User Tag List

Thread: Rebuilding my transmission GSR -- Advice

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rebuilding my transmission GSR -- Advice

To anyone that know anything about rebuilding transmissions: @EvoX_UT, @chetrickerman @Black E @razorlab

I am trying to rebuild my manual transmission. It has under 30K miles and didn't have problems before being taken out. Also, pardon if my technical terms are not up to par.

I disassembled the whole thing and have a few questions:

I am thinking of replacing the shift fork in picture - it is worn on one side. According to the manual it the 1-2 shift fork. Would you replace it?

The other photo is of the synchronizer ring: I am not sure if this is "damaged" but it appears that the very corners (point angles) are ever-so-slightly rounded off. See picture. What would you recommend with this one? (the area in question is at the tip of my thumb)

Another question is the Center Diff pins. I took apart the center diff. I cant, for the life of me, see how these pins can back out. The main pins are held in place by the locking skinny pin. THe skinny pin can only be placed into place when the differential is apart. Once its put back together the locking pins cannot be removed and the main pin has nowhere to go. Can someone explain this to me? I thought about getting a pin upgrade kit from sheps.

Another question: where is the best place to buy parts like shift forks?

Thank you guys

P.S. You should have seen me struggling trying to split the trans cases while forgetting (or not knowing) to take out that one fucking weird bolt that screws into the reverse idler assembly...
    Last edited by mityaz; 02-08-2017 at 07:55 PM.
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would replace all of those

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know nothing about working on tranny's. I just take the out, pay someone to do magical shit and I put it back in lol

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    I know nothing about working on tranny's. I just take the out, pay someone to do magical shit and I put it back in lol
    Same. LOL
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UT_EvoX View Post
    Same. LOL
    Well, im in the same boat. I am learning as we go. This is a spare tranny that i picked for an awesome deal so just wanted to have one spare to be ready to drop in.

Any input on the center diff pins?
    '11 GSR

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    The 2011 doesn't have that metallurgy/clearance issue. I would just put it back together and not worry about it.

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would still suggest the shep trans tool steel diff pins

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
    What is the problem: the thick pins themselves or the tiny pins that hold them in?
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2011 doesn't have that metallurgy/clearance issue. I would just put it back together and not worry about it.
    is it confirmed about the metallurgy being corrected for the pins in 2011+? This trans is 2014 BTW. The pins look great
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it confirmed about the metallurgy being corrected for the pins in 2011+? This trans is 2014 BTW. The pins look great
    Somebody actually tore one apart and noted the difference way back when.

I've never seen the diff pins fail like they did on my 2008 on a 2011+

I can't confirm the difference firsthand.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
    What is the problem: the thick pins themselves or the tiny pins that hold them in?
    Just to answer your question (regardless if the newer trans suffer from it or not) the problem is(was) the small pins shearing and then the large pins walking out and cutting through the tranny case.