User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Android Head Unit Released

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by verkion View Post
    So, I just ordered a headunit with a PX5 processor (octacore design vs. the older quad-core PX3), 32GB storage + 2GB RAM. Unfortunately, no microSD slot on the front but I suppose, I can just pop a card reader into the USB cables via extensions. Anyhow, On the stock Headunit, there are a number of user controllable settings for door locks and such. I'm assuming these are not accessible from the Android unit so how are you guys changing settings? Are you just setting them to whatever you like ahead of time and then swappping in the unit?

Thanks!
    verkion
    All of those setting changes are able to be made via other commands. I don't remember exactly how off the top of my head, but there are guides. So if you find yourself wanting to change some of those settings then you can and you'll just have to google the guides. such as this:

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55307

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! LOL. I should have realized that of course it could be programmed elsewhere. I guess I'll setup everything the way I want (anyways) before I do the changeover. Sounds like its a bit hit and miss with the push button, then another button, hold it while upside down, but only at sunrise the second Tuesday of the month on non-leap years.

:-)

verkion

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ Pretty much lol.

I set mine up before i sold my navigation 4 years ago and never have felt the need to change anything since. But it's good to know it can be changed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I received my PX5 unit today...looks good at first glance but daaaayyyyuuuummmm is it cheaply assembled. The metal casing still had plastic protectant stuck between all the screwed together panels (which sucks since it's supposed to be the ground shield) and the wifi antenna is literally a piece of wire hanging out a hole in the back. That said, I expected all of this having studied up on the MTCD units on XDA before purchasing.

So, on a related note, does anyone have any instructions regarding the CANbus breakout? Specifically there are 2 brown wires labelled "reverse" that aren't connected anywhere, a blue antenna power and 3 connectorized brown wires that can plug into each other but aren't labelled at all. Where the hell do those go? Also, the CANbus adaptor harness has audio in...but the head unit also has audio/video in. Which set did you all use for the external inputs in the car?

I'll upload a picture as soon as I get home to a computer...on my mobile.
    [UPDATED w/Photo]

Red circles are the 3 connectors that are unlabelled.
    Yellow Circles = two brown wires labelled Reverse...so I attach these together or what?
    Blue = Antenna Power...Is the stock antenna in the 08MR powered, i.e. has some sort of active RF amplification in it hence power is needed? Or is it something else?
    CANBUS.jpg

Thanks!
    verkion
    Last edited by verkion; 08-26-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh...update...the brown wire I *think* is the KEY 1 or KEY 2 wire. I'm thinking since I have the CANBUS decoder, I should plug the lower yellow circled brown wire into the white harness brown wire since it will probably be decoding the CAN steering button presses? (I guess they put it as an option to wire the steering wheel controls directly into the Head Unit instead of through the CANBUS decoder.) Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
    verkion

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't have to touch any of those wires when using the CANBUS decoder. Everything works fine, including reverse and steering wheel functionality.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok! Thanks so much! I'll give it a shot today/tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @razorlab

Do you know if the reverse signal passed through by CANbus too? Or do I need to hook up the reverse wire to the reverse light?

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @razorlab

Do you know if the reverse signal passed through by CANbus too? Or do I need to hook up the reverse wire to the reverse light?

Whenever I put the car in reverse the screen switches to a triangle exclamation point so I'm assuming it knows the car is in reverse

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I tested the unit in the car...powers up, speakers seem to work. But EQ and Fader controls do nothing, and none of the Steering Wheel buttons work...well that's not exactly true. When I hit the "Cancel " button, something that sounds like my fuel pump activates, LOL! Or is there some setting in the Factory menu I have to change? In the CANBus menu its set to #57 Outlander 2014. Or is there another CANBus setting to change? Maynbe they sent me the wrong CANbus decoder (i.e. not the 2008-2013 but the 2014-2015 one instead? I'll take a shot of the front of the CANBus decoder...

Also, the reverse camera doesn't automatically go on which means I need to find a "reverse wire" in the stock harness still. Any idea what color wire on the stock harness I should tap into?

20170828_170348.jpg

Thanks!
    verkion
    Last edited by verkion; 08-28-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm running a different rom than stock, but I know I had to program the steering wheel keys. It's in settings.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you need to program the steering wheel keys.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    Yes, you need to program the steering wheel keys.
    Thanks for the confirmation. I'm always apprehensive to answer because I'm on a different ROM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man...that was annoying. So it turns out, the upper two connectors (circled in red) needed to be connected...did that and keys started to register thank goodness. Next, the reverse wires. Turns out, they needed to be joined. The one going into the head-unit and the one coming from the CANBUS decoder. (Circled in Yellow). Measured the lines and found there was voltage on the CANBUS reverse line when in R...which tipped me off that the HU was looking for a reverse signal. Dunno why they ship it without it connected.

