User Tag List

Thread: Time to finally leave the EVO world...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to finally leave the EVO world...

Finally after 11 months of trying to sell it my 2011 MR is gone.

It was my only stab at driving a DCT and honestly wish I had gotten the 5 spd.

Not because I miss a clutch car ( I have 2 others) but because my wallet took a huge hit over the last few years.

I had my 1st rebuild done by one of three well known SST rebuilders.

I milked it for everything I could but the Mechatronics unit was failing and it destroyed my Dodson investment in short time.

Then I overheated the motor during a time trial and decided why not throw $14K back into the car and make it sound again. So I had another rebuild done on the SST by another well known shop.

Nope the 2nd rebuilt SST lasted a few weeks before the clutch packs were toast. Again, had to have been the Mechatronics unit.

Finally I bought a 36K unit and that shored up the car so I could sell it.

I'm going back to RWD. A 2019 M2C. I've raced all 3 platforms over the last 30 years and RWD is by far the most enjoyable to use on the track.

Wish you all the best with your EVO's and hope they don't eat your wallet like mine did.

HAZMAT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    M2C looks amazing. The only X guy that was going to the track with me just parted his out for a ZL1 1LE, but the Camaro just isn't me. It's finally time for me to have some SST work done, since it looks like clutch fork failure, but seeing how many people put years of work and insane amounts of money into their Xs just to end in multiple rebuilds then finally selling it, I'm losing faith in the platform fast. How much torque was your SST running? Any thoughts on what was causing it to fail?

Mentioned
    227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The M2C is the other car I am interested in, just not sure if I can do a BMW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may be alone in this, but I was excited about the new BMW Supra...at least until I found out it's a traditional auto w a torque converter.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMXIIEVOX View Post
    I may be alone in this, but I was excited about the new BMW Supra...at least until I found out it's a traditional auto w a torque converter.
    I'm losing faith in the platform fast. How much torque was your SST running? Any thoughts on what was causing it to fail?[/QUOTE]

Rob the tuner at Kaizen always had my car setup so TQ was relatively a flat 350ft/lbs using a ATP3576. I beat the snot out of the OEM SST for 50+K and it finally was dropping gears and throwing to many codes.

The car never was reliable after I pulled the SST for the first time. Clearly the Mechatronics unit was the weak point in the rebuilds. It never was replaced (tried to save $2K)

I raced a 98M3/4 successfully for 8 years. other than a head gasket that car was rock solid at the track. Over 100 days and 200 autocrosses.

BMW's are somewhat over priced but are still one of the top track cars out there. They have been for 30 years now.

if you guys do HPDE's count how many P Cars and BMW's there are compared to the other makes. Forget Audi, LOL never seen more than 2-3 at a road course.

As for the Camaro and the various Mustangs your going to go thru a ton of consumables (tires, pads, rotors, bearings, etc) Their build quality sucks and that's being kind.

I have lots of respect for the Vettes more so the C6 and C7's. But even they still have overheating problems. But you will never see me driving a Chevy....

Back in 2010-2011 I had narrowed down my options to 2 cars. a BMW135, a Nissan 370Z, or the Evo.

I can tell you now that I made a huge mistake choosing the EVO. It heat soaked on the tighter circuits within 10 laps and I chased that problem with my wallet for years!

I know several people who drove the other two platforms hard and had very little to complain about.

My current ride is a 2017 MX-5 RF (2350 lbs with 160WHP) It has the best manual I have ever touched, handles better than almost any car I have ever instructed in, or driven and is also rock solid reliable.

So that's my SOLO 2 weapon and the M2C will be my track car. With the new S55 motor under the hood 500WHP is easy to obtain. To put power down I'm going to run 275/295 on the street and run a square 275/275 setup for track days.

The car has outstanding cooling with a Air to Water heat Exchanger huge radiator and Oil cooler.

My only problem with the car is its weight 3600lbs. So I'll swap in a 4 lb Lithium Battery and toss the rear seat. now I'm at 3475 roughly...

