User Tag List

Thread: Measuring front LCA angles

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Measuring front LCA angles

I should probably start a build thread or something......

I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions on easy ways to measure the angle of the Front LCA. I'm trying to get it flat and level with the ground and adjust the tie rods to match. I'm sticking my digital angle finder on the flat machined surface where the sway bar brackets bolt to. Its the only flat spot i have access to on the LCA, but in taking a second look it might be a bit different than what the actual angle of the LCA is. Suggestions? In just looking at the pic, i'll probably have to lower the car more.

I already measured the flatness of the garage floor and placed a stack of vinyl flooring tiles under each wheel to bring the whole car level. I'm comfortable in knowing if the gauge is reading .1 degrees, its probably an actual .1 degrees. The ride height is set. L & R are within a mm or two of each other.

So everything is fitted up, just tweaking suspension alignment a touch before i start cutting into my widebody kit for wheel clearance on turns.... I'm going to have to chop a decent amount off the side skirts and front bumper. Hopefully i don't touch the oil cooler, but its looking like i MIGHT. Definitely going to have to do some aero add-ons to make up for all the stuff i have to cut off.

IMG_20180611_232217.jpg

Oohh, mods are megan ball joints on tallest setting and racefab tie rod ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im assuming that you want to minimize lateral movement of the wheel as the suspension travels up/down? And to make sure that the LCA and the tie rod is parallel to eliminate bump steer? that machined surface looks like the best place to measure, although i am not sure that it's parallel to the line running thru the ball joint and pivot points.

I've used the little digital gauge (just like yours) to set up my camber also. What i've found is that the length of the flat area of that gauge is simply not big enough to give consistent reading. It's always within .1 of a degree, but i think a longer level gauge would be more precise. I've now been using a 20'' harbor freight laser leveler and gauge. It may be too long for your needs, but they may have slightly shorter ones too.

I like how you've leveled your car to compensate for uneven floor. I do the same with sheets of laminated paper and wood.
    '11 GSR
    Current
    2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. Self tuned

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    Im assuming that you want to minimize lateral movement of the wheel as the suspension travels up/down? And to make sure that the LCA and the tie rod is parallel to eliminate bump steer?

Exactly. Someone gave me the idea to mark a point on the LCA bolt and ball joint then measure its distance from the ground. The only problem is i cant stick an arm under the car while its on the ground lol. I'll see if i can get a straight edge, mark the two points, and use my gauge while holding the straight edge along the two points.
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Know someone that has an alignment rack with floating tables/plates that you cna borrow/rent? Then you can get under it easily enough.
    Well, now that the North Korea threat is over and done with, Trump can turn his attention to ending the War on Christmas.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know what the angle is on the LCA's from the factory? Like with stock suspension and stuff? Is it level, or pointed slightly downward??

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HispanicPanic View Post
    Anyone know what the angle is on the LCA's from the factory? Like with stock suspension and stuff? Is it level, or pointed slightly downward??
    You will struggle to find an X at standard ride height to check