User Tag List

Thread: Fitting 18x12'splan

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fitting 18x12'splan

So i know i teased about this like 2 years ago, but i quit my job last month so i finally have time to do racecar stuff. I traveled 11 out of 12 months last year. I was PISSED!

Anyhoot, So i got a set of Forgestar F14's in their super deep concave face option. Size is 18x12 with a +6 Offset. According to my calculations, this should have fit the 335 Rival S tire to about the same inset as a 10.5 inch +22 rim with 285's on it, which we all know is a confirmed fit, but also straddles the line on minimum offset to clear the coilovers. I think previous reports stated 3mm clearance with that setup. Anyways, maybe my MCS coilovers are a bit on the large side.... maybe i just suck at planning.

Question is..... Do you guys think a 5mm spacer will do? Still on the stock Wheel studs and was hoping to stay stock length on these. I have a feeling i'll have to bite the rocky mountain oyster and get extended studs with a 10mm spacer..... the Varis wide fenders (35mm over stock) seem to already be at the limit of what i can stuff. Another 10mm and i'll probably have to slice and dice the wide body. Rear camber is already near what i need to run on track (-2.5 ish). Fronts will probably be fine cause of the increased camber they'll run (-3.6 ish)

IMG_20180509_162847.jpg

IMG_20180509_170155.jpg

IMG_20180509_170201.jpg

IMG_20180509_161651.jpg
    Last edited by HispanicPanic; 05-09-2018 at 03:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, i have fat palms. title of thread us fuxed. Can a mod fix it plz?
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HispanicPanic View Post
    ...So i got a set of Forgestar F14's in their super deep concave face option. Size is 18x12 with a +6 Offset. According to my calculations, this should have fit the 335 Rival S tire to about the same inset as a 10.5 inch +22 rim with 285's on it, which we all know is a confirmed fit, but also straddles the line on minimum offset to clear the coilovers. I think previous reports stated 3mm clearance with that setup. Anyways, maybe my MCS coilovers are a bit on the large side.... maybe i just suck at planning.

IMG_20180509_162847.jpg
    Doh! That tire is way into the lower spring perch. It would need at least 10mm, and then you might have... (gasp)... POKE!

Don't worry - if we can fit 18x10.5" under stock fenders you can fit 18x12" under those mega flares.

Might be easier to make this work with a shorter spring. Did you get the MCS kit from Vorshlag? And the wheels? Its been a while, right? Call us - we can try to get you a shorter spring, which raises the lower perch and the entire spring package "above the tire".

We always try to do this on McStrut cars - tuck the top of the tire under the bottom of the lower perch and spring. Gains all sorts of inboard wheel room.

This is the secret sauce to all of our wider wheel/tire setups. 19x11" and 305mm under stock Mustang fenders, etc. Yes, the spring might come unseated at full droop (on a lift), and you often have to lose a tender spring. But the added tire width is always worth it...

Cheers,
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair View Post
    ...So i got a set of Forgestar F14's in their super deep concave face option. Size is 18x12 with a +6 Offset. According to my calculations, this should have fit the 335 Rival S tire to about the same inset as a 10.5 inch +22 rim with 285's on it, which we all know is a confirmed fit, but also straddles the line on minimum offset to clear the coilovers. I think previous reports stated 3mm clearance with that setup. Anyways, maybe my MCS coilovers are a bit on the large side.... maybe i just suck at planning.

IMG_20180509_162847.jpg
    Doh! That tire is way into the lower spring perch. It would need at least 10mm, and then you might have... (gasp)... POKE!

Don't worry - if we can fit 18x10.5" under stock fenders you can fit 18x12" under those mega flares.

Might be easier to make this work with a shorter spring. Did you get the MCS kit from Vorshlag? And the wheels? Its been a while, right? Call us - we can try to get you a shorter spring, which raises the lower perch and the entire spring package "above the tire".

We always try to do this on McStrut cars - tuck the top of the tire under the bottom of the lower perch and spring. Gains all sorts of inboard wheel room.

This is the secret sauce to all of our wider wheel/tire setups. 19x11" and 305mm under stock Mustang fenders, etc. Yes, the spring might come unseated at full droop (on a lift), and you often have to lose a tender spring. But the added tire width is always worth it...

