User Tag List

Thread: Vlands headlights

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vlands headlights

I tried asking for some info on the vland headlights(audi style there often called) on fbook groups but after getting some of the most confusing and conflicting replies I wanna stab my eyes out now.

So back to the classic forum for my advice. Anyways besides from that mini rant anyone using these headlights?

I really like the styling but am curious about the light output from these things in comparison to the non hid GSR headlights. I do night time highway driving too so that is important to me.

I heard they come with hid? Then other people say its just a regular halogen? Then others say light output from the includes bulbs is poor but swapping them to LED bulbs and light output is great.

Also heard adjustment on them is not so great???
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @work.hustle.kill time for your wisdom!

Doom, we have a thread on this for you.
    https://boostedforums.net/showthread...help-me-choose

I too am thinking on these, not spending monies till my Transmission leak from TRE/WTF gets sorted out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am to on the fence about these lights as I also can’t get a solid answer.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard to find any info on these things despite it seems they are quite popular with evo x owners.

Ill probably head over to evoxforums sadly for my answers. This place is pretty dead for evo related traffic these days sadly.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hit up @work.hustle.kill on instagram or FB. He stocks them and is a wealth of knowledge for those headlights.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOL ME View Post
    Hit up @work.hustle.kill on instagram or FB. He stocks them and is a wealth of knowledge for those headlights.
    Ok cool thanks for the heads up!
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to go the OEM SSS HID lights, I have a set I have been contemplating selling.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @doom26464 I would go with AKRetrofits, he makes them legit. Uses the real LED strip from Audi and they look cleaner, IMO. Vland is great too but AK is the way to go.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just order a set of the vland headlights.

Now I know they include some cheap h7 halogen bulb and are using a halogen projector housing for the high/low beam.

Would it be better to upgrade to LED bulbs? Or possibly HID kit(though not sure this is a good idea in that projector housing)?

EDIT: wait how the fuck does a single filament h7 bulb do both high and low?? something not making sense here....
    Last edited by doom26464; 03-18-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *crickets chirpping*

Who paying to keep the lights on in this place lol?
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post

Now I know they include some cheap h7 halogen bulb and are using a halogen projector housing for the high/low beam.

Would it be better to upgrade to LED bulbs? Or possibly HID kit(though not sure this is a good idea in that projector housing)?

EDIT: wait how the fuck does a single filament h7 bulb do both high and low?? something not making sense here....
    They work the same as a HID projector

Usually a single bulb projector housing, with no other forward facing bulbs, will either use a beam cutoff "shroud" to block some of the light in low-beam, or they will have a motor that moves the bulb in and out of the housing. Move the shroud, you get the full light pattern. Move the bulb, the focal point changes much like a mag-lite would. Same principle applies as it reduces the light down the road in low mode, but different ways to do it.

I could not tell you what kind of projector they use on that setup.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by turismolover22 View Post

They work the same as a HID projector

Usually a single bulb projector housing, with no other forward facing bulbs, will either use a beam cutoff "shroud" to block some of the light in low-beam, or they will have a motor that moves the bulb in and out of the housing. Move the shroud, you get the full light pattern. Move the bulb, the focal point changes much like a mag-lite would. Same principle applies as it reduces the light down the road in low mode, but different ways to do it.

I could not tell you what kind of projector they use on that setup.
    Ah makes sense thank you for taking the time to explain that. After playing around with a few vechiles with projectors at work I now see how they work(using a shutter for low/high)

In all my years of modding and playing with car, automotive lighting is one I never really dabbled in so this is an exciting new learning path for me to tread down. I like learnig so stayed up way to late last night reading up on LED bulbs, HID, LUX, projector housings, beam throw, beam patterns, and all things headlights. Neat stuff
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have em in finally. Just put some 5 dollar H7 halogen bulbs in em for the time being.

I want to put HID kit in but there soo many kits out there and i have heard that both a H7 kit works but so does a D2h kit? Is d2h bulbs better? I have heard good about mirimoto any other brands to look at??

