User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Exyia 2.0 - Special Edition done right!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exyia 2.0 - Special Edition done right!

Exyia's back!

For those that aren't familiar with my build threads:
    http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57947
    http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76378

The log was stopped short when I blew the motor at 2K13....yes, that's 2013. So where have I been?

Roll back to 2013...

Well even before the event (TX2K13), David had went over a motor build plan for me and eventual NASA TT2 class with a planned ~4 month turn around time. I guess it was meant to happen, since that was probably a week before I starved the motor.

Quick video thrown together for those curious/don't remember - not much detail since it wasn't exactly a happy day, but everyone was asking what happened.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVHMIfzcDf0

Anyway, at least a motor/TT2 build was planned out already, and I knew if I wasn't such a competitive person, I would have probably taken it easy and still had a working motor....but oh well.

David even offered me a good deal on another OEM motor to get me back up and running, but I declined and said "no, build that bitch."

>> FWD through the build process >>

There were some small hiccups along the way that are hard to remember at this point.

My SST Torque Damper was completely destroyed, one of the worst (at the time, I don't know if I still hold that record) Kozmic has ever seen. Funny because the SST felt completely fine and still launched like a bat out of hell without a single slow down warning.

Some other hiccups with some R&D on Kozmic SST clutches at the time that caused some delays, but nothing really noteworthy to talk about.

But the real problem was the machine shop. They screwed up the bearing tolerances.

They screwed it up twice. Yes, twice in a row.

The second time was very dramatic and called for big changes between Kozmic and the associated machine shop. I'll leave it to Kozmic crew on how much they want to detail that. It's not really all that juicy of a story and is old history by now.

I was completely calm and understanding the whole time through the build process. I have spent more than enough time at Kozmic over the years to know all the sorts of things that can happen through a build - so many of them out of everyone's control. Anything from a faulty product, to a delayed product, to troubleshooting said faulty product for days/weeks, customers changing their mind while waiting for the build to finish (SERIOUSLY DO NOT DO THIS OMFG), waiting on machine shop, etc etc

All I could do through this process was just be understanding and patient. (News flash to others - raising a shit storm isn't going to solve anything)
    I had complete faith in Kozmic no matter what. There would be no ultimatum with "finish my car or else ____." or else? else what? I'm not going to pick up the car and take it anywhere. I don't trust anyone else with an SST build. Responding in rage over the timeline wouldn't accomplish anything.

#exyiarant
    If you're going to raise hell, know what you want out of all of it - otherwise you're just starting a shit storm for no reason. Everybody will just hate each other at the end of it.
    If something happens that makes you so enraged to pick up and leave, then you might have just picked the wrong shop.

---

So because of all these delays, I pretty much just fell off the map. I'm not a person that is very into the car scene unless I'm involved in some way. Going to a car meet in a regular car just to see others isn't really my thing. I don't really care for looking at cars I would never own in my lifetime (even if I had the money, I don't see myself spending over 100k on a car). I get into other hobbies and stuff to keep myself occupied.

Oh, and I bought my first home. Funny the things you can buy without spending racecar money.

Then one lazy saturday at home, I get a call from David.
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    "How much power do we have to stop at for your Time Trial class?"
    (we had previously went over this at the start of the build, but this was a long time ago. I even had a spreadsheet and graph made)
    Quote Originally Posted by exyia
    "uhhh...I think around 440whp I think? I don't remember where I kept that spreadsheet, I'll have to make another one. Can I call you back later?"
    Quote Originally Posted by David
    "well the car just made 420whp at 20psi so....."
    Quote Originally Posted by exyia
    ".....................as in........the car is on the dyno now?"
    And that's how I found out my car was running...lol

The car still needed some small touches/fixes after that dyno session, but overall, this is what I ended up with.
    My low boost map is what I will be racing with, the high boost map for....becauseracecar shits and giggles.

When I was shown the numbers, it was about as I expected given everything else I've seen run on Kozmic's ACCURATE / calibrated dyno (weirdly, some people substitute the phrase "heart breaker" for "accurate").

I was neither disappointed nor jumping in excitement. I've seen enough cars/builds/turbo setups/etc run at Kozmic to have a guess at where it would end up. This was pretty much as I expected (which is good and satisfying to see). It was a weird feeling not being like other people and jumping off the walls to get my car back. It's not that I didn't want it, I just didn't see the point in getting excited about it (lol). I just have a very competitive mindset, and this is what was we planned based on class rules. Essentially, I just had a "everything is falling into place as we planned now" mindset.

BUT.....Eric himself told me the car was pretty god damn fast. Onyx told me the car was pretty fast.
    I just shrugged - everything on it was built for eventual NASA TT. I wasn't chasing after as fast as possible. I was chasing after fastest within TT.

