Thread: 5150 racing oil feed line for ATP GTX3576R

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeesEvoX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NFSEvolutionGSR View Post
    Are people still having trouble with this? My ATP line seems to be working just fine. I scoped everything earlier today, and there was no oil anywhere. No smoking either.
    Do you still have PCV?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
    UT. what difference does it make? i do not have a PCV valve and mine blows more smoke than a crack head

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Having PCV still aids in turbo oil drainage under idle and cruise and deceleration, due to the vacuum draw on the crankcase, usually overcoming the massively undersized Garrett drain line.

350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are people still having trouble with this? My ATP line seems to be working just fine. I scoped everything earlier today, and there was no oil anywhere. No smoking either.
    Do you still have PCV?

UT. what difference does it make? i do not have a PCV valve and mine blows more smoke than a crack head

Having PCV still aids in turbo oil drainage under idle and cruise and deceleration, due to the vacuum draw on the crankcase, usually overcoming the massively undersized Garrett drain line.

so would u suggest running aPCV for this problem? since i think the DF catch can deletes it.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you still have PCV?

so would u suggest running aPCV for this problem? since i think the DF catch can deletes it.

I'd suggest anybody on the stock turbo keeping PCV anyway.

But if you need the extra crankcase ventilation, you definitely need to address the undersized drain line on the Garrett stock frame turbos. And it would be advisable to do anyway at the drain line is seriously too small. There's plenty of room there for a bigger one which is what gets me.

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original supposition about the smoking issue was that crankcase pressure was preventing the line from properly draining. I really doubt that this was actually the problem, but I never saw a satisfactory test either proving or disproving this. It would be really awesome if we could get a Mythbusters: Automotive Edition going.
    Mayhem is everywhere.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you still have PCV?

I'd suggest anybody on the stock turbo keeping PCV anyway.

But if you need the extra crankcase ventilation, you definitely need to address the undersized drain line on the Garrett stock frame turbos. And it would be advisable to do anyway at the drain line is seriously too small. There's plenty of room there for a bigger one which is what gets me.

huh. well on my GTX35R is spews oil like a bitch.

will probably have kozmic order one of these from u once by build gets further down the road

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stock JB snail allows, lets say for the sake of amusement, 50% more oil through it and has a nearly identical drain line routing pattern. No one has ever complained about issues even remotely similar to this on a stock turbo. Granted, the BB turbo is much more sensitive to oil volume and pressure, but the restrictor in the line should theoretically cause issues on the supply side, not the drain.
    Mayhem is everywhere.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oil burning issues are widespread on the Garrett stock frame turbos and I've had cars continue doing it even after both banjo bolt restrictions are placed. Especially on VTA catch can cars with looser built engines.

The Garrett drain line is not only smaller than stock (compare side to side), it's also not sloped at all for the first few inches out of the turbo. It's a horrible design and the root cause for lack of drainage from the turbo.

Nowhere and nobody recommends smaller than a -10 AN drain line for a GT/GTX turbo or other ball bearing turbo. The Garrett line is about -6 AN and there at a large number of people out there with oil burning issues.

There should be no need to restrict the feed line past the single restrictor that comes with the Garrett kit on the CHRA inlet. If you're left with restricting it more, that's indicating a drainage issue. Fix the root problem.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd believe the drain is the problem most defently.

It is 100% oil leakage on cold start up when oil pressure is highest. PCV setup in my mind has very little effect and is defently not a WOT related issues.

Intresting product, might be tempted to pick this up for the comming up off season. Wonder how much of a bitch it is to change with the turbo in the car. Imagine the T case has to come out.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nowhere and nobody recommends smaller than a -10 AN drain line for a GT/GTX turbo or other ball bearing turbo.
    Not going to argue that. I would, however, like to point out that other platforms, with totally different drain line sizes and configurations, require a specialty AN fitting in addition to the restrictor. Hell, Kent one along with my CHRA when I had mine rebuilt, and he had no idea what the turbo was for.

I also probably should have mentioned that mine is likely not a standard Gen 1 GTX3576R. I rather hope it is, but the possibility is there that it was messed with.
    Mayhem is everywhere.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    I'd believe the drain is the problem most defently.

It is 100% oil leakage on cold start up when oil pressure is highest. PCV setup in my mind has very little effect and is defently not a WOT related issues.

Intresting product, might be tempted to pick this up for the comming up off season. Wonder how much of a bitch it is to change with the turbo in the car. Imagine the T case has to come out.
    To do it in the car, you'd probably want to pull the t-case. I can ask my tech his experience with installing the first prototype unit yesterday.

If the car pushes oil at idle and cruise, having PCV again will help/bandaid the issue. But of course, if you're pushing oil from the turbo at WOT or under boost, it has nothing to do with not having PCV.

We wanted to illustrate exactly how small the Garrett-provided drain line is in the pictures I posted on Instagram. I can also show it next to the stock drain line - it's absolutely pathetic. Our line is -10 AN - no larger than recommended by pretty much all turbo installers and builders.
    Last edited by UT_EvoX; 08-10-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the drain line ceased all oil burning issues on our test car. I'll give an update when I'm done re-tuning it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the drain line ceased all oil burning issues on our test car. I'll give an update when I'm done re-tuning it.

As long as it works.
    Mayhem is everywhere.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did wtf ever make these to production??
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having the same problem with mine. My GTX3071R always smokes and pools at the compressor inlet. I'm going to ditch my DF Air Oil Separator for a Mighty Mouse PCV can like Razor. My tuner wants to try
    the ATP tsb banjo bolt to see if that helps. I'm hoping with both of those it clears up my issue. The slight oil burn masks the smell of the E85 corn

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adobo83 View Post
    I'm having the same problem with mine. My GTX3071R always smokes and pools at the compressor inlet. I'm going to ditch my DF Air Oil Separator for a Mighty Mouse PCV can like Razor. My tuner wants to try
    the ATP tsb banjo bolt to see if that helps. I'm hoping with both of those it clears up my issue. The slight oil burn masks the smell of the E85 corn
    The banjo bolt only reduces the issue not fixes it. This is the second time I have blown out the drain gasket as It just too small and the pressure keep blowing the gasket out.

Ill probably try contacting wtf as I don't think TJ is active here anymore.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after contacting wtf they no longer make the larger drain.

At this point im out of options and due to the pressure or backing up in the shitty atp drain line have blown my 3rd gasket.

At this point I have had enough fighting with this kit for 3 years. ATP shit is junk plain and simple. There TSB banjo bolt is a band aid fix to a poor designed drain.

Car goes up for sale this week, there a certain point where this is no longer fun anymore. Time to move on.

I feel sorry for anyone who continues to buy ATP junk ass kits where they continue to deny the issues and blame it on crank case pressure.