User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lightweight & OEM Replacement Batteries List

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once that Odyssey is drained it's never going to have the CCAs to properly power the car again. Mine full drained once and it barely starts the car now. Scrap it and move on. They're decent batteries when you get them new (yours had something go really wrong with it) but you won't ever get that one back to where it should be.

2012 EvoX MR - 11.289 @ 123.24mph
    2015 Scion FR-S - D-Street in SCCA Solo II
    Info/Pics: Instagram / Build Thread
    Sponsors: DSGPerformance
    Founder: Evil Apex Racing

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any such thing as a small, lightweight, deep-cycle battery? Or are they all starter batteries?
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Locust View Post
    Once that Odyssey is drained it's never going to have the CCAs to properly power the car again. Mine full drained once and it barely starts the car now. Scrap it and move on. They're decent batteries when you get them new (yours had something go really wrong with it) but you won't ever get that one back to where it should be.
    I hate to scrap something when it's never been used but only once. How could something have went wrong? Am I supposed to store it a certain way? It's literally been sitting in the trunk of the car for almost a year, disconnected at both terminals waiting to be used. And now when we went to start the car up after priming the fuel system 3 days earlier, it was completely dead.
    WTF 2.0 in Progress

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DereksX View Post
    I hate to scrap something when it's never been used but only once. How could something have went wrong? Am I supposed to store it a certain way? It's literally been sitting in the trunk of the car for almost a year, disconnected at both terminals waiting to be used. And now when we went to start the car up after priming the fuel system 3 days earlier, it was completely dead.
    I wouldn't scrap it right now, but that's just me. Try to recharge it using a slow charger. If you don't have access to one, jump start your car and let the alternator charge it for 20 to 30 minutes. If the battery keeps failing after that, then scrap it.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by psfp View Post
    I wouldn't scrap it right now, but that's just me. Try to recharge it using a slow charger. If you don't have access to one, jump start your car and let the alternator charge it for 20 to 30 minutes. If the battery keeps failing after that, then scrap it.
    I've got a charger at home that it will sit on. But I'll know if the alternator does the job when I drive it home since the drive is about 30 minutes or so and I'm sure I'll take a detour lol.
    WTF 2.0 in Progress

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't let the engine stall and you will be fine. Avoid unnecessary power drain sources, like radio, a/c fans, etc.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That battery is not meant to sit unused for long periods of time without being on a trickle charger. That you let it sit for a year unplugged is probably why it went dead. Will it be serviceable after you recharge it? Yes. Will it be free of issues? Unlikely. If you're going to buy a lightweight battery you should always stick it on a trickle charger when you're not driving with it for a while.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Locust what is the difference between having it sit on the shelf at a store for a year compared to sitting in my car? That's essentially what it did, sit.
    WTF 2.0 in Progress

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Locust what is the difference between having it sit on the shelf at a store for a year compared to sitting in my car? That's essentially what it did, sit.
    At the store it probably isn't going to sit in stock for an entire year. It also is a temperature controlled environment. The p680c isn't meant for cold environments and since you're up in STL I'm guessing your garage probably sees some days where it's below 40 degrees in there? It's by no means a cold weather battery. Keep it indoors during fall/winter on a trickle charger.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the store it probably isn't going to sit in stock for an entire year. It also is a temperature controlled environment. The p680c isn't meant for cold environments and since you're up in STL I'm guessing your garage probably sees some days where it's below 40 degrees in there? It's by no means a cold weather battery. Keep it indoors during fall/winter on a trickle charger.
    I didn't know they couldn't just sit around. You're right though, it does get cold here during the winter, which is what probably fucked it up. I'm going to drive on it and see if it can get any better, but I have a feeling I'll be ordering one of those Shorai batteries here soon.
    WTF 2.0 in Progress

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know they couldn't just sit around. You're right though, it does get cold here during the winter, which is what probably fucked it up. I'm going to drive on it and see if it can get any better, but I have a feeling I'll be ordering one of those Shorai batteries here soon.
    You could try charging it on a slow charge and see if it will hold a charge ok. You might lose a little bit of the lifespan but the battery could otherwise be fine. There are ways to revive batteries. Start the googling

Check out this link and the charging section

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/faqs/

Might be worth a shot?
    Last edited by lew-e; 04-26-2016 at 03:49 PM.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reviving this thread again. Anyone have any other batteries to add to the list in the first post? I definitely need to get a battery by March before I ship the car down to 5150.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Deka ETX20L, and it is getting pretty sluggish to start in the cold. And Texas cold is 30*. Keep the jump box handy.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a PC680 on one of my cars for 11 years. It was deep cycled at least three times (my bad, leaving an interior light on more than once) and measured about 0.07VDC when it was disconnected after noticing it was on for a couple weeks. Put it on a slow charger and it completely recovered all three times (recovered enough to start and power the car for several days at a time). Then it sat, disconnected, for at least a year between events. They're much more durable that most people give them credit for. I replaced it after 11 years just cause - the old one was still working. That's 5x longer than I've ever had any lead/acid battery last around here.