Then I drove it. Yeah...it's pretty fucking fast.

---

And then...because the world hates me.

I lose my job. This is a few months after the oil price intially crashed. I thought I would be fine since it had been a while, but the oil price crash is real and it really fucking hurts.

In retrospect, I put myself in a situation to be easily cut from the work force. I transitioned from working in testing labs to designing/building and repairing lab equipment for said testing labs. I essentially asked too many questions on how things worked rather than just running my assigned tests, so I ended up here. I loved the position, but the department didn't generate any direct revenue. I was the newest person. My position was VERY important to those that knew, but put those two together and it's easy to see why I was laid off.

This really hurt. I was not ready for this at all. The oil crash really hit Houston hard. It wasn't that I lost my job - I left with such a useful skillset and I was honestly being underpaid there - but absolutely nobody was hiring. The whole industry and city of Houston was shriveling in pain from this oil crash. The only few (and I mean VERY few) positions open were for senior petroleum engineers - and I know exactly why...the old ones took early retirement and ran for the hills. For those that don't work in an oil/gas related field - that's how bad this oil price (still) is. It's been extremely rough.

I eventually found work again, thankfully not directly in oil and gas, but my racecar budget was hit really hard by this. Thankfully the 2-3 years of downtime waiting for a motorbuild has taught me to just enjoy what I have, but it still bums me out that I won't have as much racing budget for a while

---

Some time after picking up the car (I'd say maybe two weeks?), we had a local dyno day at Kozmic. I had been driving around on the low boost map just to get used to the car again inbetween oil changes.
    To my surprise, the high boost map didn't pull the ~500whp as expected. It pretty much matched what the low boost map performed.

Short discussion, and we decided to just put some more miles on the car and look at it afterwards.

---

We later found the culprit - the AEM fuel pump. Eric and David sighed and said it was pretty common. Eric offered to put another one in - but that one failed even faster to my luck (about 2 weeks, it would make funny sounds sometimes).

David and Eric was testing a new setup with an Aeromotive pump and solid state relay on another friend's car (as well as a few other customers) with a similar setup. We decided to wait and see how that panned out - to see if that would be the solution we're looking for.

Good news:
    It turned out to work as well as they expected
    Bad news:
    Tuning schedule was practically booked for the next 2 months

We'll come back to this later then...

---

Over the past two years, I got involved in plenty of things. Picked up some new hobbies. Started reconnecting with old friends and new ones. I mostly had a good time.
    But the one thing I realized is how much time and effort I put into #racecarthings, and how much better I enjoyed life.

Seriously...I got involved in so much bullshit and so much drama in the past year than I have in the past 5 years of my life. As we're all reflecting back on the 2015 and the upcoming 2016, it dawned on me that I lived a simple, satisfying life when I just focused on #racecarthings.

No matter what comes at you in life, do what makes you happy. Find self fulfillment and keep yourself thriving in self-satisfaction and self-fulfillment. For me, it was and will be my adventures with this car. My racecar budget may not be what it used to be, and I may not be able to race as much - but that won't stop me from enjoying it. Hope you guys enjoy the ride with me.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to celebrate having the car rebuilt with some proper, high quality photos. I didn't want to just start off a much delayed build thread with just phone pictures.

Alex Ventura is a local Houston photographer that I worked with WAY back in the day....anyone remember this?

well he's come a long way in the years since then (that was 2012, man time flies). He even made his second calendar and I was really honored to be a part of it!

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...94822056_o.jpg
    https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...24&oe=56F2C80D

Anyway, here's our photoshoot. Some of the shots and locations were completely unplanned, but I'm pretty happy with how all these turned out!
    *incoming photodump - minus the ones I already posted above*

and still my favorite

Huge thanks to Alex @Adventworks if he ever drops by and reads this. Will definitely plan some more shoots later inbetween racecar spending. If anyone in Houston is thinking of getting some shots done, check out his facebook page and/or his website!

Facebook page - drop a like to see other photoshoot posts. There's always something different and new with how big Houston's car culture is (something I really take for granted until I talk to other people in other states)
    https://www.facebook.com/adventworksphotos/?fref=ts
    http://photos.adventworks.net/
    Last edited by Exyia; 12-28-2015 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tl;dr
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    j/k, your car is awesome

I had no idea it was in that power range.

Are you on Eric's special 10 disc configuration? It's pretty nice.

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    j/k, your car is awesome

I had no idea it was in that power range.

Are you on Eric's special 10 disc configuration? It's pretty nice.
    Thank you!

