User Tag List

Thread: Review: Comp stage 2 clutch (Full face organic)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review: Comp stage 2 clutch (Full face organic)

Had my comp stage 2 ripped out of the car earlier. I guess ill make this a mini review.

Paid $400 for it several years ago to replace my fucking GOD-AWFUL carbonetic blade.

-Power level has been ~330wtq (room temp, 5000ft) for basically.. the entire car's life. For the last 31,000 miles, the comp 2 has been in. Power fluctuates based on our extreme weather changes (like, -20 in january and then 100 in july for example).

-What i don't do with my car: i never launch it, ever. I dont autox, or ta, or do anything completely absurd like balancing the clutch at 5000rpm to go up a hill with 5 people in the car. I only go into boost if im already going 30+mph to give you an idea. Lots of rev-matching, but i dont miss since ive been doing it everyday for the last 5 years.

-Leg Feel: I wont be saying much about petal 'effort' because thats dependent on whether or not your clutch line is bled properly, and whether or not you have bitch legs. No, it's not "heavy", its like.. basically a little bit heavier than stock, by maybe 5lbs in muscle effort. Its not something that should dictate your clutch choice, that's for sure. Unless youre a 150lb little kid who falls over when its windy, but then you should have bought an auto instead.

-Actual engagement: for the first 20,000 miles, it was smooth (mechanically speaking) in stop and go traffic. No physical jittering, clunking, or shaking at all. Felt as smooth as a damn BMW Z3. I did however notice that from day 1, this clutch was extremely easy to burn. If i ever went over 1500rpm on an incline, the clutch would start to melt and burn instantly, even if its only for a half a second. Driving bumper to bump stop and go in denver, this clutch was a fucking nightmare. Not because it was "heavy" (its not), but because it burned soooooo easily. For comparison my stock clutch - which still had a ton of life after 55,000 miles - took triple the amount of effort to intentionally burn. Remember, this is organic material, it burns out of telepathic resentment if you even merely think about it at the unconscious level. The good part is because its organic, if you do burn it pretty bad, simply driving ~100 miles with no boost will resurface itself evenly.

....then after 21,000 miles, it started to have this strange occasional violent shaking. Like the entire car would shake, as if i were trailing my evo up moab - THAT kind of violent shaking. Some people seem to not understand this at all, but imagine your windshield flexing. That is the kind of shaking this clutch induced on my transmission once i got around the 20,000 mile mark. It still held power like a champ though, never slipped under boost. Now, because i rarely have multiple thousands of dollars just laying around for me to burn, ive had to tough out the last 9,000 miles of this shaking. Still holds power like a champ, but then i started to feel violent vibration/feedback through my clutch petal too about 5 months ago. Had it ripped out yesterday and here's the pics:

Looks pretty good to me:

Then we looked at the TOB, which had a bent lip on one side...

And, a snapped-in-half lip on the other lol (big circle), along with a stress fracture (small circle)

Inside of the TOB is also shattered in multiple spots, here's the best pic i could snap

So basically the clutch and pressure plate was fine, the TOB is what failed randomly. Replaced it with a comp 3 (in anticipation for my nearly complete 2.2/7670 build), and its un-fucking-believable how much smoother this segmented disc is versus the old comp 2, or stock disc.

-Overall final opinion: The comp 2 is a great clutch for DD/DD/ and more DD and nothing else assuming you run all the bolt-ons or run e85 etc. It's allegedly rated to 450 flywheel torque, but we all know clutch mfgs are full of shit with their numbers so i wouldnt recommend this thing if you run an EF3 with E85 or something or bigger. For <370wtq, its dandy. Not really launch friendly because it burns easier than stock. Dont buy one if you live in SF. Only costs $400 if you call shops direct for one. I prefer the stock clutch over this though, mine still had double the amount of meat left after i took it out in 2012, and had almost double the amount of miles.

