User Tag List

Thread: Best Evo X Shops / Tuners

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Evo X Shops / Tuners

Title says it all, post a review of any shop / tuner that you've worked with (e-tuners included) I'll keep the main post updated with the shop names and post links to reviews. Multiple reviews for the same shop is great.

Format for review:
    Shop Name / Tuner Name
    Rating: # out of 10
    Review: This speaks for itself, the good, the bad, the ugly.

-------------------------------------------

Shops:
    Moore Automotive / Chris Hoover
    Review 1

Boostin Performance / Devin Schultz
    Review 1
    Review 2

5150 Racing
    Review 1

Kozmic Motorsports
    Review 1
    Last edited by herevl_x; 02-05-2016 at 05:34 AM.
    2015-08-14 11.49.59 1
    Instagram: @herevl_x
    Sponsored By DressUp Bolts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moore Automotive / Chris Hoover
    Fairfax, VA
    https://www.facebook.com/Moore-Autom...4858954205151/
    Rating: 10 out of 10
    Review:
    Chris and Moore came recommended by several friends and after taking my car there I can see why. I had the Moore team service the SST and install my intake, ebcs and Chris dyno tuned my car. They were amazingly friendly, and quick. After the SST was serviced they did a few baseline pulls to get proper numbers before installing parts. I bought their 3.5" intake and have been very impressed with the quality and performance. When it came time to tune Chris spent hours with my car, did 11 total pulls on the dyno to fine tune everything. After that he took it out on the road to make sure that everything was good in a real life setting.

I was there from 8:30 in the morning and left at 1:30pm, I never felt like I was an inconvenience or in the way. Chris has always been great at answering any questions I have and is a super guy. Even out of the shop he will come say hi and chat with me and TJ. I will only be taking my car to Chris and Moore for all future tuning and any work that I can't or am not comfortable doing on my own.
    2015-08-14 11.49.59 1
    Instagram: @herevl_x
    Sponsored By DressUp Bolts

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boostin Performance / Devin Schultz
    Hoffman Estates, IL
    http://www.boostinperformance.com/ 847-781-1600 https://www.facebook.com/Boostin-Per...5529075189001/
    7 out of 10

Shop:

After narrowing it down to a couple of shops within reasonable driving distance from St. Louis, I decided to go with Boostin Performance for all of my modifications and tuning needs. The shop is very clean with a comfortable lounging area with a TV, Xbox, refreshments, etc. The garage has multiple lifts, an AWD Mustang Dyno, all the tools you could imagine, engines and transmissions being built, you name it. Rating 9/10

Tuning:

From the beginning I started going to Boostin, roughly once a year for my maintenance and performance upgrades, I've felt very confident in the tune. I ran the car for over a year without either wideband or boost gauge after my first round of mods (Amateur me I know) the car never threw any codes and pulled very strong. With basic bolt ons, the car made 320/320 on 93 pump gas on their mustang dyno.

Fast forward a year, I had the gtx3576 installed along with the MAP o2 Dump as well as a dual map tune on both 93 and e85. Before ordering the turbo, I called them explaining my goals and explained I was thinking about going with the gtx3576. At the time, I liked the idea of a stock frame turbo for it's simplicity and overall price as it was cheaper than going with a t3/t4 kit. Both Devin and his shop assistant/secretary Cisco said they had never heard of the newish gtx3576 (um, duh? It's all over the forums!) and suggest I go with a 5858. I understand they're a precision vendor as well as sponsored by them but to not even heard of the new gtx3576 that is all over the internet and at the time, very popular in the Evo X community. This is where I began to realize they're familiarity/knowledge with the Evo X just isn't good enough for me and they were beginning to shift their focus into GT-R land. So, I decided to have them install the gtx3576 along with an aem 320 e85 pump and fic 1100's they recommended and tune it even though this was the first gtx3576 car they have come in contact with.

Also, I have only spoken to Devin in person one time ever regarding the tune, parts to buy, etc. This is a no no for me. I get it that you might be busy and are tuning 5-10 cars per day at times, but when I'm a returning customer and have spent thousands of dollars with them, whether it be performance upgrades or maintenance, the least I expect you to do is at least introduce yourself and maybe go over how the tune ended up at least? Instead of handing over a fucking piece of paper to have the secretary hand to me telling me my idle, rev limiter, and a graph and send me on my way! All this tells me is that you're too busy and could give zero fucks who I am, unless building a motor through you and qualifying as one of your "premier" customers.

The car made great power and I was very happy at the time... Rating: 8/10

Customer Service:

Now this is something very important to me. Sure, most reputable Evo shops can turn a bolt and do basically everything you need done but when it comes to customer service, in my opinion, is what makes or breaks it.

When I first started going to Boostin, the customer service was awesome. Keep in mind, this is when Devin's wife Kristin was handling all the of the appointments, answering calls, etc. Ever since they've expanded and moved to their new shop, Kristin has been doing some of the secretary stuff but more so taking care of paper work, finances etc. and Cisco has since replaced Kristin for the most part with setting up appointments, answering specific questions and so forth.

There has been multiple occasions where I have called Boostin and never received a phone call in return after leaving multiple messages. When I took the car to get the 3576 put on, there was an estimate in place which I expected them to follow very closely. I already had the Synapse DV in hand and had tested it out at home realizing the car was over boosting badly. Called Boostin and explained this and specifically told them that if they aren't going to charge me an arm and leg to put it back on then I'll take it off and drive up there on the stock DV so that's what I did.