I can't remember exactly because it was so long ago. Back then it wasn't officially released and was configurations/setups being experimented with, so it's listed on my invoice as "Magic Pack"

David ( @sty? ) says he's expecting 20% more fueling up top when the fuel pump is replaced, so let's see how much top end we gain on the high boost map

Main Components
    Kozmic K27 Stage 3 Shortblock
    - Manley Pistons and Turbo Tuff Rods
    - ACL Bearings
    - ARP Main Stud Kit
    - Ceramic Coated Piston Tops and Bearings
    Kozmic K27 Stage 1 Head Service + Port and Polish
    GSC S2 Camshafts
    GSC Beehive Spring Set w/ Titanium Keepers
    ATP Garret 3582R

Kozmic "Magic Pack Racing Clutch Kit"

Even on low boost, this setup is a dream to drive. I really don't mind the bit of lag at all. The car is extremely peppy at 5psi, and just screams under full throttle. The combination of a practically non-tapering top end and SST shifting on point just makes full throttle feel like a full Kill Mode switch. I can't wait to try out the high boost map when we get to that.

Last edited by Exyia; 12-28-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been waiting for you to post this up forever

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So now that the motor is done - time to get other details fixed.

First was the exhaust.

I don't know if it's just me getting soft, or the exhaust (inVidia N1) really has gotten louder and more drone-y over time. As excited I was to have the car back, my god the drone was unbearable at just a mere 65mph (and way worse above that).

And so I started looking all over. I felt like a complete newb all over again, as if I just got the car and shopping for my first purchase. I spent forever looking at all the options we have now in 2015 (though some of them have been discontinued). No matter what I did though, I could not bring myself to do dual exit exhaust.

Then that left me with single exits again, and trying to find a "tolerable" one with noise/drone is so hard based off just forum posts and shotty youtube videos.
    I settled on trying the MAP Single Exit Exhaust. Something that wasn't available in the early years of the Evo X. Main factors that swayed me to this was the name-branded -Magnaflow rather than just a generic/unknown brand- muffler as well as the style of the exhaust tip. I was so over the fart-cannon look and I liked how the MAP almost imitated an OEM option just pointing straight backwards.

Thanks to Chris Boone at MAP!

Up on the lift!

Next to the MAP

And install!

It just felt so weird to be looking forward to an exhaust install. You would think someone who's done as much as I have would be totally over something as silly as an exhaust system.

I was anxious to see if the drone was now at more tolerable levels. Reviews/input on this exhaust were VERY hard to find, and none of them really insightful.
    The exhaust tone was very similar as expected (being realistic, they're all single exit pipes).
    Then I hit the highway of course - the drone levels is what I was anxious about. Most events in the Houston area are a bit of a drive (at least half of them technically not even in Houston), and I knew a droning exhaust would just wear me out to the point of insanity.

After a while, I was a little (not completely) disappointed. The drone sounded the same. Not hugely surprising since differences between single exit exhausts are few and far between.
    Then I looked down at my speedometer......I was driving 90mph!!!

The drone sound may be similar to the inVidia N1, but I now realized that pretty much the whole drone/sound range was now shifted about 25mph upwards. The previous drone at 65mph was now at 85mph. Drone at 85mph around 100mph. Etc etc. The drone at an actual ~65mph was more than tolerable, just being a soft audible hum rather than an eardrum vibrating drone!

Very happy!

---

Next was the wing. My previous one was a carbon wing that I had topped off with a Rexpeed Gurney Flap, then painted the sides Wicked White, giving off a pretty cool two-tone effect that I haven't seen many people do.

But the extended period of the motor build left the wing starting to yellow. I browsed my options, but couldn't really find anything that I liked. I'm not really a big fan of wings on street Evo's except for the Esprit - the only wing that I feel matches the lines of the Evo X in a smooth way rather than look bolted on. As much as I don't really care about JDM, I've always loved the HKS CZ200s (how the Esprit wing was developed) from the early days of the Evo X.

Then, as some of you know, I found an opportunity to get this very wing! @Madmartigan
    I really didn't want to spend so much on a wing, but I just wasn't sure on rocking wingless, nor spending to just have an OEM style wing again - and this is probably the only chance I'd get to have one of the only wings I actually like on a street/daily Evo (and c'mon...it's actually INFRONT of me at Kozmic)

Off of Madmartigan's car
    Onto mine! Went right through the OEM holes.

Very satisfied

---

After getting this wing, I felt like this would be the perfect compliment to a bottom "black-out" theme that I've always been on the fence about. My old JDP front lip was destroyed from hitting a tire-wall (damaged the bumper to the point of needing replacing as well, but there's not really a story behind that). I thought now I could pull off the "overlay" lips like the Greddy in black with the rest of the bottom trim painted.

I'm pretty satisfied with the results with some inexpensive plastidip. Rear corner extensions were just some replicas off eBay that I'm mostly satisfied with. I might them professionally painted down the line when funds are available, but for now I'm pretty happy.

But now the headlights REALLY stood out.

