Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: danfoley133's supposed to be a family car build

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

danfoley133's supposed to be a family car build

Hi all,
    I figured after five years of owning my evo and thousands of dollars spent modifying it I would fill anyone who cares in on what it was, is and will end up being.

For starters it was purchased new with the intent of being a fun family car. I have owned mostly fc3s turbo's and a 350z and as you may know they dont work well for children. I have been involved with autox and timetrials for going on 15 years now. It was never intended to race the evo. I actually installed a big multi amp stereo to keep it from the track.

It got the usual bolt ons. ams intercooler, piping, intake, testpipe and exhaust. As well as a map downpipe, ohlins coilovers and volk wheels. It was tuned to 344whp and 372wtq on a mustang dyno and all was well in the world... for the first year and a half.

Then it all went bad! I decided I missed racing and the people I raced with and both my rx7 and 350z were in various stages of completely dissassembled so i decided to buy a few more parts for the evo and give it a go.
    I picked up a map ef2.5 turbo, some id1000 injectors and got it tuned on pump gas. Made about 380whp on a conservative tune. I also put stiffer springs on the ohlins, added whiteline sway bars and their rck kit. Went with the perrin psrs offset bushings to add some caster. I made a splitter out of plywood and picked up an aeromotions static wing. Ended up with 285 hoosiers on enkei nto3+m wheels.

I was rusty after not having autocrossed in years and never in an awd car before. By the middle of the year things were going good and I was competing for top pax and ftd at every event. Finished the season second in class and driver of the year points.

After having a decent year I decided there was no reason to leave "well enough" alone.
    I upgraded to JRZ RS pro double adjustible shocks with Vorshlag camber plates. It also seemed like a good time to send the t-case and trans to shepracing to be upgraded for the future abuse. I installed an Exedy twin plate clutch to handle all the launches.
    After spending that much on the drivetrain I had little left for the motor so I tossed in GSC S1 cams and added a Radium fuel rail and surgetank. Swapped out the ID1000's for ID1300's and got tuned on E85. This time making a little over 400whp. Again a little conservative.
    The splitter got replaced with an alumilite version and taller risers were installed on the wing.
    At this point I decided i was going to give hillclimbs a try and ordered an autopower roll bar and the other safey equipment required. Also got some Recaro spg seats. Picked up a used set of 18X10 enkei RP03 wheels and tossed some 275 hoosiers on them. Also removed the stupid damn stereo. That was a waste of money that stopped me from nothing.

Partway through the year i finally had the cash to pick up some 315/30/18 hoosiers.

Autoxing was going well but I brought a knife to a gunfight at the hills. 400whp doesn't cut it there but I was having fun and learning the hills.
    Halfway through the season I decided to have it retuned to try to get some more out of it. I guess at that point the valves had already had enough of the mild cam and stock springs. Power was down and a leakdown test confirmed the valves were bent. I brought it home and began taking it apart. I finished the autox season in other peoples cars. Still managed to win my class though.

I had MAP build the motor. Ended up sleeving it with 10.5\1 pistons and boring to a 2.2. Did billet chain guides and added on a MAP oil pan and ATI super damper

With a power goal of around 500whp I decided on an ets topmount setup with a Garrett GTX3071. Since I cant leave anything alone I replaced every suspension arm on the car with Racefab arms. I also did everthing I could to lose weight off of the car. Removed all of the airbags, stereo, gutted the hood and trimmed everything I could on the cheap.

Everything was looking for being more competitive at the hills... until I went to get tuned.
    The car ran fine but anytime we tried to turn it up it would knock real bad. We figured it was an exhaust flow issue and the whole exhaust was new so we assumed the hotside on the turbo was the problem and I ordered a new one. Couple weeks later we tried again but got the same results. Ended up at a dissapointing 385whp! The season was starting so I decided to run it how it was and prepare to get crushed. The car was fine at autox as the power level was similar to the previous years.
    I went to the first time trial of the year at the Jefferson Circuit at Summit Point. I made it one lap and one of the shifter bushings on the transmission fell out. As I was coming off of the track there was a load bang and the exhaust got loud. I expected to see a wastegate fell off but instead found a large hole in the aluminum testpipe. That lead mr to find the packing of the muffler jammed in the tailpipe. The exhaust at that point had less than 30 miles on it. Drove over an hour to pick up a testpipe. Installed it and made a shifter busshing out of washers I found in my truck and finished the weekend. The good thing was I found the exhaust flow issue!
    My tuner had shut down his shop in buffalo and moved to texas to take a position with Cobb tuning. I guess they made him a good offer. Haha. I took the car to TPG tuning which is close to me so that worked out well. They were able to crank it up to 495whp on their mustang dyno. That was all the compressor wheel had.
    After the retune I was able to set the class record at 3 of the five remaining events with the PAhillclimb group and be the fastest doorslammer at all 5.

