0 Thread(s)
    He’s going from JRZ’s to the Ohlins

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    He’s going from JRZ’s to the Ohlins
    They are custom valved for the spring rates I'll be running. I had to move to a shorter spring to clear the front tires.

I am attempting to decrease unsprung weight where possible. The rear park brake has been removed. I wish I had an idea how much lighter the Brypar uprights might be. The stock uprights don't seem to deploy any unnecessary mass and are forged steel. I guess that 7075 aluminum is roughly as strong as mild steel but half the weight. The uprights are a bit spendy, however, given the material cost and machining time (no doubt).

I still need to find a shop to do the suspension set up work...
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same problem in the front with 285 section tires and the stock Ohlins springs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mnemuth, depending on what your using your car for, which looks like to me from the certain parts you’ve got (track related) I do thing you should get a 3-way suspension setup???

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Realbadman View Post
    Mnemuth, depending on what your using your car for, which looks like to me from the certain parts you’ve got (track related) I do thing you should get a 3-way suspension setup???
    If it were a race car, I would consider it. However, I still drive the car on the street and do track days and wanted a good suspension but not one I would have to rebuild all the damned time (e.g. JRZ). Besides, I'm not smart enough to know what to do with 3 settings.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can upgrade to the 100-200 dollar per bushing "good stuff", and still have to service them. Items like that are serviceable, but all of it depends on use.
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expected the car to be loud with all the heim joints and it is not. In fact, I cannot even say it is any louder at all.

It is notably stiffer with the custom valving, but I am exploring the range of adjustment (when it isn't raining, which isn't much). The steering and handling is just fantastic--so much feedback and precision. I cannot wait to see how it does on the track in anger.

The car is roughly 3,400 lbs without driver based on the results of the corner balancing. The weight is not as bad as I feared, given it is an SST car with AC, 3 gallons of oil, coolers everywhere, stock seats, and so on. I would like to see not more than 3,400 lbs with driver and fuel.

I put the high pressure spring in the oil pump and it had 80 lbs oil pressure when I fired it up at first. I adjusted it down to 20-25 lbs hot at idle. It seems to immediately increase to roughly 100 lbs by 4k rpm. It does not exceed 100 lbs, which makes me think the high pressure valve is working at that pressure.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you think you lost most of your weight? The subframes?
    I am at 3520lbs without driver and that's a GSR
    '11 GSR
    Current
    2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. Self tuned

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    Titanium bolts, it had to be.

I have a 4 lb battery, STM? rear crash beam, no parking brake, no sun roof (heavy stuff there), TI exhaust, chromoly subframes and suspension, and nothing else that comes to mind.

I suspect my CF hood weighs as much or more than stock. I have a tank full of oil in the back along with a surge tank, a rear diff cooler with fan and pump, TC cooler with heat exchanger and pump, secondary SST cooler, pump, blah, blah.

Weight reduction is where I need to go next.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine down to 3200 at some point without driver and 1/2 tank of gas with AC, PS and a full interior. Nothing fancy outside of the Racefab subframes.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mnemuth i honestly though the car would weigh more with all the added weight you’ve introduced. She’s no spiner though that’s for sure.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemuth View Post
    a rear diff cooler with fan and pump, TC cooler with heat exchanger and pump.
    Do you have any of this described somewhere? I would love to learn more
    '11 GSR
    Current
    2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. Self tuned

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemuth View Post
    a rear diff cooler with fan and pump, TC cooler with heat exchanger and pump.
    Do you have any of this described somewhere? I would love to learn more
    Much of it is covered in my build threads. I haven't done a build thread for the car overall. I haven't had enough drama with it, lol.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mnemuth i honestly though the car would weigh more with all the added weight you’ve introduced. She’s no spiner though that’s for sure.
    I thought the same thing. The SST is a killer. I'd reckon it to weigh 100 lbs or so more compared to the manual. I have the OEM rear diff, too.

I'd guess that the Recaro's would be close to 100 lbs lost if I swap over to some CF seats. Those things are like boat anchors.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got mine down to 3200 at some point without driver and 1/2 tank of gas with AC, PS and a full interior. Nothing fancy outside of the Racefab subframes.
    Black E how you get the that low??? Did you take out the back seats???

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Realbadman View Post
    Black E how you get the that low??? Did you take out the back seats???
    No, all seats still in place.
    It was a lot of little things along with the usual heavy items. There’s a post somewhere in my thread with the pics of the at being weighted.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got some time to drive the Evo today. Wow, I sure am impressed by how well it handles.

The Ohlins have a good range of adjustment. I got the car back with the dampers turned all the way up. I adjusted them down and the difference is significant, and the road manners are quite agreeable. The car will bottom out on swoops, but that is just how it is set up. A really rough commute you might get sick of it.

The car has gotten to the point that it is difficult to drive half way. It does fine driving like a granny, sort of like Black E drives. And it runs great at full song. On the slow side of middle, there is a lot of blow off activity (errrh, kind of like Black E) and it just wants to go.

All the haters bitching about this car. I get a kick out of driving it even 6 years later. Sure, I'm only on the 3rd engine, 4th transmission, and only putting down 600 whp, but not everyone has bad luck with this platform.

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait....pulling paddles is difficult? Ha!

Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All kidding aside, I commend your commitment to your car. Hats off to you my friend!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you revalved the ohlins dfv? What rates did you choose?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait....pulling paddles is difficult? Ha!
    Having driven a standard my entire life, it was more difficult to get used to than one would expect. Luckily, it won't let you make a money shift.