User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: 2017 Civic Hatchback

  1. #1
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2017 Civic Hatchback

    I must be turning into a ricer Honda fanboy

    I'm strongly considering a new Civic Hatchback - I'm really impressed by what I see.

    1.5L Turbo that genuine owners and some Honda shops are saying are on-par with the last gen Civic Si

    I already looked at one in person at the dealership, but no time to test drive yet.

    +Surprising amount of power for a non-Si Civic
    +31/42 MPG
    +The trunk space is BIGGER than the Honda HRV or equivalent compact SUV
    +The rear seats are some of the most comfortable places I've sat in the economy class
    +Android Auto looks fantastic; seriously, all I've ever wanted was google maps - not some garbage OEM navi unit
    +Blind Spot monitoring
    +Rear View Camera with 3 views
    +STILL starting in the low/mid 20's for all that tech
    ~If I opt for it, Lane Keeping Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control. What a day we live in where we can get these on a Civic of all things
    ~Sometimes I think the car looks sharp, other times I think they went too far with the fake grills. Overall it doesn't look too bad
    ~Can be had in a fantastic Honda 6speed manual, though I might realistically just get the CVT Auto



    I'll admit, I'm having a soft spot for cheap and fun hatchbacks. I'm actually happy with my CR-Z for what it is, but this just seems superior in every category. I'm amazed at the amount of tech you get in a Civic mostly. For a peppy daily, this seems to fit the bill.

    Context: GF stupidly leased a Carolla (long before we met), and there's still a year left on it. We're at the point where we're combining finances, and dumping money into a car that we're just going to give up at the end of the year sickens me. We need to get rid of it.

    GTI - way too small. When I haul shit, I really haul shit. and too expensive for what I need
    Mazda3 - not bad, but the tech features of the new Civic beat it handily
    Mazda CX3 and CX5 - not impressed at all. The CX9 is gorgeous (seriously, in person it looks fantastic), but way too big
    Honda HRV - we were surprised and impressed by this, until we looked at the hatchback
    Outlander Sport - sold a lot of these as a salesman back in the day, and they were well equipped back then
    I'm not considering a Ford. I'm just not a fan of the brand, nor the Fiesta ST that everyone is raving about

  2. #2
    Senior Member razorlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    East Coast, somewhere
    Posts
    2,563
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way too many lines all over the place.

    Honda and Subaru designers need a lesson in restraint.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Monster4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up a Mazda3 four years ago and have been extremely happy with it... ready to buy another one happy with it.

    At its' price point we found it to be much more of a drivers car than its' competitors, connected and great feel for the road. The interior is comfortable and doesn't make you feel like you have been invited to a tubberware party. It is cheap, extremely reliable and best of all 0% APR!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    Way too many lines all over the place.

    Honda and Subaru designers need a lesson in restraint.
    it's not the lines that bother me, but the huge ass plastic grilles on the back that are clearly SOLID........

    but the raved about powertrain and the included tech keeps making me want to consider it

  5. #5
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster4 View Post
    We picked up a Mazda3 four years ago and have been extremely happy with it... ready to buy another one happy with it.

    At its' price point we found it to be much more of a drivers car than its' competitors, connected and great feel for the road. The interior is comfortable and doesn't make you feel like you have been invited to a tubberware party. It is cheap, extremely reliable and best of all 0% APR!
    I owned a 2006 Mazda3 and it's honestly the car that got me into cars - great shifter, sporty handling, easy to thrash around without worrying. Made me realize driving could be fun

    but you really ought to kill some time and stop by a Honda dealership for shits and giggles. Mazda3 used to be the only option for econo-hatchbacks for people that actually liked driving, but this new Civic is impressive

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would get it, but I really like the newer Mazda3 hatchbacks, in a 2.5L of course

  7. #7
    Global Mod of Stuffs Locust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,183
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting on the Type-R and then getting one in its 2nd year (2018 I think?). Like the Type-R they've been showing but not the regular Civic hatch.

    2012 EvoX MR - 11.289 @ 123.24mph
    2015 Scion FR-S - D-Street in SCCA Solo II
    Info/Pics: Instagram / Build Thread
    Sponsors: DSGPerformance
    Founder: Evil Apex Racing

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do like Honda products. Can't deny they make good stuff.

  9. #9
    Senior Member doom26464's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait for the new Si should be a good compromise for a fun sporty daily. Honda due for another Good si as the 8th gen was the last truly revolutionary Si platform IMO.

    CR-Z is trash, im sorry. Honda bombed on that product hard. Such a massive dispontment. Having owned a CRX and loved it, the CR-Z I though would retain that sort of econimcial/sporty/fun charcteristic of the CRX but did none of that. If honda put a K series in it instead of that awful heavy hybrid drivetrain it would have been a hit.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

    05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

  10. #10
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    Wait for the new Si should be a good compromise for a fun sporty daily. Honda due for another Good si as the 8th gen was the last truly revolutionary Si platform IMO.

    CR-Z is trash, im sorry. Honda bombed on that product hard. Such a massive dispontment. Having owned a CRX and loved it, the CR-Z I though would retain that sort of econimcial/sporty/fun charcteristic of the CRX but did none of that. If honda put a K series in it instead of that awful heavy hybrid drivetrain it would have been a hit.
    there's no reports there will even be an Si hatchback, and this 10th gen Si is already out in coupe form. With the Type-R taking the hatchback form, I doubt we'll see an Si anytime soon

    The CRZ being trash made it a steal as a used car. Is it garbage for what it is at 20k+? Yes. But I got mine for $8.5k with 40k miles. Can't think of anything remotely as fun for that price without needing any TLC. I'm enjoying my CRZ for how little it cost

  11. #11
    Senior Member doom26464's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An 8th gen Si would have been a better buy at 8.5k USD. Reliable, good handling platform for a FWD, easy to make power with a few bolts ons and a tune(220whp) and they are cheap to buy right now. This honestly might be my next DD shortly as both my cars are getting to far away from DD usage, and I love honda's(owned over a dozen now and GF still has her 08 accord v-6 6 spd coupe)


    I test drove the CR-Z twice, wanted to love it as I do like some of the styling cue's but it just is an awful performer for something that is sopuse to be "sporty". Dog slow(I know its not sopuses to be a rocket ship) handling was poor, heavy and very poor tuneablity unless you go straight to a k swap(which is alot of work).

    They should have just made a CR-Z Si with a k20
    Last edited by doom26464; 02-07-2017 at 08:17 AM.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

    05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

  12. #12
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    An 8th gen Si would have been a better buy at 8.5k USD
    Again - with how many miles on it?

    I wanted an Si too, but I couldn't swallow paying that much for anything near the 100k mile mark. The only reason I'd have a car with that high mileage is because I bought/owned it the entire lifetime. I don't want to start ownership at 100k miles

    and now the Civic Hatchback Turbo looks to offer what I wanted from the CRZ and more. Hell, speaking of a used Si
    http://www.civicx.com/threads/2016-c...-hondata.1465/
    and
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t30I6DBdiU

    pretty sure I'll be picking one up for the mrs
    Last edited by Exyia; 02-07-2017 at 08:32 AM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member doom26464's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt its hard to find one without a ton of miles. Though I have seen plenty with 200k+ with very little issues in its lifetime.


    The 9th gen is not a very good platform, and to be honest I would not be suprised if it was slower then the 8th gen. The 2.4 offered some more low end grunt over the older k20 but also did not rev as high. Plus the integrated exahust mainfold really stopped it from any serious tuneabilty for real power. The 9th gen does have some nice styling and some better refienment in certain areas over the 8th but that is really it.


    That said to stay on topic I have driven the new civic and it really is a good car and peppy. Sounds like the aftermarket is already trying to R and D parts for it so will be intresting to see where it goes.
    Last edited by doom26464; 02-07-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

    05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

  14. #14
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty much. A daily that's comfortable, has cool tech features, and isn't snore inducingly slow? Hell yeah that's all I need from a daily. We all have our Evos. It's not that I needed/wanted an Si, it's just that the non-Si is so boring - but that just doesn't seem the case anymore

  15. #15
    Senior Member doom26464's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Exyia

    I would suggest you take the new elantra GT sport/elantra sport for a spin as well.


    We just got our new sport elantra in yesterday(no hatchback GT yet) and I was very impressed with it.

    1.6T with a DCT(you can also get it in a 6speed). Love the interior with the black leather and red stritching. Its also a very quick fast shifting car. They also added multi link suspension to the rear of the car(vrs solid beam) and it does handle pretty good for a car in its price range.

    The one we got in was loaded up and sticker priced at 28k so I imagine in the states they will 25k or less. Defently a very solid civic fighter after driving both now.
    Last edited by doom26464; 02-16-2017 at 06:28 AM.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

    05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

  16. #16
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    @Exyia

    I would suggest you take the new elantra GT sport/elantra sport for a spin as well.


    We just got our new sport elantra in yesterday(no hatchback GT yet) and I was very impressed with it.