After much reading and questions, I decided to just get brave and do a headlight overhaul that I've always wanted to do - get rid of the chrome and orange. Really push the white black-out theme.
    - Nightshade spray on the side and front reflectors
    - Evo X-R Projectors (yes, they are 100% OEM fit and replacement - absolutely no modification)
    - SuperbrightLED 6k LED DRL
    - iJDMToy switchback LED - white on passively, switching to amber when in use (which is the color they should be by law)

Man, I don't know why I dreaded this so much. The install was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than I thought it would be. Opening the headlights was NOWHERE near as bad as I thought it would be. I have an electronics background, so the wiring/soldering part was easy. Really the worst part of the whole thing was just taking the god damn bumper off again.

In retrospect, I'm not sure I would bother replacing the DRL's instead of just disabling them. After blacking out the reflector, they aren't anywhere near as prominent - just a faint glow now rather than a bright light (had the LED's installed for a few days before taking on this overhaul).

Also, the upgraded projectors was a HUGE upgrade. I was not expecting this much, but I was disappointed by the OEM output and didn't want to second guess myself on "should I have done it while I had them off the car". I'll try posting pics later.

Seriously - if you're thinking about doing the headlight blackout, DO IT. It's really not that bad. When heated up enough, the headlights really do pop open with very little fuss! It's 100% worth doing!
    ---

Next was tires. My street tires had so little tread on them that it wouldn't drive straight anymore - but this was right around the time of my unemployment. I had to drive on my R compounds for a few weeks (granted, you don't drive much when you don't have a job to drive to everyday) until I could both find work and find the funds to get some tires again.

The discussion thread on street tires for those that do NOT play double duty was on the old boosted forum. Having either tried or heard reliable feedback on most tires, I decided to give @razorlab 's recommendation of Bridgestone Potenza S04's a try. He's been driving much longer than I have and he recommended them highly.

Total price was around the high 700's for a set of 275's, which is a great price point for a PURELY street tire. I wouldn't bat an eye at spending twice that on a set of R compounds, but when you have a dedicated set of track tires, spending that much again on tires you know you will only drive on the street is just plain silly.

Initial impressions
    - I did notice a much softer sidewall than I was expecting, but I had also been driving around on Rcompounds......and it did feel more comfortable, so a fair trade-off
    - No annoying tire noise/drone like some tires have
    - Great grip for STREET driving. No noticeable understeer in any corner I would ever encounter on Houston streets (we don't have "canyons" to carve here)
    - Never slipped in the wet/rain

Pretty happy with these tires for the street. For a respectable $750, a great recommendation! Thanks @razorlab

More experience and input on these tires - as well as one more update on the road to get here! (it was not a smooth one - the motor build was not my only setback...ohhhhh noooo)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the wing uv clear coated if @Madmartigan didn't already have it done. Will prevent it from yellowing

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My car looks funny as hell in that pic. Ugly "painted" wheels, dirt everywhere, no wing, no front bumper or side skirts.

I do miss that wing though. The Aeromotions is just so overkill. It looks much better on your white Evo.

The wing was clear coated already. In fact, the Esprit wing is a little funny. The stands only come in dry carbon, no matter which version blade you get. So the stands got like 7 coats of clear coat.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't thank you enough! It really brought the whole theme together and actually made this rebuild look different from old Exyia!

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the MAP single exhaust came the PWJDM Tow Hook. I've always wanted to fill the other outlet and I don't know why I've put it off for this long. A bit of red accent to go along with red brembo's (thankfully I like them red, so I don't have to go through the whole powdercoating process/cost)

I would have liked to get a front one done as well, but the install is a bit more involved...and there's far more important things that need my funds right now!

---

I think that's most of the details addressed, so then was the time to tell everybody I was back!

It was just so conveniently that there was a big car show coming up, one of the hosts being the photographer that did the shots above!
    I had never done a car show before and I felt honored to be invited to be a part of it! The anticipation for the show had gotten so big they had to move to one of Houston's biggest convention centers 3 weeks before the actual show! Local news media would be there along with some big name models that others knew (sorry, no idea who they were until now - but they had huge followings!)

I probably spent all day doing my best attempt at a detail job. I was so excited to have all the other fixes done and start to enjoy the car again.

I was completely prepped. Car was clean, camera ready, less than a 1/4 tank of gas (fire marshall would be checking every car coming into the convention center).
    I decided I could use some fresh microfiber towels for the show, so I headed for a late night trip to Walmart.

about 1AM, got my towels.....anddddddddd right as I pulled out of the Walmart parking lot to head home......

loud clunk....followed by an extremely rough 1st->2nd shift

Ok....that was weird.....wait at the light to turn left towards my 5 minute drive home.

even more abrupt 1st-2nd shift.....It felt as if something was latching onto the drive shaft and stopping it from rotating....

