Thread: Madmartigan's "Mad_Evo" Build

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Doesn't look like you have enough carbon fiber lol

J/k Looks nice man!
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Madmartigan's "Mad_Evo" Build

Thank you both. Yeah, I think I have officially changed every nut, bolt, & bushing on the Evo and all but 3 body panels.

The hope is to never have to work on it again. I am going to be afraid to drive this thing once it gets back for fear of it deciding it wants to break again.

I do have to compliment Colton at Wasatch Turbo Factory. He truly has been thorough in looking over the Evo and making sure that every little detail is being properly addressed and corrected. I am looking forward to getting it back and getting some proper photos.

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
    The hope is to never have to work on it again.
    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Sorry I had to.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    The hope is to never have to work on it again.
    HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Sorry I had to.

That’s fucked up man, don’t shit on people’s dreams like that man! Lmao

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's not wrong. I plan to have a very nice looking garage ornament with a For Sale sign on it.

I said "I" hope to never have to work on it again. I will take a $120k loss just to get rid of it.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, you guys...

it's real shit tho. it's probably gonna explode in some way anyway. im on my 3rd motor. razor is about to have a his second meltdown. black e could have built cities in rural africa with the amount of time and money and blown motors that he's had. I love the evo, but damn i wish i would have picked something else.
    '11 GSR

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    lol, you guys...

it's real shit tho. it's probably gonna explode in some way anyway. im on my 3rd motor. razor is about to have a his second meltdown. black e could have built cities in rural africa with the amount of time and money and blown motors that he's had. I love the evo, but damn i wish i would have picked something else.
    It's always something else. I have yet to figure out what platform can put down huge horsepowers, stand sustained track beatings, win roll races, and daily without a bump or noise. Oh, and by the way not cost $400k.

I think black e could have built the whole of rural Africa with the amount of work he has put into his car.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listen, I’m just stimulating the economy over here! That may be true though after having 5 of these things

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking good man, time to get some hagertys insurance

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is my Therapy thread. A good refresher when Iím thinking about spending cash on cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MNLightning View Post
    This is my Therapy thread. A good refresher when I’m thinking about spending cash on cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The guide for what not to do!

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One big resolution that came out of replacing the cylinder head, no more P0016/P0017 codes. The cause was the Kelford 214-B camshafts. Every other part on my new cylinder head is the exact same but we replaced the Kelford 214-B cams with AMS TMP cams.

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One big resolution that came out of replacing the cylinder head, no more P0016/P0017 codes. The cause was the Kelford 214-B camshafts. Every other part on my new cylinder head is the exact same but we replaced the Kelford 214-B cams with AMS TMP cams.
    And no more oil pouring down each valve guide... Some people just shouldn't touch engines.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    And no more oil pouring down each valve guide... Some people just shouldn't touch engines.

Like burning coolant?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UT, can you elaborate? New guides? Seals?
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt has a whole new cylinder head now. We weren't about to take any chances.

His previous cylinder head was dumping a massive amount of oil into the inlet ports through the valve guides. Almost so much that it may not have valve stem seals installed... We haven't torn it down yet.

Needless to say, there were a ton of major and minor mistakes we found on his car. It's very good we basically tore it down to a short block and transmission and put it back together to spec.

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My previous head was also built by the same person who built DKEvoX engine and now he is having issues, like burning coolant.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My previous head was also built by the same person who built DKEvoX engine and now he is having issues, like burning coolant.
    Wow. Ok. Mind telling us who we should stay away from?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, please tell.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A local MO guy.
    Last edited by Madmartigan; 06-18-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aka Wizard Works in KC.
    WTF 2.0 in Progress

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [edited post, to be less drama and more fair]

I've had nothing but good experience with Broderick and do not agree in any way that my situation is evidence to not work with Broderick. Yes, my engine is having some issues. However, so is everyone else's engine on this forum. I think it's simply flawed logic to exclude a shop because of reported issues to which the cause is still undetermined.

What I can say about Broderick is that he stands by his shit. He spent 4 hours on video chat with me yesterday walking through fixing mine (I'll know in a few hours if it is fixed and will updated everyone). But if it isn't and my engine is broken, I guarantee he'll drive all the way down here, pick up my car, tow it back to his shop, and fix it all for free. I'd insist on paying for parts, but he wouldn't charge me a dime for labor. What more do you want? I'll choose the shop who stands by their shit everyday of the week over anything else. Just look at Black E's experience with AMS if you think you can get a guaranteed successful engine from anywhere.

I personally haven't had a better experience with any other evo shop. I would happily go back to Broderick. If anyone is in the area i would 100% recommend going to him. Except you can't cause he's only doing select jobs now due to all the drama like this.

The only complaint you can make against BJ that holds any ground is that he sucks at sticking to his timetables. A situation he gets in because he overpromises and undercharges for the work he does. This was the core issue Matt had with him, which is understandable.
    Last edited by DKevoX; 06-18-2018 at 03:27 PM.

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt has a whole new cylinder head now. We weren't about to take any chances.

His previous cylinder head was dumping a massive amount of oil into the inlet ports through the valve guides. Almost so much that it may not have valve stem seals installed... We haven't torn it down yet.

Needless to say, there were a ton of major and minor mistakes we found on his car. It's very good we basically tore it down to a short block and transmission and put it back together to spec.

Valve stem seals were indeed installed so must be something wrong with them or with the valve to valve guide clearance. Matt still has to decide if he's going to recondition and sell the head.

I've just never seen a car burn so much oil without having a blown turbo. Just had to mention it but I'll leave the rest of what we found to myself as it could have been anybody who previously touched the car.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a used AMS engine. Kozmic has done work. WizardWorks has done work. I have pulled off parts for powdercoat and reinstalled. Bodyshop work. Audio work.

There was fire damage, tight clearances, and a half dozen or more people that have been involved in this car. There have been some minor mistakes, and there could have been valve stem seals that tore or were damaged by the fire.

I just wanted things fixed and luckily replacing the head managed to stop oil leakage and fixed the P0016 & P0017 codes that pre-existed. I think they are directly tied to the usage of Kelford 214-B camshafts.

Hell, I know I made a huge mistake one night at like 3am and put the injectors in upside down. That caused fuel to flood the engine. Mistakes happen, and some aren't anyone's fault at times too.

We drive Evo's. Shit happens.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also of note, bolts on powder coated parts require retourquing. Several of my bolts started to loosen a bit on powder coated parts. They were tight initially but loosened over time.