User Tag List

Thread: Best clutch for DD and occasional 1/4 mile?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best clutch for DD and occasional 1/4 mile?

Helo all,

I am new to the forums and have enjoyed reading all the info here as well as some of the builds.

I am currently roughly 300/300 mustang dyno and the stock clutch would just slip when I tried to launch it (My launching method is I rev to roughly 4-4500 and slip the clutch until the nose comes up the release the clutch and floor it.) Aside from launching it seems to be fine once moving in all gears.

I am just starting to go bigger turbo and want to hear some opinions on clutch. I will be getting the 8374 Kit from Driven fab and I don't think the stock clutch will last long. I am stock block so I will have to keep torque under 400.

I was initially going to go with the ACT ME3-HDSS ( I wanted to keep costs down) but was told it won't handle launches that great so I should get a twin.

If that is the case what would you suggest I get for a mostly street driven car that I want to take to run the 1/4 mile every so often, maybe 2 times per year I am sure a few stop light raves every so often.

I was looking at the following.

EXEDY HD TWIN PLATE CLUTCH MM062HD
    https://www.maperformance.com/collec...-08-15-mm062hd

HYPER MULTI SERIES SDF MM062SDF
    https://www.maperformance.com/collec...evo-x-mm062sdf

(is there much of a difference between the two as they are the same price).

QUARTERMASTER 8-LEG STREET CLUTCH 2897P2635
    https://www.maperformance.com/produc...vo-x-2897p2635

S GIKEN TR2C SERIES CLUTCH MT071-BF5 Comes with replacement thrown out bearing
    https://www.maperformance.com/collec...on-x-mt071-bf5

They also have a push conversion? Is this any good?

Does the twin disc mean a lighter pressure plate can be used therefore pedal pressure will be less? Or am I wrong in this thinking?

Is changing the Clutch master cylinder necessary for all type of clutches?

Does anyone have any of these clutches that they have driven on the streets? If so could you share your experiences with them for both street ability, launching and noise? If you can recommend anything not listed
    Thank you,
    Last edited by DjEclipse; 02-10-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always a twin if you can afford it. I've heard good tings about Giken and exedy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using my exedy twin for years now. I donít track my Evo, streets only and I love it!!! Also, yes upgrading your Clutch master cylinder is necessary no matter what brand of Clutch you go with.
    Last edited by Evobigz; 02-10-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    FP BB Red turbo : Darton Sleeved 2.0 : Arias custom Pistons : Kelford - B Cams and springs : Supertech- valves : ID 1300 fuel injectors : Exedy - Twin Clutch
    BakaUnchi Tuned : Mustang Dyno 91 4010whp, e85 501whp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thankyou for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Evobigz View Post
    I have been using my exedy twin for years now. I don’t track my Evo, streets only and I love it!!! Also, yes upgrading your Clutch master cylinder is necessary no matter what brand of Clutch you go with.

Which Exedy twin do you have and how is it for the street? How is the clutch pedal? How is starting from a stop? have you launched it much?

My wife will be driving it every so often s I ton't want it to be too hard.

What clutch master cylinder upgrade did you go with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelbring View Post
    Always a twin if you can afford it. I've heard good tings about Giken and exedy

Well that's the thing, I really wasn't expecting to have to get a twin and the turbo kit and fuel upgrades were pretty costly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That drivenfab turbo kit is probably gonna take 6 months to come in too lol

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I've driven all three in one application or another.

The quartermaster is great for a track only car. Daily driving, or having to actuate the clutch on a hill, sucks. Plain and simple. Both the os giken and the exedy were fine for daily driving. The os giken held up better, as in getting more mileage before rebuild.

Realistically, whatever clutch you can get cheaper between the giken and the exedy is where I'd go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
    Helo all,

I am new to the forums and have enjoyed reading all the info here as well as some of the builds.

I am currently roughly 300/300 mustang dyno and the stock clutch would just slip when I tried to launch it (My launching method is I rev to roughly 4-4500 and slip the clutch until the nose comes up the release the clutch and floor it.) Aside from launching it seems to be fine once moving in all gears.