    1.6T with a DCT(you can also get it in a 6speed). Love the interior with the black leather and red stritching. Its also a very quick fast shifting car. They also added multi link suspension to the rear of the car(vrs solid beam) and it does handle pretty good for a car in its price range.

    The one we got in was loaded up and sticker priced at 28k so I imagine in the states they will 25k or less. Defently a very solid civic fighter after driving both now.
    Not bad, didn't know they were hitting dealership lots yet

    But I just can't get over Hyundai's styling designs......Civic hatchback is no winner either granted

    I'm leaning towards picking up a loaded Civic Hatchback and keeping that car until it dies. Has every luxury feature I would ever want and hauls anything I would ever haul. Adaptive cruise/Lane Keeping, comfy interior, 40mpg, it would be a great roadtrip car for distances the Evo wouldn't like. The only thing that sucks is how they claim to have brought back the manual, but you can't get any of the tech features on a 6spd, or even find one in the US at all.

  17. #17
    Senior Member doom26464's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    @Exyia

    I would suggest you take the new elantra GT sport/elantra sport for a spin as well.


    We just got our new sport elantra in yesterday(no hatchback GT yet) and I was very impressed with it.

    1.6T with a DCT(you can also get it in a 6speed). Love the interior with the black leather and red stritching. Its also a very quick fast shifting car. They also added multi link suspension to the rear of the car(vrs solid beam) and it does handle pretty good for a car in its price range.

    The one we got in was loaded up and sticker priced at 28k so I imagine in the states they will 25k or less. Defently a very solid civic fighter after driving both now.
    Not bad, didn't know they were hitting dealership lots yet

    But I just can't get over Hyundai's styling designs......Civic hatchback is no winner either granted

    I'm leaning towards picking up a loaded Civic Hatchback and keeping that car until it dies. Has every luxury feature I would ever want and hauls anything I would ever haul. Adaptive cruise/Lane Keeping, comfy interior, 40mpg, it would be a great roadtrip car for distances the Evo wouldn't like. The only thing that sucks is how they claim to have brought back the manual, but you can't get any of the tech features on a 6spd, or even find one in the US at all.
    Exterior styling I can understand. Its sort of either you love it or hate it. Some of the angles are a bit extreme and the front grills is where the love hate angle comes from. Korean styling comes into play here.


    Interior though, man are they really a huge step forward. Love love the new sport flat bottom leather stitched steering wheels in the sport elantra and the sport sonata. The new wide sweeping needle gauges, colorful stitched leather and even the sport or turbo embossed seats is nice. Also the use of some faux carbon fiber and black trim/black headliner really brings out a sporty feel.


    We just also got a sonata sport turbo in with black interior and orange stitching everywhere and it really is a wild and aggressive interior for a hyundai haha.
    Last edited by doom26464; 02-16-2017 at 10:10 AM.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

    05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

  18. #18
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    @Exyia

    I would suggest you take the new elantra GT sport/elantra sport for a spin as well.


    We just got our new sport elantra in yesterday(no hatchback GT yet) and I was very impressed with it.

    1.6T with a DCT(you can also get it in a 6speed). Love the interior with the black leather and red stritching. Its also a very quick fast shifting car. They also added multi link suspension to the rear of the car(vrs solid beam) and it does handle pretty good for a car in its price range.

    The one we got in was loaded up and sticker priced at 28k so I imagine in the states they will 25k or less. Defently a very solid civic fighter after driving both now.
    Not bad, didn't know they were hitting dealership lots yet

    But I just can't get over Hyundai's styling designs......Civic hatchback is no winner either granted

    I'm leaning towards picking up a loaded Civic Hatchback and keeping that car until it dies. Has every luxury feature I would ever want and hauls anything I would ever haul. Adaptive cruise/Lane Keeping, comfy interior, 40mpg, it would be a great roadtrip car for distances the Evo wouldn't like. The only thing that sucks is how they claim to have brought back the manual, but you can't get any of the tech features on a 6spd, or even find one in the US at all.
    Exterior styling I can understand. Its sort of either you love it or hate it. Some of the angles are a bit extreme and the front grills is where the love hate angle comes from. Korean styling comes into play here.


    Interior though, man are they really a huge step forward. Love love the new sport flat bottom leather stichted steering wheels in the sport elantra and the sport sonata. The new wide sweeping needle gauges, colourful stichted leather and even the sport or turbo emborsed seats is nice. Also the use of some faux carbon fiber and black trim/black headliner really brings out a sporty feel.