My pressure plate it burnt to all fuck and looks like it has a cheetah skin finish from the spotting. Its going in the trash can. That said, does anyone want whats left of my actual clutch disc? Pay $15 shipping and its yours.

Update on the Comp stg. 3 (puck): It is extremely violent and shaky once it warms up. It does NOT like stop and go traffic. Doesnt burn at all unless youre retarded - if you can manage to burn a comp 3, then you dont deserve to own a car.
    Last edited by pistolpete69916; 01-12-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't ever launch on a Comp Stage 2 or Stage 3 clutch... you *will* weld it.

Personally, I avoid Comp Clutches like herpes.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you observations with the Stg 3 on medium/big turbo cars (no launching of course)? Ive seen people with 700whp and it be fine, and then ive seen people with stock turbos who somehow manage to kill them in months.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had the stage 3 clutch for about 1 year now. Like you, I have never launched my car but I know my clutch will handle the power/tq.
    2006 Evo IX GSR
    2013 Evo X GSR E85 387WHP/409WTQ (RIP)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^
    Purge this Michaelson

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketdog View Post
    ^^^^^
    Purge this Michaelson
    You mean you guys didn't like that? Appreciate the reports!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^
    Purge this Michaelson
    wut?
    2006 Evo IX GSR
    2013 Evo X GSR E85 387WHP/409WTQ (RIP)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evostanman View Post
    ^^^^^
    Purge this Michaelson
    wut?
    There was a spam post the other day in this thread, got reported, and one of the mods deleted it. Which is probably why it makes no sense hahahahah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen many people having the same problem with stage 2. is that how bad that is?

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosty View Post
    I've seen many people having the same problem with stage 2. is that how bad that is?
    Yes, their quality is absolute garbage. And really not cheap enough to justify buying one over other brands. The slop around the sprung hub is enough to tell anybody who cares about engineering tolerances to stay far, far away.

Saw somebody cracked a whole segment off their multi-disc Competition Clutch the other day... lol

I've never had an issue with ACT. Ever. Just don't hang the transmission on the input shaft during installation (keep it properly supported or on a chain from above), but that goes for all clutch installs.

Also, I've never had an issue with Clutch Masters.

No matter what, on a pull-style clutch, get an ACT Monoloc TOB collar.

For multi-disc clutches, OS Giken wins hands down. Quarter Master and Exedy are great quality and do the job, but their forte is not ease of pedal travel, engagement, and drive quality like OS Giken.
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post

For multi-disc clutches, OS Giken wins hands down. Quarter Master and Exedy are great quality and do the job, but their forte is not ease of pedal travel, engagement, and drive quality like OS Giken.
    MT071-BF5 or MT071-BJ5?

The BF5 has higher torque holding (640 vs 570) but it's cheaper than the BJ5?

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post

MT071-BF5 or MT071-BJ5?

MT071-BF5 is the normal twin disc, MT071-BJ5 is the soft diaphragm (we always recommend this one for stock block applications).

The MT071-BJ5 comes with the movement alteration kit, MT071-BF5 requires it be purchased separately. That's the explanation for the price difference.

Pricing on either option is pretty solid if you go through a place like us... the killer is wait time from Japan.

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MT071-BF5 or MT071-BJ5?

MT071-BF5 is the normal twin disc, MT071-BJ5 is the soft diaphragm (we always recommend this one for stock block applications).

The MT071-BJ5 comes with the movement alteration kit, MT071-BF5 requires it be purchased separately. That's the explanation for the price difference.

Pricing on either option is pretty solid if you go through a place like us... the killer is wait time from Japan.

What's the usual turn around?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what exactly happens if you hang it accidentally on the input shaft?

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post

MT071-BF5 or MT071-BJ5?

What's the usual turn around?
    It varies so much. 3 weeks to 8 weeks.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOL ME View Post
    So what exactly happens if you hang it accidentally on the input shaft?
    It can potentially bend the clutch disc, leading to clutch hang and synchro wear.