User Tag List

Thread: Audi TT RS

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Audi TT RS

Has anyone taken one of these a test drive or owned one? If so, what did you think?

---Not getting rid of the Evo.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently shopping for one for the wife. Just not sure if the RS is worth the premium that Audi asks. I will admit it though, we may end up getting the RS Roadster though.

Drives very nice, rides very nice, and no it is not a race car in the sense the Evo is.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, same boat. Wife wants a go-fast car and doesn't want to learn a standard trans. AWD is high on the list, and turbo is fun so kind of narrows down the options. Never owned a German car, so would like to scope them out.

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't need the additional power take a look at the TTS which is the same as the VW Golf R and the Audi S3. 2.0T EA888 turbo.

Same platform, same chassis, same awd system. WAYYYY cheaper price.

The 5cyl in the RS is pretty dope though but if you don't need all that performance then you can save a ton on the TTS model.

Also, if you are into this sort of the thing, a stage 1 ecu flash brings the TTS/S3/R up about 100hp/tq
    Last edited by razorlab; 07-26-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    If you don't need the additional power take a look at the TTS which is the same as the VW Golf R and the Audi S3. 2.0T EA888 turbo.

Same platform, same chassis, same awd system. WAYYYY cheaper price.

The 5cyl in the RS is pretty dope though but if you don't need all that performance then you can save a ton on the TTS model.

Also, if you are into this sort of the thing, a stage 1 ecu flash brings the TTS/S3/R up about 100hp/tq
    Damn, you're not joking. ~13k for (-1 sec) 0-60.

TTRS
    0-60: 3.6
    MaxTQ: 350

TTS
    0-60: 4.6
    MaxTQ: 280

REVO is the first hit I get for flash upgrades. Is there are better place to look for these kits?

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalAF View Post

REVO is the first hit I get for flash upgrades. Is there are better place to look for these kits?
    The OTS top tunes are:

APR
    https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u...en3_mqb_r.html

Unitronic
    https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tun...-MQB-2016-2017

Revo
    Cobb

Like we all know here in the Evo world, the custom tunes are the best way to go and Eurodyne has that market cornered basically. Some people also use Cobb but we all know how cobb is.

I used Eurodyne Maestro to custom tune my MK6 Golf R and I am going to use it again to custom tune my MK7 Golf Alltrack

We are spoiled here though, the vw self/custom tuning world has way less access to tables, costs $800+ and the first flash takes approx 30mins to do.
    Last edited by razorlab; 07-26-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I owe a 6MT 2015 S4 and just upgraded to unitronic stage 2+ with their smaller supercharger pulley. The car feels like an absolute animal now. I’ve owned it for 1.5yrs and have only yearly inspection and oil change. I can’t really speak to the reliability yet as it’s my first German car. This car really reminds me of the evo with the size and AWD/6MT. But with tons of luxury add ones. Mine has Sport Diff, black optics package, tecknics package, Audi drive select and adaptive headlights

I test drove the new RS3 and new model S4 when I had the car in for inspection.
    The 5cyc is very fun engine in the RS3 and virtual cockpit is great, but no power seats was strange and no manual gearbox.
    And the new S4 was nice too with the new turbo v6, nice interior but no stick again

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but those are not the same car. The TT, specifically the RS, is not the same as a four seater/multipurpose. The TT to the wife and I, is an upgraded MX5. The Miata is great, even feels great and drives great. But if you don’t want a Mazda you are left with a BMW and Audi. Back in the day I would have checked out the Sky and the Soltice in this category, but alas, EPA does not appreciate inefficient small cars.

That leaves us where we are.

What other Awd 2 seater convertible is in the market with luxury performance (as opposed to the Miata’s performance without luxury) is there to choose from. Not going Lotus and such for the ease of the wife getting maintenance easily, so not many options.

Other S and M s on the market do not give a fair evaluation as they are not a roadster.

And yes/no Tesla. Not convinced yet. Future will tell.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife has one of the mk2 TTs'. Coupe, not roadster. Pretty fun after swapping in a k04.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, looking at TTS as the wife doesn’t need a “performance” package on a “Performance” car.

Didn’t mean to override @MetalAF just curious myself.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly haven't heard very positive things about the TT's. Not as a daily nor a sports car. I mean, i'm sure they fulfill a sporty feel, but there's a reason you never see one at a track day.

I know its not AWD, but the Alfa Guilia is pretty effin amazing. If i wanted a 4 door that wasn't a CTR or a Tesla, i'd get a Giulia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Giulia is available in awd. It’s the giulia quadrifoglio. However, it’s $80k+

Also, if you have never seen a Golf R, Audi TTS or Audi S3 at track days then not sure what to say. Always see a bunch here. A well set up one is very fast in advanced class. The MK7 MQB chassis is light years better than the older platforms.
    Last edited by razorlab; 07-28-2018 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To give you guys an idea where my heads at, its kind of between this and a GTR. GTR owners complain about the transmissions, so that kind of sucks. The v10 R8 is a little more $ than I wanted to go, and did't want to mess with the v8.

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To give you guys an idea where my heads at, its kind of between this and a GTR. GTR owners complain about the transmissions, so that kind of sucks. The v10 R8 is a little more $ than I wanted to go, and did't want to mess with the v8.
    GTR is way more capable than a TTRS. For pure performance and potential, GTR hands down.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nik, the owner of VF Engineering, was asked a straight up question on TheSmokingTire podcast on "You take a lot of cars apart. What's the best made car?" with little context. He didn't even hesitate over the question and said the gen2 V10 R8, saying the build quality throughout was on another level.

https://youtu.be/ZjMFXsU1XF0?t=48m39s

Just thought it was a fun tidbit to listen to. That guy really knows his stuff.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
    Nik, the owner of VF Engineering, was asked a straight up question on TheSmokingTire podcast on "You take a lot of cars apart. What's the best made car?" with little context. He didn't even hesitate over the question and said the gen2 V10 R8, saying the build quality throughout was on another level.

Wow, 30k difference between the v10 and v10+ and the only difference is the tune.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised no one has thrown this out, but unless they have made a significant design change, the TT is not made for tall people. I had to duck down to see out of the windshield. (6' 4")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option for a AWD drive coupe is the BMW M235i/40i with x-drive. Strong tuning capabilities with the motor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a TT but we just purchased an RS3 for my wife and she loves it. So far my only complaint is the steering feel being too light. Otherwise, it's comfortable, and great to drive. It's much faster than it seems (I'm use to the loudness/rattling of the Evo) and causes my wife to drive a bit too aggressively...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post

Wow, 30k difference between the v10 and v10+ and the only difference is the tune.
    Yeah. The whole podcast is great to listen to. Really insightful on what high-end tuner shops are like