User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Streetable Aero for your X

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Streetable Aero for your X

    As per the thread title I'm looking at adding some streetable aero modifications to benefit track use for time trial type events for street cars. Keeping it simple looking at a 4" front splitter, any effective rear wing ie: aeromotions / voltex type 5, maybe also build an aluminium flat floor & rear venturi if we really get keen. Aero really seems to be a real balancing act so was looking for some advice & actual experience on this for some pointers. I have trawled the net picking up lots of information but may have overloaded now & confused the crap out of myself. Ideas or internet links to helpful sites or articles would be hugely appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,063
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In theory, any aero should be streetable as long as the ride height isn't too low or the splitter isn't too massive. It sounds like you're on the right track with a 4 inch splitter. With 4 inches, it's unlikely you'll need a dual element wing. I would honestly do your underbody first (with splitter) then test things out on the stock wing. An aeromotions or AJ hartman wing would be a good wing choice and you'll end up running it at low-ish angle of attack on a 4 inch splitter, depending on if your rear diffuser is aggressive or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ak47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this car is road legal, any aftermarket will be streetable.Screenshot_20180529-193857~2.jpgScreenshot_20180529-193844~2.jpg

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the evo is tough for flat floor and diffuser as once you get past the middle, it's rather difficult to get a proper diffuser tunnel setup with the fuel saddle and rear diff in the way and it really comes down to what the regs allow as far as aero is concerned. Also any aero setup can be made "streetable", if you don't mind adjusting ride height before or after an event as there is alot of downforce gains to be had from lowering and adjusting the rake of the body. As far as aero goes, once you put a well mounted splitter on, the stock wing is useless. I believe I have a whitepaper on it somewhere that stated it effectively produced around 100 lbs downforce at 100+. The bigger issue is that aero inevitably will entail some amount of body modification (ie properly sealing a splitter to the front bumper, enlarging and dropping the side skirts, etc) and from seeing your other threads, you have been looking at mods that would allow for you to easily revert.
    Last edited by zabes; 05-29-2018 at 05:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get the impression that unless I do a proper well thought out aero setup (chassis mounted splitter, flat floor, extended side skirts, rear diffuser, chassis mounted or well supported rear wing) then I'm probably wasting my time. I might be able to consult with a local aerodynamics guy that does a lot of CFD analysing if I were to jump in boots & all.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4B11T View Post
    I get the impression that unless I do a proper well thought out aero setup (chassis mounted splitter, flat floor, extended side skirts, rear diffuser, chassis mounted or well supported rear wing) then I'm probably wasting my time. I might be able to consult with a local aerodynamics guy that does a lot of CFD analysing if I were to jump in boots & all.
    for a splitter, if it properly setup, it will generate enough force to rip it off of the front bumper no question. see APR's own install guidelines on mounting here. Show cars get away with it since they only care about the looks and not the function. There are already a couple good threaded points that are unused on the front of the chassis to use for mounting, just would require making a custom bracket for them.

    Wings, you can get away with trunk mounted up to a point as long as they have a good sized base to distribute the force ie. aeromotions.

    Aero, you have to remember, is a total package encompassing the entire body of the car and there are many factors that can effect the total effectiveness of that package.

    Starting off, I would suggest going with a good splitter and adjustable wing. That way you can fairly easily balance out the front and rear. A basic splitter can be constructed out of plywood and glassed to increase stiffness and then build a a fence up to the stock bumper and use vinyl to seal the gap. Would be fairy heavy, but effective and durable. Easy enough later on to improve construction of it to lighten it up. AJ Hartman would be a good guy to start with. Good knowledge on the area and be able to give you a good idea on where to start.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    145
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At what stage does one have to seriously look at aero? Sounds like a dumb question I know! I've found my fastest lap times on street class tyres is when the car is at bordering on out of control. Driving the car at its limit now means twitchy, sliding & in constant state of correction. Chassis, shocks, tyres obviously have an important role to play - how much does say adding a front splitter / rear wing help to stability. There must come a point where the benefit outweighs the extra weight added or the reduction in straightline speed through added drag. The Evo X is already overweight compared to its competition, i'm trying to limit any unnecessary weight where possible & make gains through diligent car setup / tuning & now driver ability. I'm making a point of attending driver training in the off season to refine my bad habits & hopefully grow as a driver.

  8. #8
    Global Mod of Stuffs Locust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,170
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4B11T View Post
    At what stage does one have to seriously look at aero? Sounds like a dumb question I know! I've found my fastest lap times on street class tyres is when the car is at bordering on out of control. Driving the car at its limit now means twitchy, sliding & in constant state of correction. Chassis, shocks, tyres obviously have an important role to play - how much does say adding a front splitter / rear wing help to stability. There must come a point where the benefit outweighs the extra weight added or the reduction in straightline speed through added drag. The Evo X is already overweight compared to its competition, i'm trying to limit any unnecessary weight where possible & make gains through diligent car setup / tuning & now driver ability. I'm making a point of attending driver training in the off season to refine my bad habits & hopefully grow as a driver.
    Depends on how effective your aero is. Just make sure when you go for it you put it on both ends of the car. A wing and chassis mounted splitter aren't all that heavy. You could get it done for under 15lbs if you didn't go big on the wing. Carbon canards from Varis weigh less than 2lbs combined and the Varis rear diffuser is fairly light as well. The 20lbs you'd add by doing a basic aero package are well worth the gains in cornering speeds.

    2012 EvoX MR - 11.289 @ 123.24mph
    2015 Scion FR-S - D-Street in SCCA Solo II
    Info/Pics: Instagram / Build Thread
    Sponsors: DSGPerformance
    Founder: Evil Apex Racing

  9. #9
    Senior Member ak47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope there is wind tunnel that you can rent like Dyno too see Cdrag, downforce,lift etc.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    365
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    I hope there is wind tunnel that you can rent like Dyno too see Cdrag, downforce,lift etc.
    if you have many $$$$'s of dollars they are available. For the most part now CFD has taken over at mid level and then adjusted based on real world feedback.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ak47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zabes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ak47 View Post
    I hope there is wind tunnel that you can rent like Dyno too see Cdrag, downforce,lift etc.
    if you have many $$$$'s of dollars they are available. For the most part now CFD has taken over at mid level and then adjusted based on real world feedback.
    Because there are only a few wind tunnel in the USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •