

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone change the ATF fluid in the "torque transfer" part of the rear diff when they change their gear oil? (typically every 15k or 30k miles depending on usage)

I just changed the gear oil and left the ATF fluid alone. Since I typically race the car in OFF-OFF mode I didn't think the AYC pump or clutches had to work very hard, so the ATF fluid should still be fine, right?

I just checked the fluid level in the reservoir after letting the car sit overnight and it's just below the max line.
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flawlessninja View Post
    Does anyone change the ATF fluid in the "torque transfer" part of the rear diff when they change their gear oil? (typically every 15k or 30k miles depending on usage)

I just changed the gear oil and left the ATF fluid alone. Since I typically race the car in OFF-OFF mode I didn't think the AYC pump or clutches had to work very hard, so the ATF fluid should still be fine, right?

I just checked the fluid level in the reservoir after letting the car sit overnight and it's just below the max line.
    I have always done mine at the same time. It's not expensive, and doesn't take much fluid. I was under the impression that it has the same service interval as the rest of the driveline components, so I'd just do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also suggest to drive it after filling, then refill. Both rear diff compartments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i did this for the first time this past saturday. no complaints, pretty straight forward, messy as hell because i was doing under jack stands.

- definitely recommend fill, move care, check fluid if necessary. Metal shavings on the tcase bolt

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always do both fluids at WTF, to answer the previous question.

Do make sure to invest in a syringe instead of a stupid hand pump for anybody who chooses to do this himself.
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Mityvac syringe that I got on Amazon. Just wrap some electrical tape around the end until you get a good seal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, the same to me lol

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, AMSOIL sells a pump that actually fits their bottles perfectly down to the very bottom, and you can put in whatever fluid you want in them. Real headache saver for trans fluid change too.

The guy we all owe money to
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread revival..

Is motul atf (which doesn't mention atf sp iii) ok for the ayc fluid???

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If its synthetic, and "ATF", then its likely good to go.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tephra View Post
    Thread revival..

Is motul atf (which doesn't mention atf sp iii) ok for the ayc fluid???
    yes. I've been running motul fluids for my whole drivetrain and havent encountered any issues.

The guy we all owe money to
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ motul Multi atf right?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The ATF side of the diff is as simple as a drain and fill?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhh.......Off Off still has the AYC accelerator gears working in the rear diff.....which uses the pump and the clutch. AYC brake is where the pump and clutch isn't really used.

Moral of the story: Change your ATF when you change your gear oil

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tephra View Post
    ^ motul Multi atf right?
    yup