User Tag List

Thread: Electronic boost controller advice needed

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electronic boost controller advice needed

Before the start of last race season had fitted up a 3-port Ralliart boost control valve before getting the car tuned. The short story is the tuner couldn't get the car to hold a stable boost level so fitted a manual boost tap in place. This has served us well for the last season with no issues. I'm fitting a new turbo shortly & changing to ethanol based fuel & would like to go back to some form of electronic boost control again. Considering we are planning on running up to 30 psi where required what would be the preferred way of doing so. We need reliable, accurate & stable boost control to squeeze every little advantage out we can get. Should i be looking at say a turbosmart E2 or is the factory ECU teamed with say a Grimspeed valve up to the duty. Weirdly the tuner never got to the bottom of the problem & he's super experienced. What is the right way forward?

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your wastegate configuration and what wastegate is it? What turbo?
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a grimmspeed 3port with my PT5858 with Turbosmart external wastegate and has no problem controlling boost from wastegate all the way to 30psi so far.

Properly tuned, ECU controlled boost on these cars is superior to anything else out there.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the time of all the issues were running a gen 1 Garret GTX3076R, external 44mm GFB wastegate, ralliart 3 port boost solenoid valve in conjunction with the factory ECU. The turbo CHRA shit itself so it's now a frankenstein with the existing housing's bored out & what essentially is an equivalent to a gen 2 GTX3582 CHRA inside. Waste gate remains the same - just not sure what do do about the boost control. The tuner is a 5 hour drive so want everything right before I take the car to him.
    I think that he was experiencing blow off valve issues at the last tune also (GFB recirc) & reverted back to the factory BOV. Can't help but be suspicious this may have been some of the problem.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4B11T View Post
    At the time of all the issues were running a gen 1 Garret GTX3076R, external 44mm GFB wastegate, ralliart 3 port boost solenoid valve in conjunction with the factory ECU. The turbo CHRA shit itself so it's now a frankenstein with the existing housing's bored out & what essentially is an equivalent to a gen 2 GTX3582 CHRA inside. Waste gate remains the same - just not sure what do do about the boost control. The tuner is a 5 hour drive so want everything right before I take the car to him.
    I think that he was experiencing blow off valve issues at the last tune also (GFB recirc) & reverted back to the factory BOV. Can't help but be suspicious this may have been some of the problem.

I STRONGLY preferred my stock BOV over a synapse for track driving. It honestly is pretty good at stock turbo boost levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tuner is suggesting separate control from the ecu with either a Turbosmart Boost E2 or the combination Innovation boost / wideband unit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is wanting to run in excess of 30psi boost the reason why he is suggesting this?

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your tuner should be able to explain his reasoning.

I've never used and will never use a standalone electronic boost controller on an Evo X... factory boost control is great and you can do a lot of things you could never do without additional inputs. Boost by gear, predictive IAT compensation, different boost target for varying throttle position (a huge one), upward compensation dump during shifts on SST cars, etc.

It's probably because of a choppy boost curve. There's no way to run more than 100% duty cycle, so either factory boost control or an external EBCS can achieve the most possible boost on a single-port wastegate external wastegate.

IMO, with a 5 hour drive to tune, get an e-tune. I may seem biased, but I also know the difference it can make between tuning w/ somebody who knows what they're doing vs. somebody who does not.
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4B11T View Post
    Is wanting to run in excess of 30psi boost the reason why he is suggesting this?
    You can easily command and get more than 30psi boost from the ECU _if everything is setup correctly_. I'd find a new tuner.