Cheers,
    Aahhh!!! I didn't even think about that!! I do have a swift 6 kg/mm tender spring up front. I'll remove it and see if the tire will clear.

And yes, I did get the mcs kit from you guys. It has been a while!!

I'll let you know if removing the tender doesn't work and pick up a shorter spring.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Fair Crisis averted. But upon taking a closer look, not sure there's enough room between the tire and coilover. About 1mm of space inbetween. I stacked a few post cards to 1mm and thats about where i start to feel resistance sliding it between the tire and coil over. So i guess 3mm spacers are in order? Also, i may need to lower the front a little bit more, but i feel like i'm at the lower limit of where i can set my perch. Your thoughts?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow those are huge. Here I am thinking 265's were decent! Guess that means serious guard rolling action. I considered 275's but thought they were a bad match for 9.5" wide wheels.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell I'd send it... but yea a 3mm spacer might make this less stressful.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered 3 mm spacers for the car.

Just a little background, i ran 10.5 inch rpf1's on a 1 inch spacer prior to this kit to fit the widebody and see how the car would do with such a crazy offset. From my calcs, my forgestar f14's in 18x12 +6 were identical. I left suspension settings the same (max camber on top hat, minimum camber on spindle, max caster settings on top hat and offset PSRS). The steering afterwards was dead. and TOUGH!! So in an effort to go back to an acceptable steering characteristics, i am now running th e top hat on minimum caster. Nothing i can do about the PSRS, but if i feel i need less caster i'll get a different LCA. Besides, its only adding .5 degrees at the most when the top hat is at minimum settings.

Anyways, after dropping the car and measuring camber, its not enough. I need at LEAST -3.3 up front. Ideally up to -4 in preparation for the stickies, but i want to shoot for -3.5 at the moment. Moving everything back to minimum caster removes a lot of camber up front, so i had to add camber back at the spindle. As soon as i tried this i noticed the tires won't fit anymore

WELP, the 3mm spacers i ordered won't be enough. I'll need to go higher. Tomorrow i'll fit the spacers, stack them on one corner, and see how much more offset i need to get the tire to clear.

Oh, and i'm sure some of you may be thinking it... but +6 was the biggest offset forgestar offers in this rim. Otherwise i probably would have ordered a 0 to start.

The rears fit fine of course, a solid half inch between the inner body and the rim. But its cutting it real close on the fender.... even with the 35mm over fenders!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have same front/rear fender clearance with your widebody kit? I'm finding i have la bit ess clearance with my varis front fenders vs the rear over fenders that seem a bit wider. Looks like i'll be going a 19x12 with different front/rear offsets.
    2.2L Manley + GTX3076R
    GSC S2 + Beehives
    Tomei downpipe
    AFI manifold
    ETS 4" FMIC
    MAP rev2 3.5" intake
    CompClutch Stage3
    Ultra Lightweight Flywheel
    FIC + Radium + Turbosmart + GFB
    XT206R + KW v3 + Bluestuff + Whiteline
    Varis wide body

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bentX View Post
    Do you have same front/rear fender clearance with your widebody kit? I'm finding i have la bit ess clearance with my varis front fenders vs the rear over fenders that seem a bit wider. Looks like i'll be going a 19x12 with different front/rear offsets.
    Actually yes. The front widebody fenders are supposidly 35mm over stock, but i find that the front tires bulge slightly more, even though they have more camber than the rear. Honestly, the fronts could be a solid 10mm wider. Though i suspect the clearance might be better if i were on stock balljoints and lowered the same amount.

FYi got the wheels fitted up nicely. 3mm spacers work with the knuckle at minimum camber. Currently have tophat set at minimum caster, maximum camber. Only able to squeeze about 2.9 camber out of the front right now. Steering feel is WAY better than running max caster. I'm kind of worried though because i'm certain i'll need more camber. If i turn the knuckle up to max camber, i'll have to use 12mm spacers in order to clear the coilover, and that'll make things a bit worse with the scrub radius. Testing is in order to verify current setup though. Currently at an effective +3 Offset on 18x12's. Turning up camber will put me at -9 offset.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @HispanicPanic hey man, how did this all end? I am sort of looking to go the same route as im looking to stuff as much tire as possible under there.
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    @HispanicPanic hey man, how did this all end? I am sort of looking to go the same route as im looking to stuff as much tire as possible under there.
    I got it to work! Lol. My recommendation is to not use aftermarket control arms and use the OEM ball joints. Longer ball joints make everything a massive pain when running any kind of caster on those massive wheels lol.

