User Tag List

Thread: Clutch shopping

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clutch shopping

Hello,

Im looking to buy clutch this coming black friday. I currently have brand new ACT 6 puck sprung disc (picked it up from local member who sold his car) I was planning to run 6 puck but i kinda feel its little overkill.

I have read CBRD's comment other day, they likes Exedy stage 1 clutch for stock block. It kinda made me interesting in Exedy. Now i have only ran ACT in three previous cars, so maybe try different brand arent too bad idea.

Should i sell 6 puck disc and go try Exedy? Or just buy ACT pressure plate and run 6 pucks?
    Also Can i install Monoloc in those two brands? Probably will resurface stock flywheel or ACT prolite (had streetlite, it was ok)

Im only 360 tq (max peak). I kinda want little agreesive than stock feels.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the one I got the last time.

Evo_Clutch.jpg

I needed something that would hold all the horsepowers.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemuth View Post
    Here is the one I got the last time.

Evo_Clutch.jpg

I needed something that would hold all the horsepowers.
    Let me guess... you drive Miata.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you DD your car, I suggest not going with the 6 puck paired with the Prolite flywheel... That's the combo I have and it's annoying to drive on the street, but it's doable.

If I were to do it over again, I'd go with the full disc instead of the 6 puck. However, my next clutch will likely be a twin or triple disc setup from OS Giken or Exedy.
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | ÷hlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a ACT 6 puck in my Evo 8 after an ACT full face and I hated every.single.day with that thing. I will never do a 6 puck ever again.

I put a full face organic ACT in my 10 and so far it's been great. I've used ACT clutches for almost twenty years now with zero issues other than hating the 6 puck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad i asked. I know i will be fine with full disc and prolite combo but was not too sure or maybe i know i will put myself in trouble with 6 puck with light flywheel. I will definitely avoid that combo. Wish i can try OS Giken, been reading great reviews since 2010. Their single clutch is too expensive.

Well Seems like noone really buys Exedy single (rated 470 tq) anymore. But ACT HDSS has great reviews, maybe thats my best bet.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by s2krunner View Post
    Glad i asked. I know i will be fine with full disc and prolite combo but was not too sure or maybe i know i will put myself in trouble with 6 puck with light flywheel. I will definitely avoid that combo. Wish i can try OS Giken, been reading great reviews since 2010. Their single clutch is too expensive.

Well Seems like noone really buys Exedy single (rated 470 tq) anymore. But ACT HDSS has great reviews, maybe thats my best bet.
    If you're going single, ACT HDSS all the way.
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | ÷hlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ACT HDSS ftw
    WTF 2.0 in Progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went Exedy Twin after the OS Giken went on backorder. Honestly, I'd do the Exedy again. Holding 500/400, smooth engagement (very very small bit of chatter), and really not very noisy. The little bit of "whistle" noise I get when cold isn't bad at all. Easy pedal,daily driven.
    Last edited by Dags; 11-01-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely Twin is something i will consider when build my block with more power.

Sounds like ACT HDSS is way to go! Thanks guys.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm now on a qm twin, and fuck, I need to learn to drive again. Had the exedy, and it drove nearly the same as stock. Stick with exedy/os giken unless power mandates more.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staywide8 View Post
    I'm now on a qm twin, and fuck, I need to learn to drive again. Had the exedy, and it drove nearly the same as stock. Stick with exedy/os giken unless power mandates more.
    QM here as well, next clutch Iíll be going exedy.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OS Giken triple here. very "dailyable" clutch. soft pedal
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, I was clutch shopping around this time last year and trying to decide between the ACT HDSS and 6 puck sprung. I emailed back and forth with TJ about which was better for a heavily modded but still stock block car and here was his response:

"the ACT 6-puck does take some getting used to. The HDSS however won't hold up to launching on that setup whatsoever, so it's kind of a toss up. If you've not driven one in person, it's hard to say whether it would be tolerable for you.

The HDSS would definitely match your driving needs the best, and as far as the stock block is concerned, it could hold up to the torque just fine. But it just won't tolerate launches like the 6-puck can. It's better for launching than stock, at least, but that's the trade off to maintain good driving manners."

I came from a Comp Stage 3 + lightweight flywheel, so I was used to a harsher engagement. I went with the 6 puck but only drove on it for 500 miles or so before my motor let go. It wasn't horrible to daily for those 500 miles.
    08 Evo X GSR

Chet Rickerman Tuned

EFR 8374 IWG, AMS TMP, Stock Block, FBO, Pump 93
    ??? Whp | ??? Wtq

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im only like 360 tq or less. I know i be fine with 6 puck & resurfaced stock flywheel but i think i will be in trouble with 6 puck & light flywheel lolol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    OS Giken triple here. very "dailyable" clutch. soft pedal
    Great to hear! I went with the Twin Plate for mine! Looks like I made a good choice! What master cylinder do you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exedy twin here and love it. Very little noise and very daily-able. Can't speak on longevity yet but don't expect it to live for a long time.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I daily drove a Exedy twin and ACT 6 puck with lighter flywheel. Exedy twin reminded me exactly of stock pedal feel with some added noises and shifted just awesome while the ACT required more leg effort (which you get used to quickly) and it was just so grabby off the line it was awesome. I loved how grabby it was and would totally street a puck clutch again. It gets old in stop and go tho.

For transmission and drive line life the clutch with the lowest required torque rating should always be considered.

Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When OS Giken clutches are available for the same price as Exedy, I don't know why anybody would bother with Exedy. Push type vs. pull is reason enough to go OS Giken.
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    When OS Giken clutches are available for the same price as Exedy, I don't know why anybody would bother with Exedy. Push type vs. pull is reason enough to go OS Giken.
    Should we email you for pricing, I’m about over this QM 8 Leg.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look what Finally Showed Up from Japan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HDG6 here.

Clutch pedal is very heavy and stop/go traffic is not fun but doable. On the track though I love it and it handles abuse like no other.

I love ACT, I had a 6 puck in my MR2 and put that car through 40 passes in a season and never gave me fuss.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long do the OS twin/triple last? Don't you also need to buy the conversion separately from the clutch? What does the clutch run now a days?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For an evo 8, but you will need to order the conversion kit with triple. I got both the conversion and triple for 1900 shipped to my door. Stock clutch feel, and holds 675 wtq that im putting it through. No complaints here.