After crossing the finish line at one of the hillclimbs at 140mph [25mph road] I decided it was time for a full roll cage.

Along with doing the cage I am waiting on my Racefab subframes and northsouth bar to arrive. I am also Installing a Fuel safe Flex Fuel cell with a Radium FCST with 3 walbro 450's [one of them is the lift pump]. I will be upgrading to a -8 feed line. Thanks to TJ @ wtf I already have my new Gen2 gtx3076. I am also installing an evo 8 rear diff that is currently being built by TRE alon with Driveshaft Shop axles and carbon driveshaft. Also still cutting weight anywhere I can and plan on upgrading the splitter to a new design. I have had Moore Performance replace all of the vacuum and water ports with AN fitting so I can redo all of my wastegate and vacuum lines out of a more durable AN hose. I might run out of money before but I am also hoping to get wider wheels and a new containment racing seat. Have to see how the next couple months go. I have videos on my facebook and instagram.
    Last edited by Danfoley133; 02-20-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love this thread.

Beautiful work on the car! And great shots btw.
    RA - Built head - Built SST - ID1000cc - GTX3576R - GSC S2 cams - GSC beehives /Ti retainers - ARP head studs - AMS fuel rail - AMS Widemouth - TurboXS exhaust - DrivenFab oil catch can - MAP oil pan/cast manifold - AEM wideband - COBB 3 port EBCS - Tial QRJ - Sakura 3.5 intake - Kozmic Walbro 450 fuel pump - Depo Racing fmic/licp - TS engine/exhaust mounts - Cusco bar - D2 RS coil - Megan Racing control arms/toe - Whiteline sway bars - Brembo 6 piston

Tuned by TJ

2013 Evo MR - stockish

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see more local Pittsburgh x guys. Especially your car since it is one of the more interesting X's in our area. We can post up a few pics of E85 test runs and you'll feel right at home, lol.
    Last edited by Nate; 02-20-2017 at 06:38 PM.
    2010 GG Evo X

Power:
    AMS Down-pipe, MAP Resonated TP, UR Dual Exhaust, ETS Intake, Grimspeed 3 Port, Synapse DV, AMS Inter-cooler, MAP UICP and
    Tuned by Chet using EcuFlash
    Interior:
    AEM Boost and Wideband Gauges
    Suspension & Handling:
    Ohlin R&T Coilovers w/ 10k/10k springs

Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, love build threads like this!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! You've pretty much done everything I've been trying to do... glad to see you made a comeback to racing and nice work with the car! Looking forward to more updates!
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Öhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words. I am always open to suggestions and questions. I will be updating this as things progress.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread! It's fun to read about people taking these cars to their limits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another X running hill climbs, yes! One of the most terrifying yet satisfying racing I have ever done. Beautiful car, and stay safe. Keep updating of course please.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome build, love what you have done. I have a few questions.

1. How did you get the 315's to fit? How much improvement did you see vs the 275's?
    2. What weight were you at before the cage? How much weight do you expect the cage to add?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamEvo View Post
    Awesome build, love what you have done. I have a few questions.

1. How did you get the 315's to fit? How much improvement did you see vs the 275's?
    2. What weight were you at before the cage? How much weight do you expect the cage to add?
    To fit the 315's on the rear I trimmed the bumper tab and the inside edge of the bumper. Rolled the quarter panel and pulled it out some. The tire slightly rubs the lower arm when the tire is deflected but just enough to polish it.
    The front bumper has been trimmed and the tab removed with a quick release installed. The aluminum fenders don't roll very well so I removed the front and rear lower mount bolts for the fender, pulled the fender out to where I wanted it and redrilled the holes. It isn't even noticable. Also had to trim and heat mold the fender liner. If someone leans on it the tire will rub some until a grab it and pull it back out by hand.
    Autoxing it is night and day difference between the 275's and 315's. Almost an extra 2 inches of tire so the grip is outstanding. On track and at the hills it's not quite as much of an advantage but it is worth probably a second or two on a minute long hill. It will make more of a difference as I start to really push the car to the limit.

