Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do these guys fit?
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    how do these guys fit?
    If it's the same trim kit as the "old" ones, it fits perfectly like stock, however the vents need to be removed from your OEM trim, then trimmed (easy to do with snips or dremel - took me 5 minutes) so they can be installed into the trim included with the unit.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saytheb View Post
    how do these guys fit?
    If it's the same trim kit as the "old" ones, it fits perfectly like stock, however the vents need to be removed from your OEM trim, then trimmed (easy to do with snips or dremel - took me 5 minutes) so they can be installed into the trim included with the unit.
    what about the quality of the plastic bezel? is it OEM quality? Meaning are there any blemishes from injection molding process or anything?
    '11 GSR

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saytheb View Post
    how do these guys fit?
    what about the quality of the plastic bezel? is it OEM quality? Meaning are there any blemishes from injection molding process or anything?
    It honestly looks OEM. The only issue I have with it is that they tilted the top "lip" of the dash up to accommodate the screen size. It looks a bit odd when you focus on it but it's not horrible (they basically tilted it up maybe 30* or so). At night at full brightness the screen tends to light up the interior roof.. lol.

Keep in mind this is coming from the "old" one. I'm going to assume the same factory in CN is making all of these and just reselling with different brands as they typically do, so it'll probably be the exact same unit except for some changes to the main board.

My only huge complaint about it at this point is that it's only 2.4Ghz Wireless, and at that, it feels like 802.11b, barely g. It's god awful slow.. My entire house is now using AC on nearly all devices (N at a minimum) so going to B/G again is like watching paint dry for downloads of apps. Probably faster just to download the APK on a different device and manually copy it over.. hahaha

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well alrighty then. I know what my next car mod is gonna be. Tired of the lame plain dash of a non touch screen GSR -_-.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Android Head Unit Released

I ordered this on Thursday. I will post some info after it arrives.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madmartigan View Post
    I ordered this on Thursday. I will post some info after it arrives.
    Definitely post info. Depending on your feedback, I may return mine and order one of these instead.

Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if this is fast enough to run race capture app I so want...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a similar spec 2g RAM and 32 gb internal from China for approximately USD300... no play store and can't install... the unit is rooted but i can't RW at system/app... weird and ultimately frustrating. Sure you can side load apks but it's a pain with paid apps... Also, not being Bluetooth 4.0+ is kinda a pain with some TPMS devices such as Fobo.
    Last edited by hogig; 02-13-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hogig View Post
    I bought a similar spec 2g RAM and 32 gb internal from China for approximately USD300... no play store and can't install... the unit is rooted but i can't RW at system/app... weird and ultimately frustrating. Sure you can side load apks but it's a pain with paid apps... Also, not being Bluetooth 4.0+ is kinda a pain with some TPMS devices such as Fobo.
    Did you buy it from Alibaba or similar? I only saw those "super cheap" ones there and similar bulk sales sites. Glad I avoided the cheaper ones! Sheesh

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks nice, but I'll only be upgrading when they come out with a glare resistant screen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if price made a difference. it's a matter of whether the manufacturer wanted to do Android development work... Apart from the play store issues, everything is really good... even the sound is better lol (than my old Pioneer double-din HU) Bluetooth spec wise, it appears most of them just cheap out on an older version... But let's see how this specific one does.

I find that glare is not an issue - just finger prints...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure if price made a difference. it's a matter of whether the manufacturer wanted to do Android development work... Apart from the play store issues, everything is really good... even the sound is better lol (than my old Pioneer double-din HU) Bluetooth spec wise, it appears most of them just cheap out on an older version... But let's see how this specific one does.

Oh sorry - I meant more that I noticed when hovering near 300 it seemed to be closer to what you described vs the closer to 400 mark. It does seem that there's probably only 1, MAYBE 2 factories in CN producing the units to 3rd parties who may use different Android flavors from what I was finding before ordering mine.

The BT I have currently is fantastic (crystal clear even if it's in my pocket and streaming music via 3g/LTE), however I haven't measured the battery consumption. Considering the wifi chip is old, I'm assuming it's an older spec BT chip. The Wifi is a huge sore spot for me, and I really hope this new one at least moved to N. I've wanted to open my unit up and see if it was a soldered on chip or if it was just an addon module (doubt it). If I was lucky and it had an add-on, I'd swap it in a heartbeat and see if I could find some android driver for it.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
    It looks nice, but I'll only be upgrading when they come out with a glare resistant screen
    No luck with anti-glare, scratch-resistant screen covers? I think there are some that are also oleophobic so they won't attract fingerprints. Ideally, a custom-sized tempered glass cover would work. The one I bought for my phone has been amazing, and is still fairly oleophobic after almost 2 years of use.
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flawlessninja View Post

No luck with anti-glare, scratch-resistant screen covers? I think there are some that are also oleophobic so they won't attract fingerprints. Ideally, a custom-sized tempered glass cover would work. The one I bought for my phone has been amazing, and is still fairly oleophobic after almost 2 years of use.
    Glare can be really bad here in the Chicago area. The fingerprints don't bother me so much as a quick wipe daily keeps them away.

The guy we all owe money to
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how is the SQ?

my current unit (an OLD aliebaybaba - ROF170somethingorother) is worse than stock...

also how is the reception? the ROF was terrible

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered the same one from aliexpress. Hopefully will be here next week. I currently have a Nexus 7 2012 stuck to my windshield running Torque with the MUT V2 plug in and have been very happy. Make sure you don't scimp out on a good OBD adapter. I had an ELM327 but couldn't get it to poll data quite fast enough. Switched over to the OBDLINK-MX and have had no issues.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it installed. Works good, no lag at all. Touchscreen doesnt seem to show all the smudges. Runs torque awesome, and even nbcsn to watch soccer games..lol

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How does it sound?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds as good as my pioneer double din. Only complaint is radio doesn't keep presets...But I barely listen to the radio.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just installed mine yesterday and it sounds a lot better than the stock headunit (2012 gsr that had the same head unit as the early models with orange LCD) Very happy so far! Everything works and so do steering wheel buttons, plus installation was a piece of cake! Bought it from Aliexpress and took only 7 days to deliver to Australia.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Link pls.. fellow Aussie here..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing this would be the link https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10-1...1-e7a47f30c309

There has to be a shorter link...

I installed one of these in my car yesterday and it's a huge improvement from the stock head unit. I'm not shopping to find some sort of anti-reflection screen for it since it's quite a mirror in the day.