As for the Supra comment, don't judge the Auto yet. I've driven two current non DCT BMW's with the 8 speed auto. They shift just fine. In fact in Sport + they rock.

The Vette also has a traditional auto that also is wonderful. I'm not going to do another DCT!

My M2C is scheduled for a Feb build. 6 Speed, no roof....

Cheers,

HAZMAT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you, on literally everything. I change my mind every other week about switching platforms. The thing that keeps me holding on to the Evo X TT dream is that 'when it works'...it's amazing. I'm in a tough spot right now in HPDE3 getting squared away for TT2...SST and engine failure all in the same day at VIR. I either have to fix it to keep it, or part out and sell as a roller. There's no point in fixing it to sell it...I simply won't make any money as Xs aren't worth crap now. You made a great choice on the M2C...I just don't know how competitive it will be in the class it will end up in due to power. For NASA, the E46s in TT3 are beating everything in TT3, TT2, and most in TT1 and TTU. I have to assume they know what they're doing on the Supra, I've just never been in a traditional auto that could compete in TA/TT.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you, on literally everything. I change my mind every other week about switching platforms. The thing that keeps me holding on to the Evo X TT dream is that 'when it works'...it's amazing. I'm in a tough spot right now in HPDE3 getting squared away for TT2...SST and engine failure all in the same day at VIR. I either have to fix it to keep it, or part out and sell as a roller. There's no point in fixing it to sell it...I simply won't make any money as Xs aren't worth crap now. You made a great choice on the M2C...I just don't know how competitive it will be in the class it will end up in due to power. For NASA, the E46s in TT3 are beating everything in TT3, TT2, and most in TT1 and TTU. I have to assume they know what they're doing on the Supra, I've just never been in a traditional auto that could compete in TA/TT.
    This is exactly me, and I haven't even gotten to competing in TT yet.

I'm starting to see the Evo X as the turning point in sport compact cars - they mostly suck now. Focus RS couldn't be done without some noticeable cost cutting. Civic Type R could only be FWD for the price point. This is a long rant I could go on and on about. But there's been a huge shift towards making RWD platforms better instead of trying to improve on complex AWD that keep getting more and more expensive. If you're just looking to go fast, I wouldn't fault anyone for moving on from the Evo X platform. But for me, the Evo X just feels like the last in a line of performance cars that we will look back on in 10 years the same way we do on the JDM cars of the 90s. I'm probably going to keep it for that reason - just tone down my desire to compete and try to enjoy the car more (along with how the car community has changed away from actual performance driving to social media whoring, but that's a different rant)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For NASA, the E46s in TT3 are beating everything in TT3, TT2, and most in TT1 and TTU. I have to assume they know what they're doing on the Supra, I've just never been in a traditional auto that could compete in TA/TT.
    The car to have in TT1-3 is a Corvette. A Corvette dominated TT3 at nationals, weighed in around 2900 lbs with 335 tires and flat power band, almost unbeatable. I think the biggest problem with the Evo X is it is tough to fit large wheels/tires (I'm talking tires sizes that start with a 3) with out going to a widebody or some other trickery. At the end of the day the key for TT is getting a flat powerband and as big of a set a tires as you can fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those Vettes will always be up there...but the M3 is right there too. I look for the sub 2min times:

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/N...20classes).pdf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I hate to see another Evo guy go but I totally understand. My Evo I have a love-hate relationship which I believe I am not the only one feels about their Evo. There are days that I just want to get rid of my Evo but as soon as I sit inside for some reason it changes everything and I just can’t let it go. Of course there’s that other reason, I’m just too deep in my Evo that I can’t let it go. Hope to hear you back on this fourm soon with your new car!
    FP BB Red turbo
    Darton Sleeved 2.0
    Arias custom Pistons
    Kelford - B Cams and springs
    Supertech- valves
    ID 1300 fuel injectors
    AMS ? fuel rail
    walbro 450
    Exedy - Twin Clutch
    Jacks - bulletproof differential
    AEM - gauges
    BakaUnchi Tuned