User Tag List

Thread: Sound Dampening Enhancements - MR Touring vs Base vs GSR

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound Dampening Enhancements - MR Touring vs Base vs GSR

I've been looking for a MR on and off for a few years and noticed that locally the last remaining MRs are advertised at huge discounts. Since this is pretty much the last chance to purchase a new MR I had a few questions about the sound deadening in the MR models.

A few years ago, if memory serves I remember the MRs had optional Premium and Touring packages, both of which advertised additional sound deadening.

Trim questions:

1. Was there an actual different in sound deadening between the Premium vs Touring?
    2. I know the base MR now comes standard with the Premium package and the Touring package remains optional. I tried doing multiple searches, but does anyone know exactly what kind of additional sound deadening they actually add?

General questions:

1. For those that have driven GSR, base MR and Touring MR models, is there a noticeable different in sound levels?

I know many will say that if I'm concerned with noise, the EVO is probably a very poor choice and I realize this, but I've owned a couple Miatas and a S2000, so noise is something I can deal with. The MR will be a DD and I'm not expecting something whisper quiet, though I'd prefer something that won't wear me out after an hour or two.
    Last edited by Lord09; 02-27-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound Dampening Enhancements - MR Touring vs Base vs GSR

At stock levels you won't notice a difference. Tuned it will depend on your exhaust chosen magnitudes more than the amount of stock sound deadening. If you are worried about sound deadening I recommend some searches on audio forums and come up with a multi layer approach to managing the sound. Aka deadening, MLV, spray foam et al. If one of the MRs has different options that you'd prefer I would go with that. Or price! Don't let the stock sound deadening persuade you one way or another

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imo, as lew-e said, the bigger problem is that most aftermarket exhausts for the Evo X don't use quality mufflers/resonators. The sound difference from a generic Vibrant resonator to an invidia N1, to now a Magnaflow (MAP single exit) was very noticeable

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm actually planning on keeping the car stock!

I've read up on various sound deadening techniques, including the use of MLV and various other dampeners/barriers and its something I'm prepared to do. While the effort looks enormous, I think it'd be a interesting project at least.

Of course if the MR or MR-T are "quiet" enough, I much rather avoid the hassle.

I've spent quite a bit of time doing searches on the sound deadening used/differences in the MR and it just seems this information isn't available. I'm a bit shocked, so I guess the next best fun thing to do is to test drive them and see.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord09 View Post
    I'm actually planning on keeping the car stock!

I've read up on various sound deadening techniques, including the use of MLV and various other dampeners/barriers and its something I'm prepared to do. While the effort looks enormous, I think it'd be a interesting project at least.

Of course if the MR or MR-T are "quiet" enough, I much rather avoid the hassle.

I've spent quite a bit of time doing searches on the sound deadening used/differences in the MR and it just seems this information isn't available. I'm a bit shocked, so I guess the next best fun thing to do is to test drive them and see.
    The info isn't around because it's an evo (lol) and I really doubt there is much of a difference between any of the variants. Aftermarket deadening will make way more difference than the stock stuff they lay here and there. And you say you'll keep it stock... that never happens! You'll start small, and in a couple years we'll read about your full engine build

Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2014 SSS GSR which comes with the same extra "sound deadening". It's basically a GSR with the MR touring package (Leather, sunroof, rockford, cubby panels, etc)

I notice no difference really between my Evo and others and I've been in hundreds at this point.

The Evo is not a quiet car. Between my Evo 8 and my Evo 10, I had a Golf R. When I bought the Evo 10 I thought something was wrong with it, I forgot how much drivetrain noise, etc the Evo has.

That said, you get used to it.
    Last edited by razorlab; 02-28-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks razorlab, seems to confirm everything I've read that the car is just plain loud.

At least it solves the MR vs MR-T debate, I don't care for the plain boring leather seats and rather avoid the weight penalty of the sunroof.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI I'm going to move this into the audio section.

2012 EvoX MR - 11.289 @ 123.24mph
    2015 Scion FR-S - D-Street in SCCA Solo II
    Info/Pics: Instagram / Build Thread
    Sponsors: DSGPerformance
    Founder: Evil Apex Racing

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, when I traded my 2014 in without the sound deading for my 2015 final edition with the sound deadening I had to bring my wife with me to the dealer. On the drive home she said "this car is way quieter than your other one ever was."

I will say going thru a car wash is way quieter with the steel roof and sunroof vs the aluminum roof.

There is additional sound deadening in the rear wheel wells and more urethane/undercoating material on the bottom of the car. I was also told there is more sound deadening in the doors, but this may have been a change to all models over the years the evo was made rather then to do with the sound deadening option.
    Johnny "If it's not broken I haven't driven it" O
    2015 Titanium Grey Final Edition CA0100 - GARAGE QUEEN
    2014 Phantom Black GSR w/Handling - SOLD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info! Just for curiosity's sake, did you personally notice the difference in the additional rear wheel well and urethane/undercoating materials?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I went from a 2013 base evo to the sss 2014 I didn't notice much of a difference at all. Maybe it takes a woman's ear to notice? lol

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord09 View Post
    Thanks for the info! Just for curiosity's sake, did you personally notice the difference in the additional rear wheel well and urethane/undercoating materials?
    I think it is quieter. Not sure if it is mainly the steel roof or the undercoating. The rear wheel well liners are just thin flimsy plastic with a fabric like texture, not sure how much they really do but they must absorb some tire noise.

After you put an exhaust on and gut everything from the trunk and what not I don't think it will matter tho..
    Johnny "If it's not broken I haven't driven it" O
    2015 Titanium Grey Final Edition CA0100 - GARAGE QUEEN
    2014 Phantom Black GSR w/Handling - SOLD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a data point.

I went to South Coast Mitsubishi the other day and noticed they had a normal and touring packaged equipped 2015 MR side by side. Aside from the obvious, the only thing I could see different from a sound dampening perspective were the rear wheel wells as mentioned earlier. It appears the Touring equipped MRs had an additional layer of sound dampening material held on by a stud and nut. Curiously, the base model lacked the stud, so retrofit doesn't seem possible.

Regardless, it didn't seem like it'd make a huge difference.
    Last edited by Lord09; 04-12-2017 at 01:42 AM.