Even though the drive home was short, I decided to just pull over. I managed to coast into a parking lot, into a parking spot. Transmission service required light comes on as I pull into the parking lot......great......

Turn off the car and sit in silence. Hope it was a fluke, but had a bad feeling it wasn't.
    Now the car would not go into any gear. The clutch(es) sounded like they were playing the drums rather than actually engaging.

Fucking awesome.
    David and most of Kozmic crew were on their way out of town to an Import Face Off event.
    Eric was out of the country tuning cars.

And good fucking lord - finding a flatbed towtruck this late at night when you're NOT blocking the road is god damn near impossible. The police did not give two shits to help, not even on their "non-emergency" line. I forgot how complete scumbag towtrucks are - most of them in Houston hispanics that don't speak any English and can't understand my requests for a flat bed truck.

I then look around at the restaurant/bar/grill where I parked next too. It was pretty busy this friday night, so I figure I would ask if it would be ok if I left my car overnight to find a tow truck in the morning - when sane, english-speaking, professional towing companies were open. I walked in and saw a security guard, so I figured he would be the best person to ask before asking for the manager.

The security guard literally laughed in my face, saying this was definitely not a safe place to leave it overnight.
    I thought he just didn't want to take any responsibility and told him it'd just be a few hours before I come back and pick it up.
    He laughed again. Awesome.......
    He showed me around to the back of the parking lot, and showed me 4 cars that had their radio's stolen from this very parking lot. He said he was hired because of the crime here, but when the restaurant closes, nobody's here to help.

Fucking awesome.....guess I'll spend another hour looking for a god damn tow truck.
    I somehow found one, and the driver spoke great english. His tow truck was far more than I expected and he actually turned out to be a tow truck driver for a premium super-car oriented bodyshop. I was just happy to finally get home. And since he spoke english and professional, I could talk him into taking a check instead of making an ATM run for cash.

Waited for Kozmic crew to get back, then had the car towed again over there. Obviously I missed the Spekture car show.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    :/ hope it isn't anything major

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, so you stole my wing!

Karma's a bitch, huh? j/k

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! my luck did turn for the worst after I bought the wing now that you remind me haha

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post

LOL! my luck did turn for the worst after I bought the wing now that you remind me haha
    The curse of Madmartigan!

FYI, I think I have the Esprit white decals that were sent with that wing if you want them. Let me know and I'll mail them to you.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David and Kozmic crew got back from IFO, but Eric was still out of the country for another week and without stable enough signal to contact.

meanwhile, Eric's 200mph beast was back from said Spekture car show!

Onyx did notice that the car was moving too much while in "Park". That can't be good...David had never really encountered that symptom either.
    Best we could do is wait until Eric comes back before proceeding. This definitely wasn't a "normal" (as if there ever is one) SST breakdown.

I really was expecting the worst.

---

Eric would come back late Saturday night, but Kozmic is closed on Sunday and Monday. I didn't expect an update for a while.

I got a call from Eric on Sunday night. He "broke" the news to me (haha )

Good news is that Eric has the parts in stock to fix it, but he was then quick to be blunt - "This is going to be expensive."

"Kevin, you really blew this thing up. I have never seen this before. What were you doing?"

If I was honestly street racing or other shenanigans, I'm not afraid to admit it. But I really wasn't doing anything...

My SST was fine; at least, not the culprit of what just happened

But I had absolutely destroyed my front diff.
    absolutely.
    destroyed.
    it.

Eric/David/Kozmic has NEVER seen a front diff on a 6speed/SST car break like I managed. They have never heard of one breaking. Only one company in Australia is even rumored to make an upgraded one. 5speed front diffs going out was somewhat common on competitive Evo's, but not on better 6 speed design.

I'm no trans/t-case expert, so I'll let the pictures of the carnage speak for itself. I'm sure Eric and David could detail it more if anyone was curious.

For reference - here is how a normal 5 speed breaks - the pins snap/break off; somewhat common on what is otherwise a great 5 speed transmission

Here you can see the casing for my 6speed. The diff pins are more enclosed........

but.....as you can see....I managed to crack the whole housing.....

this one is slightly worse

now let's roll it over and see the other two...

uhhhhhh........

yeah....

That picture about sums it up really.

So yeah...I absolutely destroyed it.
    Main culprit Eric could think of was just how hard I drove it on competitive, sticky tires.
    The car may only have ~20k miles, but I can't think of anyone else who has been as active and competitive as I have in an Evo X. Where as most other people would attend ONE event each month, if that....I was attending two, if not three each month. With Houston's extremely competitive local region (that I have learned tons from just racing against), Racecomp Engineering helping me with suspension feedback after every single event, and how aggressive I had learned to drive to be nationally competitive ever since my first national tour....I guess I shouldn't be too surprised at this explosion. I really can't think of anyone else who has been as active and competitive as I have in such a short period of time.

