User Tag List

Thread: Shift fork, my turn....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shift fork, my turn....

I'm the next one on the Shift fork malfunction I'm afraid....
    First sign of failure was that I couldn't down shift to 1st when I was in 2nd, gearbox refused with bipbip, in town, then as soon as I upshift to 3rd, 'ding' service required and I lost even gears.
    Of course I'm on holidays 1000 km from home....
    I managed to limp to our camping and I'll call Mitsu tomorrow morning.
    Evoscan 2.9 gave me p1831, p1832, p1833
    Evoscan 2.8 gave me p1833, I cleared DTCs with Ecuflash and Evoscan 2.8 but 10 secs after I put ignition back on then service required comes again and P1833 too.

So couple of questions:
    Is there a way to clear this DTC (I haven't tried evoscan 2.9)?
    Do you think I can drive the car like that (without even gears) ? for small distances around ? Till home 1000 km away?
    What is the current situation about this fork, I saw Dodson made a 3rd revision of it, is it OK now?
    Waiting to see how / if /when Mitsu can fix the car.... tired....

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh.
    8/23/19: David Koch has died at 79.
    One down, uno mas.

Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meanwhile Rik is riding dogbox.
    2.3L Fully Built MR, 640whp on E100 EFR7670 T4 EWG. Struggling with local shops and customs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think that there is a problem moving the car around.
    Dodson made a completely different magnet and much more expensive but I haven't seen any feedback for that.
    You don't need an aftermarket magnet . Dodson stuff is not a performance item. You can simply take out all 4 magnets and make sure they aren't going away any more by either applying new/other epoxy or putting a small screw and nut.
    The difficult (and expensive) part is to take the transmission out and open it.

Here is how we moded mine

IMG-49c12f08dcf1d8e959be8bebc208d5ba-V.jpg

IMG-c144980b670fcd03f13c69011e4a6d67-V.jpg

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove about that far to get home when it happened to me. I was driving to the race track early in the morning and bam. I didn't even have the good fortune to get on the track.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemuth View Post
    I drove about that far to get home when it happened to me. I was driving to the race track early in the morning and bam. I didn't even have the good fortune to get on the track.
    Ouch!

I remember people saying that the dodson fork still had faliures, hence the multiple revisions. Not sure if the most recent revision has fixed it, but i'd check with Kozmic.

BTW kozmic just built a 13 clutch SST. 7 clutches for odd gears and 6 for even.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys for your replies!
    So I went to the dealer, they said they can remove the gearbox but they won't open it! They want to give it to a transmission shop around, which I called, and he said he won't accept the gearbox only to repair, they would accept to do the job if they handle all the job including removing / re-install gearbox....
    So I have been driving around like that for 300 km now, nothing getting worse, I have decided to get home like that... and if we arrive, maybe do the job myself, not sure yet.
    Thx athanasiosnoir for the pictures, very interesting, have you secured like that only the 2-4 shift fork magnet, or have you done another fork magnet too?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you get there, you will see that there are 3 magnets that have metal to plastic connection. I secured all 3 of them.
    Good luck man...
    Last edited by athanasiosnoir; 07-29-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasiosnoir View Post
    Once you get there, you will see that there are 3 magnets that have metal to plastic connection. I secured all 3 of them.
    Good luck man...
    Thx for the info... and the wishes!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#MeToo

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday. P1833 and lost even gears.. It clears up for a bit if I cycle the key, so I think the magnet is loose, and hasn't fallen off just yet.

To add fuel to the fire.. my ACD pump failed last week, the replacement hasn't even made it here yet.

She's a cruel mistress...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patmaxx View Post
    Thanks guys for your replies!
    So I went to the dealer, they said they can remove the gearbox but they won't open it! They want to give it to a transmission shop around, which I called, and he said he won't accept the gearbox only to repair, they would accept to do the job if they handle all the job including removing / re-install gearbox....
    So I have been driving around like that for 300 km now, nothing getting worse, I have decided to get home like that... and if we arrive, maybe do the job myself, not sure yet.
    Thx athanasiosnoir for the pictures, very interesting, have you secured like that only the 2-4 shift fork magnet, or have you done another fork magnet too?
    Get transmission out of car - Ship it to Kozmic Motorsports or Jack's transmissions to repair - get it shipped back.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HispanicPanic View Post
    Ouch!

I remember people saying that the dodson fork still had faliures, hence the multiple revisions. Not sure if the most recent revision has fixed it, but i'd check with Kozmic.

@HispanicPanic did you had a chance to speak with Kozmic regarding Dodsons v6 2/4 magnet?

i had an other magnet failure (with P1833 and lost even gears) despite the fact that i had secured all 3 magnets.
    Still i am waiting for the trans to open and inspect, but it would be really intersting to know whether the latest Dodson magnet works properly.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HispanicPanic View Post
    Ouch!

@HispanicPanic did you had a chance to speak with Kozmic regarding Dodsons v6 2/4 magnet?

i had an other magnet failure (with P1833 and lost even gears) despite the fact that i had secured all 3 magnets.
    Still i am waiting for the trans to open and inspect, but it would be really intersting to know whether the latest Dodson magnet works properly.

Thanks.
    Sorry, I didn't mean that I would check with them, I just meant I would check with them if I were you. Sorry for the confusion LOL.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just ordered a Dodson version 6 2/4 fork magnet from my local Dodson dealer. I suppose that after so many failures of their magnets the last few years, they did it better this time. Also, it is 3x + more expensive .
    So, i am going to report back with results, hopefully in a couple of days.
    Fingers crossed
    Last edited by athanasiosnoir; 01-15-2019 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magnet came today. Need some days for installation and then test if it actually works as expected...

20190117_150614.jpg

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Magnet came today. Need some days for installation and then test if it actually works as expected...

20190117_150614.jpg
    I don't understand how you have a magnet failure when you bolted them onto the fork. It is my understanding that the SST is very sensitive to the location of the magnet and if it is off more than 1mm or so, it will throw codes.

It looks like Dodson has a replacement magnet in an aluminum case/holder?

Edit: I just saw your build thread explaining the shift fork magnet failure.
    Last edited by Mnemuth; 01-18-2019 at 04:25 AM.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20190117_150614.jpg
    I don't understand how you have a magnet failure when you bolted them onto the fork. It is my understanding that the SST is very sensitive to the location of the magnet and if it is off more than 1mm or so, it will throw codes.

It looks like Dodson has a replacement magnet in an aluminum case/holder?

Edit: I just saw your build thread explaining the shift fork magnet failure.
    You are very right about the sensitivity of the magnets exact location . I have a video showing the movement of the magnet, with the screw being inside, but I don't know how to post a video here. Don't have a YouTube account.
    Last edited by athanasiosnoir; 01-25-2019 at 02:46 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    atta boy, lol!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managed to upload the video showing the magnets movement.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Test of the version 6 Dodson 2/4 shift fork magnet done with great success!!!
    When first started the car it couldn't engage into 4th gear, every other gears fine. It was only after the Shift Fork Teach In that it worked fine.

Still I can't complete the clutch ventilation and boost teach in, after many many tries...
    Last edited by athanasiosnoir; 01-25-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you using for teach in?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yeayeaatou View Post
    What are you using for teach in?
    My laptop with pass thru can and the tactrix cable