User Tag List

Thread: PSA: Electric steering on new cars is aids

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PSA: Electric steering on new cars is aids

Took delivery of my new F80 M3 2 weeks ago. Then my dealership crashed the fucking thing (there will be a thread on this.. later, i almost crucified the dealer via Jalopnik, but i'm holding off right now for reasons). While the car is glorious, feels really fun etc, the steering is really not my thing. Has a very noticeable dead spot in the middle.

The 320i loaner car they gave me in the meantime has SUPERIOR steering to this $75,000 M3, it seriously feels like a go kart in comparison. But i guess the M is fine for the highway.

So in case you were debating selling you evo, and prioritize steering feel in tight corners under 50 especially, well don't do it. I mean i have no regrets really, tired of my evo that was nothing but problems towards the end, but this is a pretty big disappointment. I guess my expectations were too high.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electric steering (along with electric throttle and brakes) is a requirement for auto-driving vehicles. So, unfortunately, it's a necessary step.

However there are LOTS of ways to give it proper feedback and control. Apparently some mfgrs haven't figured that out yet though.
    8/23/19: David Koch has died at 79.
    One down, uno mas.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having a similar feel about my C43. It's just..lifeless in the steering. I got back behind the Evo after it had been sitting a few weeks and thought I had a bent rim from all the road feedback I was getting. After going back into the C43 again it just felt so utterly disconnected, like I was just using an arcade game steering wheel in a simulator.

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall electric assist steering does suck but the steering feel in my Fiesta ST is literally the best new gen electric assist steering that I have felt yet. It feels very close to my Evo.

The steering on my TDI and Golf R was f'in horrible. Had that same dead right off center feeling and overall just felt so artificial.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to try and act like an old person (because I'm probably still among the younger people here) but modern cars just aren't as interesting in general these days. I think the well regarded cars these days (like Fiesta ST razorlab mentioned) are the exception to the rule, not the challenge against it.

I don't see a point in buying anything on the market these days unless you get modern driving assistance tech. Adaptive cruise control with low speed follow (for bumper to bumper traffic) and lane keep assist are game changers for me. It's amazing how much less stress traffic is to deal with when the car just does it for me. Constantly monitoring traffic's speed next to me just to not get stuck behind someone? fuck that - just let adaptive cruise control take care of it.

You take away modern driving tech and I just don't find anything interesting about modern cars any more than their predecessors.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electrical steering is pretty much 90% on everything out the doors now. Its compact and no worry about the hydraulic mess to deal with(plus no drain on engine power to turn a pump)

Sadly most cars it brings a numb feel to them. Though few have delivered an actual good driving feel through electircal steering.

Self driving cars will be here soon enough so wont have to worry about road feedback anyways.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned