Page 43 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3341424344 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1095

Thread: Razorlab's 'simple' build

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    Razor, whats the contact info for the place that did you inconel shield? I want to wrap my manifold. Thanks
    @mityaz Sorry just saw this. http://www.atpwrap.com Don't let the website scare you off. Out of all the stuff around my car rebuild, this was EASILY the best experience I had. Super fast, great quality, great communication. I thought since they do military and other large contracts, that I wouldn't mean shit to them. I was wrong.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty much just letting my Evo sit because I don't want to have to deal with whatever is wrong with it right now.

My Fiesta ST lease is up next week so I picked up something to replace it.

It's some Turbo AWD station wagon thingie...

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hope this ownership lasts longer/happier than your Golf R's :P

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your not the only one to let the evo sit, while your mad at it

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
    Me too. It was just one R. Golf TDI then Golf R. Both didn't last a year.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    IIRC, you just found them too dull, didn't you? I have yet to even drive a GTI because I feel like I can already guess how it's going to feel to drive (though the MK7/7.5 review so well these days)

Wonder if you'll get bored of the Alltrack, though I guess the more-than-enough space on it could make up for it. Hopefully.

Definitely post more about it I've always appreciated VW's...but I could never find one enticing enough to consider buying

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC, you just found them too dull, didn't you? I have yet to even drive a GTI because I feel like I can already guess how it's going to feel to drive (though the MK7/7.5 review so well these days)

Wonder if you'll get bored of the Alltrack, though I guess the more-than-enough space on it could make up for it. Hopefully.

Definitely post more about it I've always appreciated VW's...but I could never find one enticing enough to consider buying
    The TDI was seriously the most boring car I have ever owned. The Golf R was a great car but not up to the performance level of an Evo and I wanted an Evo replacement at the time, which I found, in another Evo.

The MK7 chassis is way better than the MK6. If you can believe it, the Alltrack shares a good amount of parts with the MK7 R (The normal sportwagen shares things more with the normal golf). Has all aluminum knuckles, etc. It actually has better weight distribution than the R as well. It's a billion times more engaging than my MK6 TDI was, that is for sure.

Steering still feels artificial. Something that plagues all VAG cars. I'll miss the Fiesta ST steering and nimbleness for sure but I wanted AWD and more space in my normal car.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double double

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yeayeaatou View Post
    your not the only one to let the evo sit, while your mad at it
    Truth x3

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pushed my Evo out of the garage today so I could get to a bunch of oil jugs and other nonsense that I took to the hazardous waste facility today.

I also sat in the front seat and made vroom vroom noises.

Honestly I think I might be over it now. Anybody want to buy a really nicely built Evo 10?

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buy an R8 V10

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found out that the only stock fast cars you can buy and not look like a spoiled brat are Porsche...
    2.3L Fully Built MR, 640whp on E100 EFR7670 T4 EWG. Struggling with local shops and customs.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

at least...how's the alltrack?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pushed my Evo out of the garage today so I could get to a bunch of oil jugs and other nonsense that I took to the hazardous waste facility today.

I also sat in the front seat and made vroom vroom noises.

Honestly I think I might be over it now. Anybody want to buy a really nicely built Evo 10?
    Sure, how much you looking for @razorlab ? I'll trade you mine....

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @razorlab

I was just prodding out of curiosity before, but now I'm more curious...how is the alltrack? The A4 Allroad has been catching my eye lately as a possible next car for the fiance (not wanting to buy a god damn SUV like every other american is a huge motivator) and they're obviously pretty similar.

I want to consider the new Volvo's (the new V60 looks sexy), but I'm still sketched out by their powertrain reliability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently sold my A4 which I owned for 7 years. I really enjoyed the car but I must warn that it became a complete money pit after the warranty expired. My visits to the dealership every other month were costing $1500-$3000.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @razorlab

I was just prodding out of curiosity before, but now I'm more curious...how is the alltrack? The A4 Allroad has been catching my eye lately as a possible next car for the fiance (not wanting to buy a god damn SUV like every other american is a huge motivator) and they're obviously pretty similar.

I want to consider the new Volvo's (the new V60 looks sexy), but I'm still sketched out by their powertrain reliability.
    I went on a road trip last week from here in the San Francisco Bay Area up to the Northern California border and into southern Oregon, up to Crater Lake, through Umpqua national forest down through Ashland, OR and back into Northern California, through Trinity national forest and back home. The trip was over four days and I drove 1,400 miles. I started the trip with 600 miles on the car and got home with 2,000.

So needless to say, I spent some quality time with the car on some serious driving roads. My drive through Trinity was literally four hours of twisting roads with nobody on it. I was exhausted after that one.

The plot twist was that I had new suspension installed on the car before the trip. The first 550 miles of driving the car was sightly disappointing because it felt super floaty and vague, at one point it actually made my partner car sick. The floaty handling didn't surprise me because the ride is lifted compared to other MK7's because this car is VW's competition to the Subaru Outback. However I knew I had to change it because I wanted it to be more sporty.

Here is what I added:
    Koni Struts
    H&R Sport Springs
    034 Motorsports rear sway bar
    034 Motorsports front camber plates (now -2.1 front camber)
    Spacers front and rear

I can tell you that upgrading the suspension made even a larger difference than I had even hoped. It TOTALLY transformed the car. It now feels like a well sorted MK7 Golf R, no joke. I still have the OEM all-season tires so it won't be winning any track days but the car now feels super sporty and well sorted.

