User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Android Head Unit Released

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone verify which wireless spec it supports?

The guy we all owe money to
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ordered.. hope it's good..

And if it's alright I might setup my livetuner for android...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tephra View Post
    Ordered.. hope it's good..

And if it's alright I might setup my livetuner for android...
    This would be amazing!
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone can check the Bluetooth protocol version? Hopefully, 4.0+? Cheers.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not here.. yet..

But, is anyone across any XDA mods for this device? I don't really wanna leave the stock software installed.. worried about hacks/etc...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not here.. yet..

But, is anyone across any XDA mods for this device? I don't really wanna leave the stock software installed.. worried about hacks/etc...
    I have the MTCB model and installed a "Malaysk" ROM on it. It works great. https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=3246370

He has ROMs for MTCD devices as well but I haven't tested them and I think they lack features from the MTCB models. https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...evice-t3385309

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got mine in..
    1. The air vents are very tight.. probably need more trimming.
    2. No brackets to hold the unit in.. but I guess it's pretty lightweight so probably won't come flying out...
    3. Sound appears to be quite good, but I'm sick ATM.. so will do a proper test later
    4. Still hesitant to log in to google / whatever with malware possibility.
    5. screen and fit are pretty good.
    6. UI seems quite snappy, but I think extra ram should have been a no brainer.
    7. Wifi seems a bit retarded.. normally my laptop can 'just' use it in garage.. but the HU can't even see my SSID...

Only spent about 10 mins with it so far.. but no major complaints... Yet :P

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Android Head Unit Released

I am using the 2008-2013 Rockford Fosgate with non-navigation wiring harness but am adding an aftermarket backup camera. Which wire do I tap into for it?

The only non-RCA cables from this harness that are not already utilized and are labeled are Ground and Key2.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got mine in..
    1. The air vents are very tight.. probably need more trimming.
    2. No brackets to hold the unit in.. but I guess it's pretty lightweight so probably won't come flying out...
    3. Sound appears to be quite good, but I'm sick ATM.. so will do a proper test later
    5. screen and fit are pretty good.
    6. UI seems quite snappy, but I think extra ram should have been a no brainer.
    7. Wifi seems a bit retarded.. normally my laptop can 'just' use it in garage.. but the HU can't even see my SSID...

Only spent about 10 mins with it so far.. but no major complaints... Yet :P
    ref point 4 - is there a solution other than the nuclear option of reflashing the unit from scratch..
    Also, what did they charge you shipping to Aus?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Got mine in..
    ref point 4 - is there a solution other than the nuclear option of reflashing the unit from scratch..
    Also, what did they charge you shipping to Aus?
    i just made a new google account... short term to get apps and stuff installed... if i get to a point where i wanna bring my movies/email/music in, then ill do some more investigations...

dunno about shipping, whole unit was $376 USD delivered... and it shipped quick as F!

im pretty happy atm... but i havn't found a 3g dongle that works... yet...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tephra - where did you order it from mate?

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Thanks Tephra - where did you order it from mate?
    https://boostedforums.net/showthread...ll=1#post43365

but whatever on aliexpress, and use the mobile app (you get like 14% off)
    Last edited by tephra; 03-12-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible to get one of these in windows?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I installed mine this afternoon and should wrap up installing the rest of the custom stereo next weekend. I had bought the EliteEvolved model produced by Asaita.

I found the touchscreen controls to be slow. I need to see if I can increase the sensitivity. WiFi connected no problem and sound quality has been good. Video playback quality was smooth. Steering wheel controls were easy enough to connect but I wasn't sure which icon to connect to the Touch-to-Talk control button. Not sure if that same functionality exists. I loved being able to voice control my ipod.
    Last edited by Madmartigan; 03-13-2017 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall, I really like the new head unit. Sound quality is much better. Movies and streaming video look nice. The fitment on mine was really nice.

I was able to program all the steering wheel controls except the Push To Talk button. I added a 500gb hard drive to one of the 3 usb ports and secured it next to the cabin filter behind the glove box. Loaded a couple thousand songs on it and a few 1080p mp4 movies.

