User Tag List

Thread: BW EFR 9174 Oil Restrictor needed?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BW EFR 9174 Oil Restrictor needed?

Guy's with EFR turbos, do you use an oil restrictor at the oil supply side of your turbo? If yes, what ID do you use?
    I read that they come with a built in restrictor, but i couldn't find the size of that.

My 9174 car produces really bad black smoke at the back when at WOT. The exhaust manifold is oil free, so i suppose that the oil comes from the turbocharger.
    Last edited by athanasiosnoir; 12-16-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They come with a built in restrictor and you shouldn't put a smaller one.
    Black smoke is not oil but normally from to much fuel in the exhaust aka the car is running to rich.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that it is running relative lean at the range where the smoke appears, close to 12 AFR...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is that it is running relative lean at the range where the smoke appears, close to 12 AFR...
    @Black E do you know the internal diameter of the built in restrictor?

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is gasoline based fuel is going to smoke black on boost onset.
    Oil smoke would be blueish gray....
    No I don't know the restrictor size but I'm sure it can be found in the EFR tech guide

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull you intercooler piping and see for sure

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    The turbo can be burning oil and it not have oil in the IC pipes. Like mine :-/

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    how do you explain that?
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Razor is talking about his PTE turbo which are notorious for burning oil out the turbine.
    But that's not a issue with BW EFR's.

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @razorlab we've had the same issues on the MAP PTE turbo kits.

What I did is get a restricted banjo bolt from ATP for the block side, then I drilled it to 0.065" or 1/16" or so. This took care of the oil burning on the test car, which had a journal bearing turbo.
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    @razorlab we've had the same issues on the MAP PTE turbo kits.

What I did is get a restricted banjo bolt from ATP for the block side, then I drilled it to 0.065" or 1/16" or so. This took care of the oil burning on the test car, which had a journal bearing turbo.
    Yea I put a .035 restrictor in awhile back and it helped the smoking about 85%. It still smokes a bit though, i'm beginning to think the turbo is not draining well enough with the smaller than 10AN ID oil fitting MAP supplies or the turbo is bad. Either way it's going to be a pita to deal with. Turbo itself performs awesome, minus the oil burning.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    63777-TurboZentrum-oel-Zulauf-Adapter-BorgWarner-_2.jpg

"Oil Supply Fitting with 1,6mm Restrictor
    Necessary with high oil pressure
    The oil restrictor is necessary with all EFR Turbocharger at engines with more than app. 5 bar oil pressure at full engine load. This adapter is used when the turbocharger "presses" oil outside the bearing housing (f.e. oil gets under high load in the exhaust housing or compressor housing). Attention: please check it your return line has at least a Dash 10 line without constriction or kinks.
    The adapter has the speacial M12 thread at the Turbocharger side and a Dash 4 / 4 AN at the other side."

The above text and photo is from this link :

https://www.turbozentrum.de/en/unive...-63777/?Params[SearchParam]=

This shop is a German turbo service and turbo distribution shop.

I think that despite the built in restrictor, probably i need this too. My oil pressure at WOT is 7+ bar (100+ psi) falling to 6.8 bar (~98 psi) at 8000Rpm
    (Shimmed and smoothed oil pump)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking with the BW engineers at PRI last weekend, and they recommended this part from TurboZentrum if you were getting white smoke with the exhaust. That and doing everything possible to drain the turbo effectively, and get rid of nearly all crankcase pressure possible. Unfortunately that part is cheap, but the shipping is crazy expensive (~80 Euros). Does anyone have an alternative seller in the states? I've also considered just buying one of these for cheap, and machining it out the extra 0.1mm https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-AN-4-to-M...-/151835709516
    Last edited by aschmuck; 12-18-2017 at 05:25 AM.
    Abrin Schmucker

2013 Wicked White Evo X

Dyno Dynamics:419whp/340wtq
    Fathouse Fabrications Dynojet: 490whp/410wtq

2016 Gridlife Track Battle Championship - 1st place in Street Modified Class
    2016 One Lap of America - 2nd in Class & 13th overall

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black smoke is not a problem . @Black E already say about that.. You will see blueish gray smoke if oil goes to exhaust. One of the black smoke reason is valve overlap, kind of fuel, injection timing and much of air that comes to combustion chamber from 9174 )))) Biger turbocharger --> much black smoke..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Turbosmart has an oil pressure regulator. Would it be a good idea to control the oil pressure before entering the turbo? I saw at the BW tech manual that the acceptable pressure range for the oil entering the turbo is 1-4 bar at normal temp.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Prod...psi-Black.html

@Ouch.! the smoke is not that black. you can say it is gray. It is definately burned oil out there from the back when at WOT.
    Last edited by athanasiosnoir; 12-18-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasiosnoir View Post
    I saw Turbosmart has an oil pressure regulator. Would it be a good idea to control the oil pressure before entering the turbo? I saw at the BW tech manual that the acceptable pressure range for the oil entering the turbo is 1-4 bar at normal temp.

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/Prod...psi-Black.html

@Ouch.! the smoke is not that black. you can say it is gray. It is definately burned oil out there from the back when at WOT.
    Maybe you have big pistons clearence? I never saw burning oil in exhaust after install efr turbo's . If your oil preasure so high and oil goes from turbo to exhaust , you can see that smoke at WOT or when you go to high rpm's staying on the "parking" position.. I see grey oil's burning smoke at idle and when car is runing , when engine ventilation system was be not correct. Are you have PCV valve on the valve cover ?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If i had big piston clearence i would see oil at the exhaust manifold too, right? wich i don't. The stock PCV valves have been replaced by staight 10 an fittings (with modified valve cover) gone to a Driven Fab can.

1.jpg

20171205_153924_resized.jpg

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get some PCV back in there and your problem will go away.

Maybe your oil is over-filled. Go right between the two dots on the dipstick to see if turbo drainage improves.

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @UT_EvoX could you please send me a link of a pcv valve i should use. You are right about the oil level. It was a bit up from the top dot.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, i installed the 1.6mm restrictor that i posted above and the smoke at WOT is waaaaaaaaayyyy less.
    Using it for about 150 miles already with no side effects. Time will tell...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through the installation manual and looks like the restrictor is useless. In the drawing you can see that there is a built-in restrictor which actually regulates the flow. So I guess that the existing restrictor is just for regulating the oil capacity inside the chamber before the built-in restrictor.

Screenshot_2.jpg

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if input oil pressure to that -4 AN fitting on the turbo is still higher than expected, the built-in orifice still won't be sufficient.

The 4B11T makes a LOT more oil pressure on the turbo oil port than other cars. If you look at the stock feed line on the brazed joint to the banjo ends, you'll see it's restricted there even for the stock journal bearing turbo.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    But if input oil pressure to that -4 AN fitting on the turbo is still higher than expected, the built-in orifice still won't be sufficient.

The 4B11T makes a LOT more oil pressure on the turbo oil port than other cars. If you look at the stock feed line on the brazed joint to the banjo ends, you'll see it's restricted there even for the stock journal bearing turbo.
    So, TJ, you are saying that the Turbosmart Oil Pressure Regulator would be a right solution? Giving 40psi pressure to the turbo oil inlet no matter what.