Also aiming these things is a massive cunt. The left right adjustment screw is nearly impossible to get too.

Pics though my camera does not capture the light very good.20190328_192842.jpg
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you need to video it bud as the photo really doesn’t do it justice. If I was gonna change my lights to these, the standard light will have to be better than the Mercedes & BMW’s head lights.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Putting halogens in em does not do that well, Its livable but a downgrade over the stock reflector housing with halogens.

The vlands instruction does say it is bi-xenon projectors in em. So with that said I order a 35w Morimoto elite HID kit with h7b bulbs in 5500k. Ill report back once I get the HID kit in.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bud.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now I can get started on wiring this in!

12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a NES mini Doom??? Shit those lights look like a lot of work!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Realbadman View Post
    Is that a NES mini Doom??? Shit those lights look like a lot of work!
    Its an orginal NES. Its mine from when I was a kid, still works good.

The kit is actually really nice and everything is pretty much plug and play. Nice wiring and really good weather sealed connectors. Hardest part will probably finding some where to neatly mount the ballast and Relays.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow after all that time the NES is still going on strong �� lol, you can’t beat the old skool games. Keep me updated on the lights and a step by step plan of how you found your results plz.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

little bit of a delay but mostly everything is in, Seems when DRL kick on only one side lights up, yet when I put light switch to full they both go fully on no problem. Guessing the DRL in the evo run at 6v(probaly a PMW signal im guessing) so its causing issues with the relays in the kit.

Probably should have grabbed the optional capacitors for the kit, Other option is to disable DRL but looking at some really old evox forums how-to it looks ghetto as fuck to do on a non SSS equipped car. Ill just email retro fit source and get the capacitors.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any idea why non SSS cars still activate DRL? My car doesn't have a DRL active at any time, is it just a low level voltage that only gets picked up by HID lights?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have any idea why non SSS cars still activate DRL? My car doesn't have a DRL active at any time, is it just a low level voltage that only gets picked up by HID lights?
    Your question makes no sense.

Cars Have DRL as it is required by law for automanfuctures to have them present on vechiles. Most manufactures will run the DRL at lower voltage via PWM to increase bulb life.

But update, got my capacitor in and wired and HID now work flawless, no flickering or any issues. These headlights really perform best with an HID kit, I can see so much better at night its un real! Still need to aim them down a bit.

Also after listening to stupid useless fbook post, I was told to try h7b bulbs when in fact they should be H7A bulbs! I was still able to make the h7b work just had to flip em around but they dont sit in there slot as nice if they where H7B bulbs. If you have the ground electrode facing down you will cast a shadow in your beam pattern.

All in all the miromoto kit was really nice to work with, and plug and play. Everything is extremely well weather sealed up. Definently reccomend kit to work with these headlights, just make sure to get H7B bulbs and the anti flicker capacitor.
    Last edited by doom26464; 04-26-2019 at 09:36 AM.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your question makes no sense.

Cars Have DRL as it is required by law for automanfuctures to have them present on vechiles. Most manufactures will run the DRL at lower voltage via PWM to increase bulb life.

But update, got my capacitor in and wired and HID now work flawless, no flickering or any issues. These headlights really perform best with an HID kit, I can see so much better at night its un real! Still need to aim them down a bit.

Also after listening to stupid useless fbook post, I was told to try h7b bulbs when in fact they should be H7A bulbs! I was still able to make the h7b work just had to flip em around but they dont sit in there slot as nice if they where H7B bulbs. If you have the ground electrode facing down you will cast a shadow in your beam pattern.

All in all the miromoto kit was really nice to work with, and plug and play. Everything is extremely well weather sealed up. Definently reccomend kit to work with these headlights, just make sure to get H7B bulbs and the anti flicker capacitor.
    My 2015 GSR does NOT have DRL, hasn't had it since I bought it. Has stock halogen lights. This is why I asked why the SSS bulbs get a flicker when they are installed in a non-sss car. Unless something has been pulled off my car, unbeknownst to me, there is no low level or PWM signal being sent to my headlights at any time.