Lastly, for all of you who have this unit and DIDN'T connect the Antenna Power Line...connect it. I finally decided to look at the circuit diagrams in the Evo X service manuals and we actually have a separate antenna amplifier. It helps reception A LOT. That blue line (circled in blue above), goes to the Pink wire in the 20 pin harness.

Things that still don't work for me:
    1) My EQ/Fader does NOT work...I'm thinking it is a ROM issue...I'm going to install Malysk v.4 and see if it works. Anyone have similar issues?
    2) SuperSU...can't get it installed properly after rooting with Kingoroot. Not a HUGE deal...I was trying to backup my ROM (before I installed another ROM) because it is really new compared to the ones on XDA (August 4, 2017) and then realized, this method wouldn't work anyways as I can't save it in a format that would allow the stock recovery to actually use it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...I don't don't know if any of you haunt the XDA Developers MTCD forum for these new headunits, but apparently, some industrious people are writing programs that can directly pull CANBUS info. Is there anyone here with the Android programming chops to attempt writing a program to grab Evo X info?

You can see some CANBUS log into by using 'canlog' as the password for the factory settings screen.

Thanks
    verkion

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard it shows that because it doesn't have a backup camera hooked up when it switches to reverse

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am having a hard time finding the one for 08-13 with the rockford...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trackstar99 View Post
    I am having a hard time finding the one for 08-13 with the rockford...
    Finding one what? Head unit? Any of the Android ones for the lancer work. CANBUS decoder? I'll find a link for you. The seller I bought from on AliExpress was actually pretty good/helpful.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats the only difference right, the CANBUS decoder for Rockford? Yes if you could please.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man...that was annoying. So it turns out, the upper two connectors (circled in red) needed to be connected...did that and keys started to register thank goodness. Next, the reverse wires. Turns out, they needed to be joined. The one going into the head-unit and the one coming from the CANBUS decoder. (Circled in Yellow). Measured the lines and found there was voltage on the CANBUS reverse line when in R...which tipped me off that the HU was looking for a reverse signal. Dunno why they ship it without it connected.

Lastly, for all of you who have this unit and DIDN'T connect the Antenna Power Line...connect it. I finally decided to look at the circuit diagrams in the Evo X service manuals and we actually have a separate antenna amplifier. It helps reception A LOT. That blue line (circled in blue above), goes to the Pink wire in the 20 pin harness.

1) My EQ/Fader does NOT work...I'm thinking it is a ROM issue...I'm going to install Malysk v.4 and see if it works. Anyone have similar issues?
    2) SuperSU...can't get it installed properly after rooting with Kingoroot. Not a HUGE deal...I was trying to backup my ROM (before I installed another ROM) because it is really new compared to the ones on XDA (August 4, 2017) and then realized, this method wouldn't work anyways as I can't save it in a format that would allow the stock recovery to actually use it.
    Thank you for this info. I'm going to try these things.

I also have no sound from my rear speakers after the headunit install :/. And "sub" control doesn't seem to actually control subwoofer volume.

Gonna play with it some more tonight.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DKevoX View Post

Thank you for this info. I'm going to try these things.

I also have no sound from my rear speakers after the headunit install :/. And "sub" control doesn't seem to actually control subwoofer volume.

Gonna play with it some more tonight.
    You are correct about the EQ/Sub control not doing anything. However, viper4android DOES work with Malysk ROM so you can get all the EQ/other processing, done through that.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I was poking around the net for these headunits and I saw eliteevolved is no more. I also found that there is a a new version running 7.1.1 with a newer RK3188 quad core chip as compared to the octa core that came with the 6.0 unit.

Has anyone gotten to try the newer one out yet? Im debating ordering it

UPDATE:

More poking around, found this guy:
    PX5 Octa core
    4g ram (first I have seen)
    Android 8.0

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dasa...311.0.0.JV2qX8

Thinking I am gonna give this one a shot..
    Last edited by Legoctf; 03-11-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Legoctf View Post
    So I was poking around the net for these headunits and I saw eliteevolved is no more. I also found that there is a a new version running 7.1.1 with a newer RK3188 quad core chip as compared to the octa core that came with the 6.0 unit.

Has anyone gotten to try the newer one out yet? Im debating ordering it

UPDATE:

More poking around, found this guy:
    PX5 Octa core
    4g ram (first I have seen)
    Android 8.0

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dasa...311.0.0.JV2qX8

Thinking I am gonna give this one a shot..

Let me know what you think im debating on getting that one too!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same here definitely interested to hear what you think about it

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do let us know how it is.

I have the old one, but am a bit frustrated with it. It can't play music off internal storage and run the racecapture app at the same time without screwing up the music. Every once in a while I get stutters and artifacts added to the music that shouldn't be there and are a clear result of the headunit not processing the music files fast enough.

If anyone knows a good lightweight music player for android? that was going to be my next attempt to fix that issue. Something that requires minimal resources.