I am just starting to go bigger turbo and want to hear some opinions on clutch. I will be getting the 8374 Kit from Driven fab and I don't think the stock clutch will last long. I am stock block so I will have to keep torque under 400.

I was initially going to go with the ACT ME3-HDSS ( I wanted to keep costs down) but was told it won't handle launches that great so I should get a twin.
    I've beat the shit out of my ACT ME3-HDSS and it hasn't skipped a beat. I've probably launched it about 15 times since I put it in. ACT rates it at 500 some odd BTQ
    If you were to stay single disc, you could go with the ACT 6 puck disc instead of the full face organic that comes in the HDSS. I think that particular kit is the HDSD.

Currently sitting at 330/330 on a stock turbo. With you switching over to the EFR, your TQ will shift over to the right, so it should be even more gentle on the clutch, given the slower power delivery.

If that is the case what would you suggest I get for a mostly street driven car that I want to take to run the 1/4 mile every so often, maybe 2 times per year I am sure a few stop light raves every so often.

I was looking at the following.

EXEDY HD TWIN PLATE CLUTCH MM062HD
    https://www.maperformance.com/collec...-08-15-mm062hd

HYPER MULTI SERIES SDF MM062SDF
    https://www.maperformance.com/collec...evo-x-mm062sdf

(is there much of a difference between the two as they are the same price).
    One of these two were going to be my choice for when I throw in the 2.2 stroker I have on the stands. Waiting on a turbo.

QUARTERMASTER 8-LEG STREET CLUTCH 2897P2635
    https://www.maperformance.com/produc...vo-x-2897p2635

S GIKEN TR2C SERIES CLUTCH MT071-BF5 Comes with replacement thrown out bearing
    https://www.maperformance.com/collec...on-x-mt071-bf5

They also have a push conversion? Is this any good?
    I believe the exedy only comes in a pull style pressure plate, though I may be mistaken. I'm almost positive the quartemaster is a push only, and requires an internal slave cylinder. As far as the OS GIKEN, I have only seen a push conversion for that as well, and I've always seen it with a fork and not an internal slave.

Does the twin disc mean a lighter pressure plate can be used therefore pedal pressure will be less? Or am I wrong in this thinking?
    Generally, yes, they could have the same or lighter pressure than stock. Generally they are at least equal, if not a little bit heavier than what you would consider a "stage 2" clutch

Is changing the Clutch master cylinder necessary for all type of clutches?

Does anyone have any of these clutches that they have driven on the streets? If so could you share your experiences with them for both street ability, launching and noise? If you can recommend anything not listed
    Thank you,
    The Evo IX CMC upgrade is one that everyone will recommend. I am still on the stock CMC, though it is the 14/15 revised version. I have the upgrade in a box, also ready to go on at the first sign of issues. So far the ACT has not given me a problem with it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW I decided against a twin and went with the setup below. Hasn't been in my car very long, but my buddy has the same in his evo8 for probably 20k miles @ ~420 Dynojet -can't remember the tq. Both have seen nothing but abuse. Pedal feels close to stock, but doesn't slip at all dropping it with launch control pushing 540hp/380tq dynojet. No chatter with the aluminum flywheel, but how light it is takes some getting use to.

Clutch Masters FX400 - 6-Puck / HR Pressure Plate
    Clutch Masters Aluminum Flywheel
    MAP Clutch Master Cylinder Upgrade (New OEM Evo9)
    STM Clutch Fork Stop

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you say that? I was told 4-6 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staywide8 View Post
    So, I've driven all three in one application or another.

The quartermaster is great for a track only car. Daily driving, or having to actuate the clutch on a hill, sucks. Plain and simple. Both the os giken and the exedy were fine for daily driving. The os giken held up better, as in getting more mileage before rebuild.

Realistically, whatever clutch you can get cheaper between the giken and the exedy is where I'd go.
    Thanks for the feedback. Is the os giken a simple install? How much longer did it last? I was told since I still have a stock bottom end I can go with the Exedy organic disc and it will last longer.

