User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 275 and beyond....

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

275 and beyond....

experts, do you find it worth it too go beyond?

extra mechanical grip worth it?? tight courses and a mix of big power friendly courses?

or no..... effort best spent else where on other parts.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    experts, do you find it worth it too go beyond?

extra mechanical grip worth it?? tight courses and a mix of big power friendly courses?

or no..... effort best spent else where on other parts.
    Tires matter more than almost anything on a track or autocross car. Weight is still above that, but sometimes weight "is what it is". An EVO X is never going to be a "lightweight"...

But tires? You can NEVER have too much tire.

On our EVO X we ran an 18x10.5" Enkei and a 275/35/18. This was a huge improvement over a 255 on the stock 8's.

Going to the same track with the 255mm tires (above) and 275 on the wider wheels (below) was worth 2-3 seconds. I've done this test on many cars over the years...

Wider tires become even more crucial when you have added as much power as you have.

Please excuse my "non-EVO tangent" but a 3600 pound car is a 3600 pound car. We tested tires in many widths on our 2011 Mustang for 5 seasons of competition.

Started with 255, then 265, then 275, then 295, 305, 315, 335 and finally 345mm tires. The car got faster and faster every time the tires got wider. We only stopped adding width when we ran out of sizes in the Hoosier catalog!

It even worked in autocross. The 335F/345R Hoosier A7 tires that we used for NASA Time Trial were good enough to set TTOF/Top PAX at competitive SCCA autocrosses, too.

Bigger is better. Always.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Terry!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet thanks for the info! I have been on 275 for about a year and half now and with some much need driver skill sharpening my times have vastly improved alot(especially this season alone)
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fair View Post
    . An EVO X is never going to be a "lightweight"...
    Speak for yourself, lol

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw your account register the other day and was wondering what you guys had in store for us. Welcome to the forum!

2012 EvoX MR - 11.289 @ 123.24mph
    2015 Scion FR-S - D-Street in SCCA Solo II
    Info/Pics: Instagram / Build Thread
    Sponsors: DSGPerformance
    Founder: Evil Apex Racing

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Fair welcome to Boosted!

So what's the widest wheel/tire combo we can go on our stock-body Xs if we want to avoid rubbing and keep fender liners? I figured 18x10.5 with a 275/35 was pretty much the ideal limit.

Back when I was only lowered on Swift Spec-R springs I ran a used set of 285/30 AD08s without any rubbing issues, but the car's top speed dropped a bit due to the smaller tire circumference so I switched to a 265/35. I'm already rubbing in a few spots with my current setup (18x9.5+15 RPF1s). Alignment spec is -3F, -2.75R, 0 toe and roughly a 1.5-2" drop from stock ride height.
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are rubbing because of that aggressive offset. I have plenty of room with my 18x10.5 +30 275/35/18 NT01 setup.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    You are rubbing because of that aggressive offset. I have plenty of room with my 18x10.5 +30 275/35/18 NT01 setup.
    I'm rubbing on 18x10, +30 on 275/35/18 in the back, -2.0R camber.

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roen View Post
    You need to roll your fenders.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YAY Terry is here! More Jankystick!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe... thanks guys, just dipping my toes into the water here and figured I'd toss in some tech for the tire question from the OP. If the admins and mods don't mind, we might bring some of our build threads here. Like our Focus RS development thread. This car has been competing regularly on the Optima circuit and we've done a lot of track testing to make this piggy turn.

There are some Subaru projects that I can share to some degree. We haven't done a ton of EVO stuff lately but we're waiting for the right customer to let us try some new ideas. We do have a lot of non-boosted build projects that are well chronicled, though.

As for EVO max tire width, I've seen 285mms under stock EVO X fenders many times using the same Enkei 18x10.5" wheels we used.

I suspect with what we know now we'd manage to squeeze in a little more. We regularly stock 315mm tires under stock 2005-14 and 2015-up Mustang fenders, front and rear.

We've sold 18x12" wheels to an EVO X racer who ran 335s square using a widebody kit. I'll see if he ever sent us pictures.
    Last edited by Fair; 07-25-2017 at 06:30 AM.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man I can't count how many times I've pointed to your build/R&D thread on the Focus RS anytime it came up. I'm still baffled by it's shortcomings

hell that reminds me, I even brought up your first impressions here:

https://boostedforums.net/showthread...Focus-RS/page4

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I do, but just illustrating the limit on unmolested rear fenders.

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Terry mentions stock fenders, he doesn't mean NOT rolling them, he means non-widebody aftermarket fenders.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes please bring your build threads here. We'd love to have them!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Fair do you think it's worth going with 11" wheels and fitting 315's for TT1?

Vehicle weight, 3450 w/ driver. Power about 420 WHP peak. SST car.