In any case the PC680 is a very small, low capacity battery and I only use it to start the car. Once it's running, the alternator provides all the power the car needs.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yxd68 View Post
    I had a PC680 on one of my cars for 11 years. It was deep cycled at least three times (my bad, leaving an interior light on more than once) and measured about 0.07VDC when it was disconnected after noticing it was on for a couple weeks. Put it on a slow charger and it completely recovered all three times (recovered enough to start and power the car for several days at a time). Then it sat, disconnected, for at least a year between events. They're much more durable that most people give them credit for. I replaced it after 11 years just cause - the old one was still working. That's 5x longer than I've ever had any lead/acid battery last around here.

In any case the PC680 is a very small, low capacity battery and I only use it to start the car. Once it's running, the alternator provides all the power the car needs.
    I've had a lot of issues with my 680. Trickle charger could not keep it healthy and if I do that and then put it back in the car it still ends up draining within a couple weeks.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .. and then put it back in the car it still ends up draining within a couple weeks.
    Yes. All modern cars have some power drain on the battery - non-volatile RAM in the ECU, radio, etc. If you leave a full-size battery in a car, connected, cor 6+ months you will have the same result.

I leave mine in the car, disconnected, when it's not being actively driven. Thus not much loss over time.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stock car is made to have sleep current way lower than battery self discharge rate. So it's not about all this stuff - either battery is bad or electrics are messed.
    2.3L Fully Built MR, 640whp on E100 EFR7670 T4 EWG. Struggling with local shops and customs.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So for replacing a battery with a stock sized battery....are Red Tops still the go to replacement. I have seen nothing out on the web suggesting otherwise, just figured I would check before purchasing.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk
    2010 GG Evo X

Power:
    AMS Down-pipe, MAP Resonated TP, UR Dual Exhaust, ETS Intake, Grimspeed 3 Port, Synapse DV, AMS Inter-cooler, MAP UICP and
    Tuned by Chet using EcuFlash
    Interior:
    AEM Boost and Wideband Gauges
    Suspension & Handling:
    Ohlin R&T Coilovers w/ 10k/10k springs

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Figured I would add to the list:

Bosch 35-650BAGM 37lbs, CCA 650

1.) Can vent left or right, just move plug and vent tube. I was able to retain stock location venting as a result.
    2.) 48 Month Warranty.
    3.) I purchased at Pepboy's for $152.64 after tax since I received a 25% discount in store to match an online special. Plus a $15 core charge for my stock battery.

2010 GG Evo X

Power:
    AMS Down-pipe, MAP Resonated TP, UR Dual Exhaust, ETS Intake, Grimspeed 3 Port, Synapse DV, AMS Inter-cooler, MAP UICP and
    Interior:
    Suspension & Handling:

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use this one. I'm not sure if it is covered on the table. It works fine.

KIMG0375.jpg

It is $529 and weighs 4.5lbs. If I had to do it over, I'd go with the C925. It is 8lbs.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post

1.) Can vent left or right, just move plug and vent tube. I was able to retain stock location venting as a result.
    2.) 48 Month Warranty.
    3.) I purchased at Pepboy's for $152.64 after tax since I received a 25% discount in store to match an online special. Plus a $15 core charge for my stock battery.

Nice lead on the Bosch battery. Looks like a good option!
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post

2.) 48 Month Warranty.

Nice lead on the Bosch battery. Looks like a good option!
    Thanks, figured for those who want to keep OEM starting reliability for street use and save a buck for other parts it isn't a bad option. It's also nice to keep venting as is and have a 48 month warranty, for $152 you really can't beat it....plus the battery is US made (wierd concern considering we drive Japanese cars, lol).

2010 GG Evo X

Power:
    Interior:
    Suspension & Handling:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you guys do about the terminals?? I picked up the Shorai and it has a different terminal design. I found some brass posts i can install to use the stock terminals but the way the battery is designed, the posts are sunken and they won't bolt on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HispanicPanic View Post
    What do you guys do about the terminals?? I picked up the Shorai and it has a different terminal design. I found some brass posts i can install to use the stock terminals but the way the battery is designed, the posts are sunken and they won't bolt on.
    You've probably looked, but when I picked up my Odyssey PC680 Battery they sold a terminal kit to adapt it to convert it to SAE terminals (they bolted into place). That's the most help I can, maybe someone make SAE terminals for your battery?