User Tag List

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Razorlab's 'simple' build

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, track day number three with the new build. I never really thought tracking a 500whp+ Evo 10 would be that challenging but I was wrong. I'm still getting used to this beast but dropping time every event even though the car keeps scaring the crap out of me. Went three seconds faster this event and got my personal best of 2:03 over the top at Thunderhill. This theoretically would be a 2:00-1:59 with the more popular bypass config at this track, which is my goal with this car, (and a VERY fast time for a street car) but I won't know for sure until I get to run that config again.

This day was about 10-15* warmer than last event and my oil temps hit a max of 277 which I guess means me cutting out more vents in the fender liner helped? I think I am finally going to loose my fog lights so I can get more airflow through the front, which is a bummer because I really wanted to keep them but hey... track life right? ;P

Here is a video of me catching up to and playing with a very well sorted race spec lotus. Fast driver, wicked car. At about 1:52 in turn 8, which is a very fast corner, at about 100 mph the car starts sliding and retains grip right at the edge of the run out which was a bit of a pucker moment for me. It's one of the more dangerous corners on this track so I always treat it with respect but I am pushing the car more now. It doesn't look very dramatic in the video but it rarely does. You can hear me be a bit verbal right after that.

Oh the new dual gopro mic setup worked really well too. Yay.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about everyone else, but I think the video is dramatic as hell.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, i checked the ZX10r radiator fan and you can make it fit on the bottom back of the setrab cooler. Some active air flow can be all you need.

Love the video man!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR
    Current
    2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. Self tuned

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like a blast! My palms were sweating watching you lose grip on that turn. I've experienced that on the street before which is definitely a tight butthole moment LOL.
    WTF 2.0 in Progress

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man that was intense!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legit video Razor, which mics did you end up purchasing ?

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BulliesAndBoost View Post
    Legit video Razor, which mics did you end up purchasing ?
    Behind the glove box:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In the trunk:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found the loss of power event in the logs! Same exact weird thing that happened to me on the street a couple weeks back except this time in 5th gear at over 120mph, everything goes all zig zaggy and the car falls on it's face and feels like crap. What the hell is going on here?

Note APP is still WOT (because I was), while TPS and others are doing the zig zags.

https://datazap.me/u/razorlab/thunde...om=27815-28188
    Last edited by razorlab; 03-31-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have “Over Boost timing retard” on?
    It looks like that or the V3 high knock throttle limit kicking, right?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OBTR wouldn't do that, it acts on timing values only. There is no high knock logged either. I have no idea of what is going on, never seen that before.

It doesn't look like a log error because APP value is correct and it is received at the same data package as TPS, so an incorrect received package would result in wrong APP as well. Not to mention the other crazy values.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post

Alright, track day number three with the new build. I never really thought tracking a 500whp+ Evo 10 would be that challenging but I was wrong. I'm still getting used to this beast but dropping time every event even though the car keeps scaring the crap out of me. Went three seconds faster this event and got my personal best of 2:03 over the top at Thunderhill. This theoretically would be a 2:00-1:59 with the more popular bypass config at this track, which is my goal with this car, (and a VERY fast time for a street car) but I won't know for sure until I get to run that config again.

This day was about 10-15* warmer than last event and my oil temps hit a max of 277 which I guess means me cutting out more vents in the fender liner helped? I think I am finally going to loose my fog lights so I can get more airflow through the front, which is a bummer because I really wanted to keep them but hey... track life right? ;P

Here is a video of me catching up to and playing with a very well sorted race spec lotus. Fast driver, wicked car. At about 1:52 in turn 8, which is a very fast corner, at about 100 mph the car starts sliding and retains grip right at the edge of the run out which was a bit of a pucker moment for me. It's one of the more dangerous corners on this track so I always treat it with respect but I am pushing the car more now. It doesn't look very dramatic in the video but it rarely does. You can hear me be a bit verbal right after that.

Oh the new dual gopro mic setup worked really well too. Yay.