More pictures of the carnage - here's the drained out fluid. SO MANY SHAVINGS IT'S ALL SHINY!!!

What if we just dip a magnet in there?

---

To my surprise, Eric had the car finished the next DAY.

I never said it was urgent. I had already had a car to borrow from my parents and I was expecting to be without the Evo again for a while (I always expect the worst). I really couldn't thank Eric enough. After seeing the carnage that I had caused, I just did not expect him to work his butt off through the night, WHILE Kozmic is officially closed, to get me back up and running...

Being picked-up, just finishing the teach-in on the SST

gloomy, but ready again........

Boy......so glad this is behind me now. What a weekend.........
    I heard the Spekture car show was great though!

http://houston-streets.com/spekture-2015/

Next! Suspension problems! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    Last edited by Exyia; 12-29-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh the joys of Kevin's EvoX.....this thread takes me back to each round of school this car has taken us to .

More girl + Evo pictures please, otherwise carry on.
    Kozmic Motorsports - The World's leading Getrag DCT470 / SST Transmission Experts!

2009 RA - Kozmic stg500 - Worlds Quickest and Fastest RA, among other records.
    04 Evo8 - 724hp - 10.001@149 - SOLD
    03 Evo8 - 860hp-665ft/lbs - SOLD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It must've been terrifying when ERIC tells you it's something he's never seen before

On the plus side IT WASN'T THE TRANSMISSION !!!!!!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn dude... stop breaking your car!!
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 day and almost 300 views already!? o.O wow, thought it would take a while longer to get people to notice my build thread again......

Side-track post

I had a fantastic event this past sunday that I can't wait to post about. This amazing shot is making it's way around facebook. I love so much about this picture - just feels gritty and aggressive.

(Yes, my right fog light LED bar is out - I drove it REALLY fucking hard through the day lol; already fixed it now)

I don't want the hassle of dealing with a facebook "page" (and it feels so self-centered), so feel free to add me on facebook if you're into social media.
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.liu.984786

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright differential is fixed!

Early on after the motor/build/tuning was done, we had suspicions of an oil leak somewhere with a somewhat more than expected oil consumption. When the car was in for surgery, we found the oil pan leaking slightly.

Small leak, but to reseal it properly, I would need to leave it overnight to let the sealant sit properly and do it's job. No big deal, left it the next friday. Pan has been resealed up.

Next to another RCE equipped car

As Onyx jacked the car up to check one last time and put the undertray back on, he found.......nothing!

Sweet, are we done now? Can I do racecar things again?

Jack gets lowered. Car returns to the ground.
    Right wheel creaks and clunks uncomfortably.
    Onyx, David, and I all look at each other funnily.

We play with the jack for a few minutes - Raising and lowering the car off the ground. The wheel is rocking in an unnatural way.
    David leans on the wheel and it bows inward..................................

JRZ RS1 shocks needs a rebuild. It's leaking oil and the shaft is just bowing back and forth along it's length.

This starts the WORST part of this WHOLE rebuild process for me. This next experience is by far the most MISERABLE I've been through getting the car back together. More than ANY portion of time over the two years I've waited to get the motor done. This. was. hell.

(I was going through a HUGE personal drama/relationship struggle as well at the time, so maybe I was overly emotional? I don't think so, but I'm just glad this is behind me)

raw footage from my phone (click image below - too bitter to bother putting this on my youtube)

This is actually my second set of JRZ RS1 shocks.

To be honest, I have not had good luck with my JRZ's. Nobody at Kozmic was impressed with them. My first set of JRZ's lasted about 4-5 months until we found the front shocks leaking.
    Me being at my competitive prime in SCCA, I wanted to just keep going. Shit happens and I drove them really hard. I just bit the bullet and ordered a second set of shocks. A full set of second shocks. No talking over why my shocks might have blown so early, or if it should be covered or not. I was still a loyal and believing customer and just chalked it up to another bad luck happening. I decided that with my heavy competitive activity, it would be better to just have two pairs of shocks - one to send off for rebuild without having to sit the car inoperable on jack stands.

Fast forward to now. Now my second set of shocks is leaking AGAIN, and I've done nothing but put break-in miles (~3000 at this point) on the fresh motor. The car was still driveable as a daily, but it was miserable.

I get in contact with Myles at RCE. After being on a near 3 year hiatus at this point, he wants to fully understand my story and asks for all the details so he properly relay the information Bryan@JRZ down the street (RCE and JRZ used to share a building a few years ago).

I've never talked with Bryan or anyone at JRZ. I've always consulted with Myles and Andrew at RCE/GTWorx for suspension. Given their history and my lack of, Myles was more than happy to get me taken care of. He would speak with Bryan when he got back from his Porsche weekend race at the time.