Is everyone using the clutch master cylinder stop when using these kits?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalAF View Post
    FWIW I decided against a twin and went with the setup below. Hasn't been in my car very long, but my buddy has the same in his evo8 for probably 20k miles @ ~420 Dynojet -can't remember the tq. Both have seen nothing but abuse. Pedal feels close to stock, but doesn't slip at all dropping it with launch control pushing 540hp/380tq dynojet. No chatter with the aluminum flywheel, but how light it is takes some getting use to.

STM Clutch Fork Stop
    Thanks for the feedback. I am sure the 6 puck holds great but I don't think I would like a 6 puck for the street, isn't it like an on/ off switch, stop and go traffic must suck?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STM Clutch Fork Stop
    Thanks for the feedback. I am sure the 6 puck holds great but I don't think I would like a 6 puck for the street, isn't it like an on/ off switch, stop and go traffic must suck?
    I have a ACT 6 puck and its ok. It doesn't slip as easily as my old comp stage 3 did but the peddle felt better and it didn't chatter nearly as much. I even reused the same comp lightweight flywheel. I like it more than the comp stage 3 for daily use.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STM Clutch Fork Stop
    Not at all. Feels like oem really. It's a bitch in the evo8, but the 10's have a helper spring that helps a ton.
    If you are close to Columbus/Cincinnati OH, I'd let you test it out.
    Last edited by MetalAF; 02-12-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their timelines tend to slide. Like months and months. I have their 9174 kit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep soooo true. I ordered two weeks Ago a simple cam shift sensor heat shelf and I’m still waiting for it. Totally regret it now and wish I just went bought WTF tuned cam shift sensor heat!
    FP BB Red turbo : Darton Sleeved 2.0 : Arias custom Pistons : Kelford - B Cams and springs : Supertech- valves : ID 1300 fuel injectors : Exedy - Twin Clutch
    BakaUnchi Tuned : Mustang Dyno 91 4010whp, e85 501whp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep soooo true. I ordered two weeks Ago a simple cam shift sensor heat shelf and I’m still waiting for it. Totally regret it now and wish I just went bought WTF tuned cam shift sensor heat!
    My buddies car has been at there shop since May for a simple motor build. I don't know how they are still in business.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My buddies car has been at there shop since May for a simple motor build. I don't know how they are still in business.
    Dropped mine off Oct 2017 and towed it to my buddies shop March 2018 because tune was never completed. MIVEC phaser was busted because valve lashing was bad. They were only doing cams and installing the turbo kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dropped mine off Oct 2017 and towed it to my buddies shop March 2018 because tune was never completed. MIVEC phaser was busted because valve lashing was bad. They were only doing cams and installing the turbo kit.
    I remember reading your story. I am only 2 hours from DF and I have considered going there for a few things and decided against it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading your story. I am only 2 hours from DF and I have considered going there for a few things and decided against it.
    I really hope not as I just ordered the 8374 kit. 4 - 6 weeks is ok for me as I'm it driving it on the winter. But I do want it for me to be able to install it and be on the road by mid April when it starts to get warm..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STM Clutch Fork Stop
    Not at all. Feels like oem really. It's a bitch in the evo8, but the 10's have a helper spring that helps a ton.
    Where is the helper spring located?

Thanks for the offer I would love to try out a few clutches snd then decide what I like. I'm in canada though. I do drive close to Columbus on my way to flordia I believe but I'm not heading down there again until next year.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STM Clutch Fork Stop

Thanks for the offer I would love to try out a few clutches snd then decide what I like. I'm in canada though. I do drive close to Columbus on my way to flordia I believe but I'm not heading down there again until next year.
    ClutchSpring.jpg

I'm not the one that did the install, but I believe its #17 in this diagram. Do you have a copy of the service manual yet? It's really helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

STM Clutch Fork Stop

ClutchSpring.jpg

I'm not the one that did the install, but I believe its #17 in this diagram. Do you have a copy of the service manual yet? It's really helpful.
    I do have a manual I downloaded, I will probably print out the parts I need for the clutch install once I start tearing it apart.