User Tag List

Thread: Hobbs switch needed for Radium double pumper?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hobbs switch needed for Radium double pumper?

I've searched around and couldn't find a definitive answer. I was under the impression that a Hobbs switch wouldn't be needed because of the design of the radium unit replacing the restrictive fuel return setup. Which in turn wouldn't cause fuel pressure issues at idle. I only ask because the shop doing the install is recommending using a Hobbs switch.

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You definitely need to run the pumps staged in some way, fuel pumps flow the most at idle because they aren’t fighting boost pressure.
    A Hoobs switch is the easiest way to accomplish it, just make sure it’s a quality switch and that the electrical and vacuum connections are solid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So even with the hardware the double pumper includes, do you still need a seperate controller? I was looking at this:

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-...VO-X-P974.aspx

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you do

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run the Dual Pump Radium hanger with the kit that re purposes the original feed line into the return. You will still need a controller of some sort, low load/idle with be impossible to tune with both pumps running full blast. It will also heat your fuel, which is bad. A pressure switch to kick on the 2nd pump under higher load would be the simplest way to do it. I run EP controllers referencing 5v analog output from and AEM boost gauge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same setup with dual 450s, I run a 15psi hobbs switch for the second pump and the first through a relay direct to the battery.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash493 View Post
    I have the same setup with dual 450s, I run a 15psi hobbs switch for the second pump and the first through a relay direct to the battery.
    Any issues with that setup? Thats exactly what I am planning on running?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a common setup. You can get some rich spots when the second pump kicks in that I've been told are impossible to tune out, but its simpler than dealing with PWM controllers.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalAF View Post
    Its a common setup. You can get some rich spots when the second pump kicks in that I've been told are impossible to tune out, but its simpler than dealing with PWM controllers.
    sounds like tuner excuses to me lol
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issues with idle or anything having the thing run full blast at idle?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have any idle issues running both of my w450's at full blast, before I went to the Easy Performance controllers.
    I had the radium return kit, dual hanger, 8an feed line, fuel rail, FPD-XR, an Aeromotive FPR and ID1700's.

Running them @ full blast all the time heats up your fuel though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have any idle issues running both of my w450's at full blast, before I went to the Easy Performance controllers.
    I had the radium return kit, dual hanger, 8an feed line, fuel rail, FPD-XR, an Aeromotive FPR and ID1700's.

They wouldn't be running full blast at idle though right, only when the hobb switch comes on?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelbring View Post

They wouldn't be running full blast at idle though right, only when the hobb switch comes on?
    Actually DF had both w450's @ full power as soon as car was switched on. I've changed things since then, but that's how they were tuned originally. No idle problems.

But you are right, with a hobbs switch pump#2 only kicks in once a certain psi is reached.
    Last edited by MetalAF; 05-03-2019 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikelbring View Post

Actually DF had both w450's @ full power as soon as car was switched on. I've changed things since then, but that's how they were tuned originally. No idle problems.

But you are right, with a hobbs switch pump#2 only kicks in once a certain psi is reached.
    Not surprised with DF :/ My friend is dealing with issues on a car they finished for him right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 15psi switch right now and thinking of switching to an easy performance controller. What kind or range are you giving for you initial pump to come on to when its at full tilt. Maxing an fp black right now, peaking at 36psi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash493 View Post
    I have a 15psi switch right now and thinking of switching to an easy performance controller. What kind or range are you giving for you initial pump to come on to when its at full tilt. Maxing an fp black right now, peaking at 36psi.
    Unrelated but what are you making on that fp black? Is that OEM housing still?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes stock housing on a 2.2. Put down 550/460 on boostin's mustang dyno.