Forgestar makes good wheels, I had to run a 3mm spacer to clear the coils on 335s. Minimum camber setting on the knuckle, maximum camber on the tophat. Also had to make sure the coilovers perch sat above the tire, which required a shorter front spring. Also had to chop up the sideskirt to make room for the tires while turning.

Also, a 35mm widebody isn't QUITE large enough in my opinion. Still fits, but I wish I had an extra 7 or 10 mm

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @HispanicPanic THanks for that. Which widebody kit would you recommend? I dont want it to look like a hack job. I was looking at victory function carbon but they are only +20 on each corner

oh, and how much do those wheels weigh?
    '11 GSR

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wheels are about 24 lb each. Theyre not light at all, they're also massive lol. ForgeStarr also makes custom 2 Peace wheels which should be a lot lighter, and they're fully forged. But I believe they're like 3 300 a set.

I have the Chinese knockoff version of the varris Widebody kit. It's 35 mm wider on each side. Honestly don't think anything else will come close to fitting. Even the Chinese knockoff version was about 5 grand for the entire kit. If you go genuine, the Fitment will definitely be better But it'll cost close to 15 k. Other than that you're only option is to do something super custom. considering the cost, if you find someone really good I guarantee you they can make you a custom wide body kit for the same price as a Chinese knockoff version.

Another Recommendation would be to not paint the car. The place I took it to forgot to put on primer. You could imagine how pissed I am because everything's chipping bad. So difficult to find a decent paint shop that doesn't charge 3 to 5 grand. you would be better off just wrapping the entire car in vinyl. Especially if you track the car at all.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post any pics of the way they fit? Im assuming you need bumpers if you are using those flairs? Something like Victory function leaves the bumpers and doors completely untouched

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you post any pics of the way they fit? Im assuming you need bumpers if you are using those flairs? Something like Victory function leaves the bumpers and doors completely untouched

Sorry for the delay! As you can see, the kit could use another 7 to 10 mm to fully envelop the tires. And this is the rival s in 335s. It's probably fine the way it is if you're a hard Parker, people generally like a tiny amount of poke, but I'm thinking strictly for aero purposes

Car is hella dirty, It's got two track events worth of Grime and a couple months worth of storage dust. Also the paint job is s***, I don't recommend going with paint if you track the car. I would have had to spend twice as much on a paint job that would have only chipped half as much

Also, earlier this month I pulled the car out of the garage to work on the daily for a few days. The hail storm hit literally the next day and ruined the entire car. I'm 100% SOL on all the metal body panels..... The fiberglass is ok though. I still don't know what I'm going to do about the hail damage.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hail damage will only create a golf ball effect! Apparently reduces drag lol.

I think that kit looks nice with those tires

'11 GSR

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hail damage will only create a golf ball effect! Apparently reduces drag lol.

I think that kit looks nice with those tires

haha, that's what i plan on telling all the guys at the track when they make fun of me! And thanks, i'm not sure how much a 335 hoosier changes in size compared to the rival S, but we shall see at some point soon.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another Recommendation would be to not paint the car. The place I took it to forgot to put on primer. You could imagine how pissed I am because everything's chipping bad.
    wait, what?

are you sure they didnt prime? unless that step was left out cause they thought the kit was already primed, primer is not only necessary, it is a blessing for body shops since it reduces the amount of time spent on addressing imperfections since it 's pretty self leveling. I think it might have been they didn't prep the chinese material first and use a specific primer for crappy plastics.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by momo View Post
    Another Recommendation would be to not paint the car. The place I took it to forgot to put on primer. You could imagine how pissed I am because everything's chipping bad.
    wait, what?

are you sure they didnt prime? unless that step was left out cause they thought the kit was already primed, primer is not only necessary, it is a blessing for body shops since it reduces the amount of time spent on addressing imperfections since it 's pretty self leveling. I think it might have been they didn't prep the chinese material first and use a specific primer for crappy plastics.
    I think they thought it had already been "pre primed". The surface of the panels was matte-ish like a primer usually looks like, and they had sanded/shaped the panels from the factory, so I guess they assumed.