I was at 3250 lbs but had an autopower roll bar installed. They are heavy (about 100 lbs). The full cage will only add about 30-35 but I shaving alot of other weight. I'm hoping to be down around 3100 lbs. It's tough because the class I'm in doesn't allow me to remove all of the interior and alot of the other things that remove weight.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm amazed you were able to fit 315s on the stock body... I'm assuming you have the 18x10.5+30 NT03-M wheels, right? Do you need spacers with them at all?

SM does kind of suck when it comes to weight savings and aero... There's a lot I want to do for TT/TA, but anything beyond SM in autocross isn't very suitable for an Evo X (even SM is super competitive for me). I didn't realize we could swap out our suspension arms, though... those Racefab arms look awesome!
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Öhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flawlessninja View Post
    I'm amazed you were able to fit 315s on the stock body... I'm assuming you have the 18x10.5+30 NT03-M wheels, right? Do you need spacers with them at all?

SM does kind of suck when it comes to weight savings and aero... There's a lot I want to do for TT/TA, but anything beyond SM in autocross isn't very suitable for an Evo X (even SM is super competitive for me). I didn't realize we could swap out our suspension arms, though... those Racefab arms look awesome!
    I have a 15mm spacer in the front with the nto3's. The 315's fit easier than I thought. 315's really should be on 11½-12" wheels. A little to much deflection on 10.5.
    National autox the X is to heavy to keep up with the evo 8's. Stupid rules.
    Have to leave the suspension pickup points at stock locations but from there out is fair game. Custom arms, Billet uprights, and basically anything else you can come up with. Hoping to do billet uprights front and rear next year. Lots of money there though.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danfoley133 View Post

I have a 15mm spacer in the front with the nto3's. The 315's fit easier than I thought. 315's really should be on 11½-12" wheels. A little to much deflection on 10.5.
    Have to leave the suspension pickup points at stock locations but from there out is fair game. Custom arms, Billet uprights, and basically anything else you can come up with. Hoping to do billet uprights front and rear next year. Lots of money there though.
    Yeah, I always figured a 295 would be the widest I'd use on 10.5" wheels, and even that seems a little big. 315 seems HUGE. Now that I run more track days than autox days, I'll most likely stick with my plan of running 275/35s since they're a bit taller than 285/30 and 295/30 and have less deflection. Being a fellow hillclimber would you agree with that logic, or do you think the increase in lateral grip from a wider tire is still more important for those types of events?

Good to hear about the suspension mods... I guess I'll have to add them to the list eventually... lol
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    SM #11
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danfoley133 View Post

Yeah, I always figured a 295 would be the widest I'd use on 10.5" wheels, and even that seems a little big. 315 seems HUGE. Now that I run more track days than autox days, I'll most likely stick with my plan of running 275/35s since they're a bit taller than 285/30 and 295/30 and have less deflection. Being a fellow hillclimber would you agree with that logic, or do you think the increase in lateral grip from a wider tire is still more important for those types of events?

Good to hear about the suspension mods... I guess I'll have to add them to the list eventually... lol
    Hoosier recommends 11-12 for the 315. A half inch small isn't the end of the world.
    The most noticeable difference in the wider tires at the hills is on the launch and putting power down coming out of corners. There is an obvious increase in lateral grip. On track it's not as noticeable as the pavement provides better grip and there are less low speed corners. That being said since I went to the 315's I have found no reason to use the 275's. 275 Hoosiers make for a horrible street tire but that what mine ended up being used for.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great build. Love the action shots!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great build! What are you thoughts on the Racefab parts? Worth it? Do they shed some weight?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micjester View Post
    Great build! What are you thoughts on the Racefab parts? Worth it? Do they shed some weight?
    The Racefab arms shed a few pounds overall. If you just want weight savings there are more cost effective places to start. The main reason I bought them was to be able to adjust everything and get rid of rubber mounts. Having adjustable roll center correction and bumpsteer is huge to me. I have been very happy with them so far and am looking forward to swapping them into the new subframes I have on the way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm relieved to say that even with over 400 launches and quite a bit of other abuse the exedy twin disc clutch is still holding strong.
    IMG_20170226_213848994.jpg
    Last edited by Danfoley133; 02-28-2017 at 05:02 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is badass. Now this is how you go about building a car.
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuel cell arrived today. It might be too pretty to install it.
    IMG_20170304_145934064.jpg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally wrapping up the "chassis mount" uprights for the wing.
    IMG_20170407_193959543.jpg
    IMG_20170407_193948704.jpg

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what size cell is that?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zabes View Post
    what size cell is that?
    10 gallon
    IMG_20170407_224319977.jpg
    Working on the mounting for it now.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need moar!
    Follow my build here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome man, love seeing someone actually race their X competitively.