User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Athanasios EFR 9174 2009 SST build

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought the 9174 would be slower to spool and like that flat TQ line you have. Where do
    you go to run the car?

My 8374's boost and TQ #'s start dropping after 5800 so I'm jealous. I think part of it is
    due to my IWG. I'd like to move my TQ up to 450 and
    keep it there
    Evo10 Dyno.JPG

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run it at a nice flat road. The motor is a 2.2l stroker with 10.2:1 CR, so it spools the 9174 pretty fast.
    Regarding your setup, if you give some more boost and keep it till 8000rpm, your torque is going to rise and fall less up top.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ thats a pretty impressive graph. looks like you are at 23psi by about 4200RPM. In comparison my 2.05L 10:1 is at 23psi by 4900RPM. I would expect the discrepancy to be alot smaller due to stroke difference... Hm...

EDIT: ahh shit, im stupid. that was a smaller turbo...
    Last edited by mityaz; 01-17-2018 at 06:28 AM.
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stroker will have better low end gains vs overbore as well

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to Radium for a nice built product for the evo x community. Everything included and straight forward installation. The only thing i would like to point out for the EDM evos is that we don't have a pressure sensor, so i had to secure the provided hole for the US cars sensor.

20180130_145821.jpg

20180130_163452.jpg

20180130_170520.jpg

And thank you TJ for the support and the super fast shipping...
    Last edited by athanasiosnoir; 01-30-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20180202_190159.jpg

20180207_180611_resized.jpg

Going to wire the 2nd 450 pump and finally install an aquamist HFS 3 methanol injection kit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by athanasiosnoir; 02-27-2018 at 01:48 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was doing some 4th gear WOT pulls to test the meth injection and noticed some serious fuel starvation at 6000-6500 Rpm, even with the Radium dual pump hanger.
    I had that problem in the past too, but i thought the Radium unit would minimize the isuue. But it went worse, now the starvation occures at a single gear pull. With the OEM basket and 1 450 pump, it occured only at a 2nd to 4th gear pull.

Notes :

tank level at 1/4 . 1/2 and up no problem
    2 450 pumps wired to work at 14v only at WOT. 1 pump operation at 8v on idle and cruise
    used the green (smaller) return line restrictor

Any suggestions???

20180227_113754_resized_1.jpg
    20180214_175302_resized_2.jpg
    20180214_174926_resized_3.jpg
    20180227_091227_resized_4.jpg
    Last edited by athanasiosnoir; 02-27-2018 at 01:45 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Athanasios EFR 9174 2009 SST build

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A suggestion: you need a fuel surge tank set up. The hanger is really just providing a higher capacity volume available during lateral acceleration.
    I can do a 3rd-4th-5th gear pull with my first "fuel empty" warning light on because my surge tank is full.
    If i were you, i would have kept the stock hanger and installed a surge tank instead.
    '11 GSR

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your crossover hose to the other side of the tank is hooked up to the venturi right? Just checking as I know I can replicate this same scenario on MR's and Ralliarts that have the same net fuel consumption as your pump gas setup with no issues down to 1/4 tank on the stock hanger.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hose going from the venturi to the other side of the tank is in place.
    Mityaz, thank you very much for the suggestion. Going to the surge tank root was my first plan, but I was told that it was not needed. Apparently I should. Still, I am very curious what are other guys doing, using more fuel than me with the radium hanger. Don't they have starvation issues???

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am really happy with the car, despite the low tank level, fuel starvation issue, because it is super quite now.
    I 've installed 2 3.5" vibrant resonators.
    The previous resonators where custom built.

Old :

20180206_095213.jpg
    20180227_140127.jpg

New :

20180206_122324.jpg
    20180227_165916.jpg

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two vibrant mini-mufflers in my system now PLUS the large magnaflow rear muffler and I don't think I would describe it as quiet. It's for sure a better tone then before though. Quiet is stock exhaust.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasiosnoir View Post
    Mityaz, thank you very much for the suggestion. Going to the surge tank root was my first plan, but I was told that it was not needed. Apparently I should. Still, I am very curious what are other guys doing, using more fuel than me with the radium hanger. Don't they have starvation issues???
    well, i dont have a terrible amount of experience building cars unlike some of the people here. Even Radium themselves say that their hanger is not a fix for fuel starvation issues. yes, it's slightly larger capacity compared to the factory, but is still needs to get fuel into it while sitting on the floor and just "letting" the fuel flow into it. I dont even think the Radium's hanger has the little "jet" on the outside of it to force the fuel into the hanger. I would argue that in that sense, the stock hanger is BETTER at picking up fuel from the bottom of the tank, but the Radium does have those one-way balls. So who knows. In my opinion, it's somewhat of an unnecessary upgrade.

Doing dyno pulls with that hanger is fine im sure, but having lateral acceleration for prolonged time could still starve it.

Surge tank is still susceptible to starvation but you have a MUCH larger margin.