Both Bryan and Myles are busy people. They run successful companies and have been for many years. I am always one to respect someone's time. I have seen Eric and David work through countless restless nights at Kozmic. You might seem like you're asking a simple question, but you could be shoveling onto a toppling jenga tower of things that need to be done with requests left and right throughout the day. Not to mention Bryan and Myles are frequently traveling for work.

I went a week without a response, but did get a reply from Myles that he did not forget about me and was between emails with Bryan while traveling (I forget where, but work/suspension related).

Another week passes, I don't get much of an update - but Myles assures me he has been talking with Bryan the whole time to get me sorted out. Again, I have never dealt with JRZ directly, but Myles and RCE crew have treated me very well throughout my whole build since day 1 of 2012. I have as much faith in them as I do with any of Kozmic crew. Every time I ask politely if there were any updates, I always wish Myles the best afternoon/weekend.

Myles then comes and asks me again for the WHOLE story on my car. He wants to make sure he has all the details to explain my situation to Bryan.

At this point, I'm so sick of driving a rattling, creaking car and just want the (front, never had problems with the rear) shocks rebuilt. Whether Bryan is just busy or discussing with Myles if these mostly new shocks.

Myles comes back finally with Bryan's response.
    Bryan says it would not be cost effective to rebuild these older revision RS1 shocks, and is offering to sell me ANOTHER set of shocks on the new revision.

But I have two.....
    I have been a loyal customer and bought two sets of shocks to deal with rebuilds. Now you're telling me these are scrap metal?
    Did he offer me a good price on the new set? Yes, it was an ooooook price
    Was it cheap? NO
    Would he rebuild the shocks? He could, but was adamant that I buy another set

Myles wanted me to call him right away after I read his response to talk over our options. Myles was not happy. Nobody at RCE was happy about this.

I told Myles straight away - I would feel like a complete chump if I took Bryan's offer. I just can not do it.
    I can not drive my car knowing I was suckered into THREE shock purchases. I could not tell myself I was a happy customer. I could not go to events proud to represent their product. I could not honestly respond to the question "how do you like your JRZ's?". What would I say? "Oh, I'm not really a satisfied customer and didn't get very good service, but I still run and compete on his product."

If someone told you that, you would think that person is an idiot. A complete gullible chump. I just could not do it.
    There were other places that could rebuild the JRZ's....but I just couldn't bring myself to run the brand any more. I would be fooling myself to think I would be happy after this hump in the rebuild. This would constantly haunt me going forward.

So I asked Myles what my other options were. Ohlins had gotten a huge price drop a few years ago, I couldn't see myself paying for JRZ's for a third time.
    But Myles told me Ohlins just would not be a good fit for my application. He was upfront about it. They would not be up to snuff.
    Ohlins R/T coilovers are great for what they are - but the Evo X community has vastly overhyped them. They are not a competitive racing coilover. They are a well built shock for sporty enthusiasts. Myles ENSURED me that they would not have the valving range I would need to be competitive - they would be a downgrade from the RS1's.

Sadly, there weren't many other options for the Evo X aside from full race coilovers. We looked to KW next.
    For those that don't know, Racecomp Engineering works very closely with KW on their Subaru lineup of products with RCE Tarmac II and III shocks/coilovers. They have a very successful history with custom built KW based suspenion on WRX's, STi's and especially the BRZ/FRS.

equipped on the STi next to me:

In fact, Randy Pobst - who I'm sure most of you are familiar with if you've watched Motor Trend's youtube channel (great content there btw) - once drove an RCE setup BRZ.
    "Best Handling Car Ever"

Doesn't get better than that

Myles knew that if we went with KW, he would have all the support he needed to support me. Myles had been a few weeks into tuning new KW Clubsport 3-ways for the 2015+ STi's and couldn't say good enough things about them. He looked up what their Evo X offerings were.
    KW v3 - definitely not. A street oriented coilover. We were looking for their clubsport lineup.
    He found their clubsport 2-way and 3-way.

Myles still wasn't confident that the 2-way clubsports would be enough. They would be better than Ohlins, but not enough for my experience and competitive level. While he was not one to gloss over the price of 3-ways, he took time explaining the vast upgrade differences in shock design if I stepped up to the 3-way.

The 3-way was expensive. Very expensive, but would provide everything I was looking for. HUGE amounts of valving range and flexibility, with UNBEATABLE reliability (Germans treat motor vehicles much more seriously over there - remember Top Gear's episode where they had German inspections done? Every car in Germany has an autobahn availabe to them).