2 days later after touring Chicago for the third year in a row and doing everything possible, I got a call that the car was done and was ready to be picked up. Hopped in the rental (Chevy Sonic) and headed to Boostin to pick the car up. Upon arrival, the car was parked up front all ready to go. Proceeded inside to see the damage and what do you know? The bill is a solid $300 over the estimate that I had before heading up there. If it was something that needed fixed or replaced I would understand but it wasn't. They decided to charge me $50 to install the DV, this is a 5 minute install! They also decided to charge me a $200 gas disposing fee that I was never told about in the beginning. They knew all along I was getting a dual map tune and would need to empty the tank to put the e85 in after the 93 tune which is perfectly fine, but why not let me know this ahead of time?! I know there are a couple of other things I'm forgetting from the invoice, so I'll have to look when I get home.

The car was finished around 2pm on Wednesday and I needed to be at work Thursday morning. Me and my girlfriend had already checked out of the hotel so we were going to grab some Portillos and head back to STL. After picking up the car and returning the rental, on my way to Portillos I could smell coolant. Upon parking, there was a substantial amount of coolant on the ground and saw that the coolant hose at the thermostat was leaking. This was not the case before I took it to Boostin and had the turbo changed out. Called up Cisco at Boostin, and he proceeds to tell me they didn't touch anything coolant related and they can try and get me in tomorrow (Thursday) to check it out! Now, this is roughly 20 minutes after leaving their shop. You know the car had to be done today so I could head back to STL for work the next day and you're going to tell me to bring it in tomorrow? Are you fucking serious? I proceed to tell him that absolutely will not work so he has me bring the car right back to the shop for them to check it, girlfriend is hangry and I'm stressing the fuck out. Proceed to tell me they can't fix it as it might need a new hose, not enough time, blah blah blah. I say fuck it and head back to St. Louis with a coolant leak that should have been noticed before handing the keys over to me!

Rating: 5/10

To sum it up, Boostin Performance has a lost a bunch of respect from me and I feel as if they're just there to make money to support their racing business rather than putting their customers first. If you aren't getting a new motor/tranny/spending thousands with them, don't expect to be on top of their priority list as you're just another customer that walks through their door each and every day.

Continued 11/11/2015:

Wasatch Turbo Factory / TJ Van Cott
    Salt Lake City, UT
    http://www.wtftuned.com/ https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned/?fref=ts
    10 out of 10

I started working with TJ after realizing how much time and money I was wasting with Boostin Performance. I can't drive 5 hours to get the car re-tuned for a simple modification or maintenance need, not to mention get ahold of them or have the availability to set up an appointment. So, after coming to the conclusion that my AEM fuel pump was going out, I sent TJ an email to pick up some parts and one thing led to another and here I am today.

Being someone who isn't very tech savvy or a mechanic by any means, TJ has been able to answer all of my (sometimes stupid) questions, in a quick and concise manner. He has constantly been available and willing to help with the car whatever it may be.

I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone, but his tuning is hands down the best there is in my opinion. His attention to detail, precise MAF calibration, or injector calibration is the best you can get it and it shows in the drivability of my car (when it ran). He responds very quickly with revisions to my tune and doesn't charge a fortune for a retune when it comes to a simple modification.

His customer service, tuning capabilities, knowledge, experience, and his honesty, are all reasons as to why I have chosen TJ for everything I do.

If you're looking for one of the best tuners around, getting your motor built, or even just ordering parts, TJ is your guy!

Rating: 10/10
    Last edited by DereksX; 11-11-2015 at 09:23 AM.
    WTF Built 2.0l

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little late on this but review of 5150 Racing: https://www.boostedforums.net/showth...ew-5150-Racing

2012 EvoX MR - 11.289 @ 123.24mph
    2015 Scion FR-S - D-Street in SCCA Solo II
    Info/Pics: Instagram / Build Thread
    Sponsors: DSGPerformance
    Founder: Evil Apex Racing

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kozmic Motorsports in Houston - Great work really know the MR. No complaints working with them on my EVO X or my 05 WRX.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boostin Performance

Boostin took my '12 GSR in for a tune this past summer, after I installed full bolt-ons, and the entire process was nearly flawless.
    Aside from their standard tuning fee, I was charged an additional $45 to fix a couple boost leaks and crush the factory BOV. Devin brought these items to my attention prior to going ahead with service. No biggie.
    I opted to stick around, since I had no ride, and every member of the staff I came in contact with was friendly and made me feel comfortable.
    After a few hours passed the tuning was finished and Devin invited me back to view a full pulls on their MD. Specifics regarding the tune were discussed and future plans were brought up. I was curious which route I should go when swapping turbos, and was told their most popular swaps aside from an ETS kit were MHI-18k's or GTX3576's. I never once felt pressured into spending more money.
    The car was done, we squared up on the bill, and I was off to speed home with a big smile on my face.
    The ONLY issue that popped up was one of the mechanics forgot to throw my under tray back on. Cisco called me about five minutes after I drove off to have me swing back around. It was back on a few minutes later and that was the end of that.

Devin made 316whp/335wtq w/93oct on their MD. Full Bolt-Ons.

Rating - 9/10