User Tag List

Thread: Dusty / dirty ass engine bay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dusty / dirty ass engine bay

Can anybody please provide some golden nuggets of truth to the path of a spotless engine bay for a 90k daily driven X? Taking much apart to put some go fast parts in and holy shet. There's dirt, grime, and dust everywhere. Under the harness, every hose, and nook and cranny. Will pressure washing even fix this? What would i need to cover? Hoping to get some discussion started around this and maybe even a follow up guide + pictures.
    Last edited by CrackMyTCU; 10-23-2018 at 08:20 AM.
    2012 MR

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Say no more, fam!!

https://www.grainger.com/product/6WB...RoC3hwQAvD_BwE

Simple green aircraft cleaner is the best to make anything look shiney and clean. Regular simple green works just as well, but their aircraft version is designed to not damage electronics or rubberized coatings/plastics. I've used engine degreasers before and they mess up rubber/plastic bits, and they'll even ruin your alternator. I've gone through 2 alternators before using regular engine degreasers.

Get yourself a high quality refillable spray bottle from home depot here. Put in a mixture of simple green and water. Whatever the reccomended mixture is, is fine. You can always go slightly stronger for good measure. Put the bottle on 'stream'. Wet the engine bay down and start spraying everything with the bottle. The stream on these types of bottles is pretty powerful, so you'll get some good pressure out of it. If you have a brush, feel free to lightly brush the bay after you spray everything down. Don't need any elbow grease, just need to disturb the caked on dirt and stuff. If you can't reach with a brush, no worries, this stuff will still work great. Then spray down with a light power wash or your garden hose on its high pressure stream. The simple green does a great job at lifting the crap off the car and the light pressure will help disturb it further and wash it away.

The mixture passed some FAA certs or some shit to make sure its safe for all materials, so you can literally just spray this stuff indiscriminately and it won't ruin anything on an aircraft engine bay. Graingers are located in most cities, and they had the best price (shipped) i could find. I spent like 24 bucks on a gallon of the unconcentrated stuff. I've used it plenty of times, have about half a gallon left, so it'll go a long way. I'm curious if this works well for brake dust and such but i'm afraid to get it on brake pads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HispanicPanic View Post
    Say no more, fam!!

Simple green aircraft cleaner is the best to make anything look shiney and clean. Regular simple green works just as well, but their aircraft version is designed to not damage electronics or rubberized coatings/plastics. I've used engine degreasers before and they mess up rubber/plastic bits, and they'll even ruin your alternator. I've gone through 2 alternators before using regular engine degreasers.

Get yourself a high quality refillable spray bottle from home depot here. Put in a mixture of simple green and water. Whatever the reccomended mixture is, is fine. You can always go slightly stronger for good measure. Put the bottle on 'stream'. Wet the engine bay down and start spraying everything with the bottle. The stream on these types of bottles is pretty powerful, so you'll get some good pressure out of it. If you have a brush, feel free to lightly brush the bay after you spray everything down. Don't need any elbow grease, just need to disturb the caked on dirt and stuff. If you can't reach with a brush, no worries, this stuff will still work great. Then spray down with a light power wash or your garden hose on its high pressure stream. The simple green does a great job at lifting the crap off the car and the light pressure will help disturb it further and wash it away.

The mixture passed some FAA certs or some shit to make sure its safe for all materials, so you can literally just spray this stuff indiscriminately and it won't ruin anything on an aircraft engine bay. Graingers are located in most cities, and they had the best price (shipped) i could find. I spent like 24 bucks on a gallon of the unconcentrated stuff. I've used it plenty of times, have about half a gallon left, so it'll go a long way. I'm curious if this works well for brake dust and such but i'm afraid to get it on brake pads.
    Dude, thank you! A quick question though. Do you really soak the entire engine bay with water? I'm particularly worried about putting any water around the intake filter, ecu, valve cover, injector, alternator area. Do you soak all these areas? I'm sure you're modded and have a 3" air filter in their somewhere.. Also, do you unplug the battery?

I went ahead and purchased the below set of brushes to get into every crevice and was then going to vacuum the loose dirt. I might go ahead and try your method but still really curious if i could liberally water down the engine bay

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1FCCV3I0L9K40
    2012 MR

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackMyTCU View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HispanicPanic View Post
    Say no more, fam!!

Dude, thank you! A quick question though. Do you really soak the entire engine bay with water? I'm particularly worried about putting any water around the intake filter, ecu, valve cover, injector, alternator area. Do you soak all these areas? I'm sure you're modded and have a 3" air filter in their somewhere.. Also, do you unplug the battery?

I went ahead and purchased the below set of brushes to get into every crevice and was then going to vacuum the loose dirt. I might go ahead and try your method but still really curious if i could liberally water down the engine bay

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1FCCV3I0L9K40
    Hell yeah man, i spray everything. Alternator included. Just don't try and powerwash your intake filter as that'll make it holy (braise be to Jesus). But i hit everything with a direct power stream (from the hose, not a power washer) except the filter. It helps knock a bunch of the dirt off, then the simple green loosens up all the hard stuff. Then i use the shower setting on the nozzle to gently wash it all away. Shower setting on the intake filter is just fine, but of course i don't spray it directly, mostly just indirect sprays. You don't want to start the car with a 100% soaked filter. And spraying it with water won't do much to clean it anyways.

Even if you get a little water inside your PCV system, it'll drain into the oilpan and evaporate once your engine warms up. No harm done. But of course that's only an issue if you vent to atmostphere and you spray all inside crankcase vents. Which obviously isn't recommended.

It's been a while, but from what i remember, if the simple green dries up, then the dirt will cake back on. So if you're spending time with little brushes and stuff, you'll probably have to spray down and scrub a section at a time to prevent it from drying. It dries like water, so its not a big deal and you can respray and it'll loosen back up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just bag the intake filter, ecu and fuse box and go at it.