Shit I remember Ryan gates and that brakes noise.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I ordered a set of Centric caliper seals and dust boots. One package has four dust boots and four seals and the other package has four dust boots and two seals.. wtf? Just my luck. Awesome quality control there.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    So I ordered a set of Centric caliper seals and dust boots. One package has four dust boots and four seals and the other package has four dust boots and two seals.. wtf? Just my luck. Awesome quality control there.
    the more i deal with people the more i realize that people simply dont care...
    I just had an assembled short block shipped to me from the machine shop (same exact build as my current set up). After i repeatedly told them to NOT put it down on the reluctor wheel (they ship without girdle attached) guess what they did? I try to know my boundaries with "telling" someone how to do their job, but I was quite upset when i opened the crate
    '11 GSR
    Current
    2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. Self tuned

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^damn that’s careless. That was Victory?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. I don't wanna name the shop. Just careless nonetheless
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea most people don't give a fuck. I've had to redo so much shit on my cars over the years.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd blast them if I were you lol. I mean they're the ones who fucked up after all
    WTF 2.0 in Progress

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally started doing Blackstone oil analysis on the new motor. This sample was taken after my two day track weekend where I beat the hell out of the car for two days on track. Oil temps hit almost 280 towards the end of each session.

Good to know even the standard non synthetic VR1 can take this and that the motor is healthy. I'm moving to synthetic VR1 for my next event to see if there is any difference.

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the research I’ve done and talking to engine builders, it appears that the Syntetic VR1 isn’t as good as the Dino oil.
    I haven’t tried it myself though.
    If the Dino VR1 is working, why change it?

Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And holly moly that’s a ton of Phosphorus and Zinc even after all those miles

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    From the research I’ve done and talking to engine builders, it appears that the Syntetic VR1 isn’t as good as the Dino oil.
    I haven’t tried it myself though.
    If the Dino VR1 is working, why change it?
    Interesting to hear that. Was just going to try the Syn VR1 to see. I'll probably go back to the Dino VR1 because it's easy to find locally and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    And holly moly that’s a ton of Phosphorus and Zinc even after all those miles
    Only 600 miles on this oil sample, mainly to/from the track and on the track. 2,845 miles on the engine at the point of me taking that sample. Either way, yea VR1 ain't messing around with the ZDDP.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey razor,

i wanted to see if you've tested any other set up for your oil cooler. I am trying to modify my oil cooling capacity so that i can keep my oil temps at the same level (230s *F) even at higher ambient temps.
    Here is what I am doing:
    1. I already ordered the JDM fog deletes. Once that comes in it will replace the right fog light.
    2. the fender liner is already drilled and more holes were opened up to increase air flow.
    3. I am thinking of actually mounting that fan on the cooler. I already made aluminum brackets and the only thing i would have to do is to wire it up.

So i was thinking maybe the fog delete will be enough to keep the temps down without the fan. I would hate to show up to a track day and then realize that my temps are 250+
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    Hey razor,

i wanted to see if you've tested any other set up for your oil cooler. I am trying to modify my oil cooling capacity so that i can keep my oil temps at the same level (230s *F) even at higher ambient temps.
    Here is what I am doing:
    1. I already ordered the JDM fog deletes. Once that comes in it will replace the right fog light.
    2. the fender liner is already drilled and more holes were opened up to increase air flow.
    3. I am thinking of actually mounting that fan on the cooler. I already made aluminum brackets and the only thing i would have to do is to wire it up.

So i was thinking maybe the fog delete will be enough to keep the temps down without the fan. I would hate to show up to a track day and then realize that my temps are 250+
    I just had my JDM fog light deletes show up this week so hopefully I'll some time to install them before my next trackday this coming Monday. If I do, I'll have some data for you.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe in you, Razor. I'm sure you will find time for such a crucial cooling feature. :-)
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Track day number four with the new build was yesterday. I'm starting to be much more comfortable with the car and it's showing. I broke my personal best by almost 2 seconds and now approx 1.3 secs away from my goal. Super happy with the car, it's f'in fast as hell, I'm going Hans device shopping this weekend because of it.

I'll do a more detailed write up with data and such in a couple days once I get some time. For now, here is a video of my new personal best 2:01 lap time.