These are my biggest gripes and I would love some input if anyone has some tips.
    1) I cannot get the radio stations that I preset to stay saved after I power off the Evo. It seems to be dependent on which app you are in when you turn it off?
    2) Any recommendations for music player apps as the default will play my hdd music but there is no organization to it. I can't sort or scroll by artist/song/genre at all. It's all just one giant list.
    3) Google Maps takes FOREVER to load.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
    2) Any recommendations for music player apps as the default will play my hdd music but there is no organization to it. I can't sort or scroll by artist/song/genre at all. It's all just one giant list.
    I really like Poweramp

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShomesomeSho View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
    I really like Poweramp
    Good call. I just started using that with the green fire skin. Liking it a lot so far!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radio presets have anything to do with this? http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/blog/the-new-radios-can-not-save-settings/

The head unit didn't come with any instructions of course, so I didn't use the only "external" wire available. It was labeled as "Key2".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres an update I can provide to fix the radio issue.

Edit-heres the link. Place both files on your sd card, go into about system, and apply both update.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...zZUUWlHT19ZRlU
    Last edited by staywide8; 03-14-2017 at 05:58 AM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staywide8 View Post
    Theres an update I can provide to fix the radio issue.

Edit-heres the link. Place both files on your sd card, go into about system, and apply both update.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...zZUUWlHT19ZRlU
    What do these do? Do you have a link or documentation as to where you got them from?
    Last edited by Madmartigan; 03-14-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recieved it from Mike, owner of elite evolved, where I bought the headunit. It performs an update, just like an Android phone. Fixes a bunch of things, but most notably fixes the headunit from turning off when you turn key off. It merely goes into hibernation.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by staywide8 View Post
    I recieved it from Mike, owner of elite evolved, where I bought the headunit. It performs an update, just like an Android phone. Fixes a bunch of things, but most notably fixes the headunit from turning off when you turn key off. It merely goes into hibernation.
    Excellent thanks!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That update worked nicely.

Here is a couple of instructions for future users:

Installation:
    1) Extend the ground wire about 12"
    2) No other wiring is needed other than the Rockford Fosgate adapter. Select 2008 - 2013 or 2014 - 2015.
    3) Connect the provided cables, radio antenna, gps antenna, mic.
    4) I kept USB1 available through the glove box as loose. I connected USB3 to an external hard drive and mounted it next to the cabin filter behind the glovebox.
    5) Only clip the small protruding black plastic tab from the inner bottom corner from each side of vents.
    6) Transfer the hazard light button panel from the oem unit to the Android unit.
    7) Transfer the white clips from the back of the oem unit to the Android head unit.

Software:
    1) An 8GB micro SD card was provided with the unit. It states that it is specifically formatted for this device but will plug into other tablets for file transfer just fine.
    2) The head unit will detect the system update file and will automatically prompt you to install. It also has a check box to format the device. This will wipe out the head unit to factory settings. Do not use it. Also, even after performing the system update, it will continue to prompt you to update. Keep saying no until you are finished.
    3) I recommend updating the MCU Update first through the "About Device" menu.
    4) Then perform the System Update through the same menu screen.
    5) Then shut off the head unit and remove the SD card and remove those 2 files from it.
    6) Reinstall the SD card. Connect your Google account. Set the correct date/time (it is set to China as the default time zone so switch this). Then download the apps you need.
    Last edited by Madmartigan; 03-14-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting all the info @Madmartigan!

This is probably a dumb question, but does Google Maps work without connecting the headunit to wifi?
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flawlessninja View Post
    Thank you for posting all the info @Madmartigan!

This is probably a dumb question, but does Google Maps work without connecting the headunit to wifi?
    You will need to connect to WiFi first and pre-download the area you will be traveling in. Or add a subscription data plan to your "tablet". Also, there is the default iGo GPS which doesn't require a connection, but looks funny to me.

A couple useful apps are MTC Service which allows you to add steering wheel controls for any 3rd party app.

I am also using Poweramp (music), Spotify, Video Player for Android, Hulu, I have Torque but decided to stick with my Blitz Touch Brain.

So the update fixed the stereo presets resetting when the car gets turned off, but it no longer allowed the back and skip steering wheel controls to work when using Poweramp. Adding MTC Service or RK3066 Head Unit fixes that.

The only thing I am missing at this point now is Push To Talk. If anyone has figured out connecting that let me know please!
    Last edited by Madmartigan; 03-14-2017 at 09:30 PM.