It took me a while to decide.
    I was already out over $5k on JRZ's that I now had to get rid of.
    My refrigerator broke recently - related because that also cost me nearly two grand at the time to replace

The 3-ways would be the first time I EVER stretched my budget this far....WAY more than when I bought my home.
    But it's the last year of the Evo X. We already know what Ohlins are capable of. 2-way Clubsports would be similar as well.
    After everything Kozmic had done to setup this car for a competitive road coarse build, going with tame shocks just to recover from wallet shock made no sense to me long term.
    It HAD to be the KW Clubsport 3-ways.

---

As much as these coilovers hurt financially, I was excited to just have some quality suspension from a brand I could count on. As great as the RS1's were for the price (it's seriously hard to find a better shock for the money), I just would feel ashamed to be seen competing with JRZ's going forward. I was excited for these clubsports. I was excited to have 3-way adjustability that I've always wanted.

They are made to order since KW USA did not have any on hand (didn't really expect them to keep a big stock of them in inventory)

When they arrived! So much german! So much excite!

Right away - the stereotype of OCD german quality was apparent. Immediately you could tell the packaging was MILES better than any time I got an RS1 back from JRZ. I never questioned how poorly packaged JRZ's were until I opened these.

Not only was the quality astounding - the DOCUMENTATION. The documentation (printed in both English and German which made it confusing to navigate at first) was VERY clear. It really felt like I had bought a shock built by engineers - not some motoring enthusiasts in a large garage and machine shop. Their initial setup documentation took into consideration factors such as vehicle weight, ride height, spring rate, etc.

They come assembled with 11k springs. Myles and I both thought it would be a bit soft, but since I was already hugely stretched on funds, I decided against ordering stiffer springs.

This post took way longer than expected, so more to come later!

spoiler alert - they're awesome

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The KW clubsport series is well regarded and a great choice. Good for you man!

Out of curiosity, did you look at Moton's at all? I've been eyeballing their 2 way adjustable setup for a while which was right in your price range for those 3-ways. I'm just curious if you have any opinions on them.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DKevoX View Post
    The KW clubsport series is well regarded and a great choice. Good for you man!

Out of curiosity, did you look at Moton's at all? I've been eyeballing their 2 way adjustable setup for a while which was right in your price range for those 3-ways. I'm just curious if you have any opinions on them.
    Maybe RCE crew will chime in later - but me personally it was their good relations based off their Subaru platform. I just wanted to know I would be treated well after taking a complete loss on JRZ. I always thought of KW as a somewhat "mainstream" company, but after deeper research - they really know what they're doing.

An excellent factory tour here:
    http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...lant-Tour.aspx

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KW Clubsport 3-ways installed

Even after looking through KW documentation, consulting with Myles and Andrew.....these were still a bit overwhelming.

At the default KW recommended settings, I found the car didn't squat under power as comfortably as the RS1's did (though I'm still getting used to 440whp) - but now I was overwhelmed by three adjustments to tune the problem out instead of just one simple rebound knob.

Well, I'll figure this out over time. Even at sub-optimal settings, they feel fantastic to drive on. The car finally feels like it's almost done.

---

I guess that means I should start going to meets and being social again!

Houston Subaru vs Evo 2

My car was not back together for the first meet, but I heard great things about the event.

Weather wasn't the greatest - we had rain for last 4 weekends straight (no exaggeration).
    Quality of these photos wasn't the greatest - because as you'll see below, this was a busy day!

and there's Alex@Adventworks

his coverage of the event is obviously better than mine!

more here!!!
    http://photos.adventworks.net/subaru-vs-evo

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The HSVE2 meet was across town, and Alex and I were sick of waiting for a weekend without rain to get the photoshoot done - so we just said "fuck it" and said let's try anyway. Thankfully it dried up and the sun did eventually come out.

As we drove across Houston back towards home, we got our photoshoot done in various spots

Then there was Eat Sleep Car Meet. I haven't been to one of these meets since they first started years ago...

I forget how much I take Houston for granted until I talk to some of you guys in other states. The car scene is SOOOO huge in Houston it's easy to tune things out and become numb to it. So many cars here that would turn your heads we find completely average and boring here. I'll do my best to give a bit more insight on how big Houston's car culture really is here.

These meets have gotten huge though...
    I couldn't even get any good panning shots of how big this meet was. Saw a few Evo's and Subaru's from the same HSVE2 meet this morning!

These three felt special - not sure if they are or not, but they made themselves a display???

I parked to a new STi in this weird blue I haven't seen before. Still had paper/temp plates, so maybe this is a limited run color?

hulk themed FRS in the background. Weird to do a Hulk theme on a small dainty car like the FRS...but....you see all kinds of things in Houston

One standout thing.....this pearlescent paint job on the RX7. I have NEVER seen this paint job in person before - only in Need for Speed lol.

Seeing it in person though......oh my god. It really does mess with your brain......................

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!?

some other coverage from Alex (since we were coming from our photoshoot)

more here!!!
    http://photos.adventworks.net/escm-33