Option A: 9.5" wheels - Toyo RR 275's for casual lapping, Hoosier A7/R7 in 275 for setting times. Advantage: we currently fit said tires on the Ralliart with VF fenders up front and no body mods in the rear. Minimal rubbing.
    Option B: 11" wheels - Toyo RR 275's for casual lapping, Hoosier R7 in 315 for settings times. Advantage: grip, but how much more? Disadvantage: cutting fender lips in rear and molding custom fender flares. Should fit front OK if VF fender lips are trimmed a bit.

PFA

350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Terry mentions stock fenders, he doesn't mean NOT rolling them, he means non-widebody aftermarket fenders.
    I know, I'm just putting it out there for others who don't want to touch their fenders whatsoever.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    @Fair do you think it's worth going with 11" wheels and fitting 315's for TT1?

Vehicle weight, 3450 w/ driver. Power about 420 WHP peak. SST car.

Option A: 9.5" wheels - Toyo RR 275's for casual lapping, Hoosier A7/R7 in 275 for setting times. Advantage: we currently fit said tires on the Ralliart with VF fenders up front and no body mods in the rear. Minimal rubbing.
    Option B: 11" wheels - Toyo RR 275's for casual lapping, Hoosier R7 in 315 for settings times. Advantage: grip, but how much more? Disadvantage: cutting fender lips in rear and molding custom fender flares. Should fit front OK if VF fender lips are trimmed a bit.
    Yes, it is VERY much worthwhile to go to 315mm square - if you want to drop lap times. It is worth more than you think! Every single time we jumped up in tire size our TT3 Mustang got faster. From 2014 to 2015 when we went from 315 to 335F/345R we dropped 2-3 seconds a lap on almost every track. The NASA lap records we had set in this car the year before just kept falling. This car had a bone stock engine and we ran it at 3802 pounds (to maximize the "bonus" factors for the class) and at the class limit power-to-weight. The bigger tires made it put power down better but more importantly generated more cornering power. 1.4g lateral was pretty common in this pig on non-aero corners, higher with downforce. It was eye opening!

I hate to say it but the autocross community is usually ahead of the curve when it comes to big wheel fitments. They KNOW that the "tire-to-weight" ratio is more important than anything. Anything! That's where I figured this stuff out a decade earlier (autocross) before trying the "big tire" thing on track in the mid 2000s. If you look at the current crop of SCCA Street Modo EVOs and Subies they are ALL 315mm or even 335mm square. And they are fast AF!

One of my customers/friends let me co-drive his C5 Corvette at the 2016 Solo Nationals. We had been running 18x11F/R but switched to an 18x12 rear with 335s and it was quicker than ever. We foght some rainy conditions but in the dry the big tires were FAST. The rear fenders have since been flared to clear the 335s. It has a turd motor (only 425 whp) and I'm trying to convince him to let my engine shop (Horsepower-Research) build him a 442" or 468" LS engine. MOAR!

While at the 2016 Solo I pictures of cars that I felt were proof that the entire field was "going wide"... bigger wheels, tires, wings, splitters. MOAR!!!

Admittedly some folks had not yet found the nerve to break out the sawsall and flare a car right, but the wider tires still proved FASTER.

I lost track of how many FP and SM rallye cars had made the jump to 315/335 tires.

There were.... a lot.

And what I've found that works well in a parking lot for tires... works even better on a road course. Yea yea, "the internet" says you won't "get enough heat into the tires" to work. These guys are doing it in a 30-60 second solo run!

If they can show improvements with a 335mm tire on a rallye car in an autocross run, a Time Trial racer can DAMN sure get enough heat into them by lap 2! And trust me - it works. I've set too many lap records using this trick to think otherwise.

Cheers,
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good lord that black Subaru is a pile.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the input, @Fair ! I don't think I'm ready to chop my fenders up yet, so I'll have to settle for a 275/35 or 285/30 for now.

LOL that custom aero work, though...
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea it wasn't pretty, but they don't hand out car show trophies at the SCCA Nationals. They "did what they had to do" to make those meats fit.

For autocross aero drag isn't a big deal. For road course use its a MUCH bigger deal and we go to great lengths to keep a "spinning tire out of the air stream", at least the leading edge of the tire.
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see a lot of messed up cars at autocross that are still faster than everyone else out there. SM and above it's far more common too. SM is known for duct taping everything back together.
    @Fair if you guys are at Nationals this year I'll have to come find you guys to chat; or you can come find me in timing on Tuesday/Wednesday (timing captain).

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Fair thank you so much for your input!

315's or 335's it is muhahahaha

I'll show you all the results when we get there. Poor Ralliart.
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So.... speaking of wider tires.

Has anybody used NT01's in 305/35/18 or 315/30/18?

What did it take to fit on a 10? I have NT01 in 275/35/18 (25.55 dia) currently on my Evo 10 and have room to grow for sure.

The 305/35/18 seems like it might be too tall (26.42 dia) but the 315 (25.35 dia) might be too much tire for 18x10.5