I would also install a fuel pressure sensor and log it real time. Take a look at my log from yesterday. Third gear pull. You can activate the boost and fuel pressure graphs and see the nice delta between the two of them. This is at 52psi base pressure.

https://datazap.me/u/mityaz/247-3rd-...0&data=3-17-21
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    I have two vibrant mini-mufflers in my system now PLUS the large magnaflow rear muffler and I don't think I would describe it as quiet. It's for sure a better tone then before though. Quiet is stock exhaust.
    Can you say whether the mini-mufflers do much? I have the largest magnaflow I could get on my truck with a cat and it is still just on the edge of being loud. I am considering adding an 8" mini-muffler to each side too.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    well, i dont have a terrible amount of experience building cars unlike some of the people here. Even Radium themselves say that their hanger is not a fix for fuel starvation issues. yes, it's slightly larger capacity compared to the factory, but is still needs to get fuel into it while sitting on the floor and just "letting" the fuel flow into it. I dont even think the Radium's hanger has the little "jet" on the outside of it to force the fuel into the hanger. I would argue that in that sense, the stock hanger is BETTER at picking up fuel from the bottom of the tank, but the Radium does have those one-way balls. So who knows. In my opinion, it's somewhat of an unnecessary upgrade.

Doing dyno pulls with that hanger is fine im sure, but having lateral acceleration for prolonged time could still starve it.

Surge tank is still susceptible to starvation but you have a MUCH larger margin.

I would also install a fuel pressure sensor and log it real time. Take a look at my log from yesterday. Third gear pull. You can activate the boost and fuel pressure graphs and see the nice delta between the two of them. This is at 52psi base pressure.

Your fuel pressure follows pretty well your boost. I also monitor the fuel pressure. It has a nice delta like yours.
    I wonder if my base pressure is low (43psi)
    Your point about the Radium unit is right. I think that the starvation issue is worse with it. Probably something has to do with the venturi/return.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your fuel pressure follows pretty well your boost. I also monitor the fuel pressure. It has a nice delta like yours.
    I wonder if my base pressure is low (43psi)
    Your point about the Radium unit is right. I think that the starvation issue is worse with it. Probably something has to do with the venturi/return.
    Your base pressure is right at 3bar - standard. i went to 52psi because i dont want to switch to ID2200s as they are terrible with low IPW driving/idle. My IDC was getting to 107-109% at 48psi base fuel pressure.
    Yes, I am talking about the Radium's unit possible inefficiency.
    But if your fuelpressure - boost delta is consistent, then why are you getting fueling issues?
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [/QUOTE]

why are you getting fueling issues?[/QUOTE]

That was my initial question...

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why are you getting fueling issues?[/QUOTE]

That was my initial question...[/QUOTE]

haha, well, if you are maintaining a nice fuel pressure - boost differential then your fueling set up is not your issue. If you had a lean condition based on your fueling (or cavitation) then you would be able to see a distinctive drop in fuel pressure from your logs.
    I am assuming your load calculation mechanism and fueling tables are set up properly
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember, this setup is on pump gas. MUCH less net fuel flow than what you're thinking. 50% less in fact. The Radium dual pump hanger actually does well down to 1/8" tank usually.

But, in general, I don't recommend doing multi-gear pulls below 1/3 tank ever on an SST without a surge tank. The Radium hanger setup improved over stock in this case, which was the goal, making it a more streetable setup.

I have a hard time recommending a surge tank for any frequently driven street car setup unless the car truly needs it. It's not safe IMO, especially on more volatile pump gasoline / petrol. Fuel lines running every which way, a unsecured, unprotected can of fuel at the rear of the car. Not a good idea.

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am assuming your load calculation mechanism and fueling tables are set up properly
    He's going to resume tuning / revisions with me soon so I'll make sure of it. This latest setup he did DIY based upon my tune.

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemuth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    Can you say whether the mini-mufflers do much? I have the largest magnaflow I could get on my truck with a cat and it is still just on the edge of being loud. I am considering adding an 8" mini-muffler to each side too.
    The car is for sure quieter than most full 3" big turbo cars, that is for sure. However it's still pretty "loud", however even the stock exhaust on the Evo 10 is "loud" to some people (non-car people)

The biggest thing I was after with adding the two vibrant mini-mufflers to the system was:

1. Getting rid of the honda-esque raspiness that comes with more equal length exhaust manifold (MAP cast v-band). *Mission accomplished* The car still sounds like a Evo 10, perhaps even deeper now.
    2. Try to get rid of some of the highway drone. *Mission accomplished* The highway drone at 65-70mph is MUCH less now.

However, one side effect is that now the car has much more bass to the exhaust tone on decel. Which actually isn't so bad but I've found myself doing less engine braking when driving around town because it starts to get old.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the highjack. Thank you Razor.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    He's going to resume tuning / revisions with me soon so I'll make sure of it. This latest setup he did DIY based upon my tune.
    I don't think that the starvation issue has to do with the tune.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^well then, do you believe in magic? hahaha

if fuel supply is there and the tune is there, then there is no conversation lol
    '11 GSR