The car on those long drives I mentioned above was great. It's super comfy, the tech is great, the panoramic sunroof was awesome when driving through all the forests and it blasted through all the windy roads and was a lot of fun the whole time.

I also installed a Burger Motorsports JB4 which is a piggyback and the car gained 40whp/40wtq but the drivability is kinda weird and there is some slight clutch slip at peak torque, I am assuming from ECU/TCU torque mismatch so that pile of junk is coming off and I'm going to use Eurodyne Maestro to custom tune the ECU. Even with the 40whp/40wtq gain the car is still slow but not as slow as it was stock. At some point I can see myself swapping on the Golf R IS38 turbo.

Here is before/after the JB4, and YES, the OEM tune IS running Stoich 14.7 AFR at WOT! That caught me off guard and I still can't believe it.

Before/After suspension update:

Also had the car tinted and here are some other random photos I've taken:

Last edited by razorlab; 07-21-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didnt you just get a Golf R Wolfsburg station wagon?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Why didn’t you just get a Golf R Wolfsburg station wagon?
    They don’t sell the Golf R wagon here. This is the closest you can get to it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems like an error on VWs behalf..

Enjoy it - looks like fun

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SNIP

Well that's a shame to hear about the suspension, but thanks a ton for sharing!

How do you find the wind and road noise? That's the one thing I'm getting more sensitive too these days and some say it's kind of loud, some say it's as expected average in class. Did you get one with adaptive cruise and lane keep assist? How well does the VW version of those aids work?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you find the wind and road noise? That's the one thing I'm getting more sensitive too these days and some say it's kind of loud, some say it's as expected average in class. Did you get one with adaptive cruise and lane keep assist? How well does the VW version of those aids work?
    I'd find wind and road noise about where it should be for a Golf. Granted, I've owned mainly Mitsubishi's and VW's for my whole driving career.

It's the SEL model which is the highest trim level so it has basically everything. Panoramic sunroof. Nav. Carplay. Android Auto. Active Cruise Control which is actually pretty darn awesome, you can set distance between the car in front of you and it always maintains it. The lane assist thing works for lane drift but won't auto keep you in a lane in a corner, but on a straight stretch of hwy you can basically take your hands off the wheel and the car stays in lane and keeps space in front of you, so almost autonomous driving. I don't really see myself using lane assist much. It does do weird things when the road has some turns and it constantly tugging on your wheel.

It also has parking assist which will auto parallel park for you. I will never use that because I'm not a lazy fuck.

It has pedestrian emergency braking so if somebody steps out in front of you in like a parking lot it will put the brakes on for you. I thought to myself whatever, total gimmick and literally the second day I had the car I was driving through a parking lot and a woman stepped out in front of me from behind a truck and I almost went through the windshield. I easily would have reacted in time so I turned that function off after that. lol

The parking sensors are nice, I don't have to worry about backing into cars or walls or hitting parking curbs anymore.

One weird thing I found though is after lowering the car, with the parking sensors on, I literally could no longer back out of my driveway anymore. Every time I backed out it would auto brake for me because it thought I was going to hit the ground with a bumper because I have to go out of my driveway on an angle. I was laughing and yelling "dammit I'm stuck, I can't get out of my driveway!!!" hahah. All you have to do is push a button to turn it off though so no big deal, I just thought it was funny that it literally would not let me leave my house hahah.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One weird thing I found though is after lowering the car, with the parking sensors on, I literally could no longer back out of my driveway anymore. Every time I backed out it would auto brake for me because it thought I was going to hit the ground with a bumper because I have to go out of my driveway on an angle. I was laughing and yelling "dammit I'm stuck, I can't get out of my driveway!!!" hahah. All you have to do is push a button to turn it off though so no big deal, I just thought it was funny that it literally would not let me leave my house hahah.
    ok that shit is hilarious

how well does VW's adaptive cruise do in low speed follow (essentially, how well does it do in stop and go rush hour)

My Civic's ACC can leave a big enough gap sometimes that others cut in front. I've gotten used to it by just not caring as much anymore and letting ACC navigate me through traffic, but if I'm going to change cars, I want to get something that is at least better than what this Honda does

The Honda system is also overly brake happy when it needs to lower speed. I wish it would let itself coast down to speed more often than brake down, but dumb cruise control has used brakes for years so maybe I'm expecting too much.

Does the VW system have adjustable sensitivity to it's emergency braking? Honda gave me three on mine. Once I turned mine to the lowest sensitivity, it stopped being a nuisance. And thankfully Honda separated lane departure warning from lane departure assist, so I use the assist, and disabled warning. Last thing I want my steering wheel to do when I have to twitch back into lane is to vibrate left and right.

Not trying to sound like I'm boasting the Honda system, just trying to get context if it would be an upgrade or sidegrade (might wait for a refresh and hope for software updates to it if it still feels a little "beta")

But yeah, adaptive cruise is amazing It's spoiled me when it comes to even considering other cars now

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the VW already has a bad oil leak from the timing side of the engine, traced it to the upper timing cover area. Yay, so happy I need to bring the car to the dealer at only 2,000 miles...

Anyway...

Dropped the Evo off at the shop today.

He started with a leak down test of cyl #3. It's basically perfect at 2% or so. Compression as I stated before is also perfect at 178.

So now I am crossing fingers for a valve seal so head doesn't have to come off, if it's a valve guide the head has to come off I believe.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats good news man!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)