    We just also got a sonata sport turbo in with black interior and organge stiching everywhere and it really is a wild and aggressive interior for a hyundai haha.
    I will 100% admit, Hyundai (and Kia) have really outgrown their roots. Back when they first started making a turnaround in 2010 with the redesigned Sonata and later Elantra, I still wasn't a fan. I was still selling them at the time (combined Mitsubishi and Hyundai dealership) and I could see elements of nice design, I still saw a lot of bottom barrel korean-built roots.

    But they've done a fantastic job now. The mid-size car segment used to be an obvious "pick an Accord or Camry, or a Sonata if you're ok trying Korean", but now (iirc) Kia's Optima actually has good resale value and the Sonata has done nothing but improve.

    It's just crazy to see what you get from well optioned economy cars these days. I don't see myself indulging with a luxury car anymore (would rather spend the money elsewhere) when I can get all this on an everyday civic or equivalent. These cheap cars are easily becoming a nicer place to be than the Evo while still being fun

  19. #19
    Senior Member doom26464's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,466
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post
    @Exyia

    I would suggest you take the new elantra GT sport/elantra sport for a spin as well.


    We just got our new sport elantra in yesterday(no hatchback GT yet) and I was very impressed with it.

    1.6T with a DCT(you can also get it in a 6speed). Love the interior with the black leather and red stritching. Its also a very quick fast shifting car. They also added multi link suspension to the rear of the car(vrs solid beam) and it does handle pretty good for a car in its price range.

    The one we got in was loaded up and sticker priced at 28k so I imagine in the states they will 25k or less. Defently a very solid civic fighter after driving both now.
    Not bad, didn't know they were hitting dealership lots yet

    But I just can't get over Hyundai's styling designs......Civic hatchback is no winner either granted

    I'm leaning towards picking up a loaded Civic Hatchback and keeping that car until it dies. Has every luxury feature I would ever want and hauls anything I would ever haul. Adaptive cruise/Lane Keeping, comfy interior, 40mpg, it would be a great roadtrip car for distances the Evo wouldn't like. The only thing that sucks is how they claim to have brought back the manual, but you can't get any of the tech features on a 6spd, or even find one in the US at all.
    Exterior styling I can understand. Its sort of either you love it or hate it. Some of the angles are a bit extreme and the front grills is where the love hate angle comes from. Korean styling comes into play here.


    Interior though, man are they really a huge step forward. Love love the new sport flat bottom leather stichted steering wheels in the sport elantra and the sport sonata. The new wide sweeping needle gauges, colourful stichted leather and even the sport or turbo emborsed seats is nice. Also the use of some faux carbon fiber and black trim/black headliner really brings out a sporty feel.


    We just also got a sonata sport turbo in with black interior and organge stiching everywhere and it really is a wild and aggressive interior for a hyundai haha.
    I will 100% admit, Hyundai (and Kia) have really outgrown their roots. Back when they first started making a turnaround in 2010 with the redesigned Sonata and later Elantra, I still wasn't a fan. I was still selling them at the time (combined Mitsubishi and Hyundai dealership) and I could see elements of nice design, I still saw a lot of bottom barrel korean-built roots.

    But they've done a fantastic job now. The mid-size car segment used to be an obvious "pick an Accord or Camry, or a Sonata if you're ok trying Korean", but now (iirc) Kia's Optima actually has good resale value and the Sonata has done nothing but improve.

    It's just crazy to see what you get from well optioned economy cars these days. I don't see myself indulging with a luxury car anymore (would rather spend the money elsewhere) when I can get all this on an everyday civic or equivalent. These cheap cars are easily becoming a nicer place to be than the Evo while still being fun
    I been wrenching on hyundai since 08-06 where on warranty. Yes totally agree that 2010 was a massive turn around for quality for them. Hyundai has come leaps and bounds in the last 6 years even the new 2014+ models are extremely well built.

    I remember fixing tiburons under warranty that where massive piles of junk and early model elantra that had tons of common issues. Now a days rarely anything even fails, most of my day is spent doing recalls for minor piety issues.

    Pre 05 was the dark ages for hyundai and a rep that they been trying to shake for a long time.
    Last edited by doom26464; 02-16-2017 at 10:09 AM.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

    05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I'm pretty certain I should get the Mazda3 hatch but anyone able to convince me to go with the civic instead?

    Only getting base model.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfonts View Post
    So, I'm pretty certain I should get the Mazda3 hatch but anyone able to convince me to go with the civic instead?

    Only getting base model.
    Not sure how base models compare. I know Honda positions the EX trim as the best value, as Honda doesn't do "options" anymore (other than Honda Sensing). If you want something, you change trim models rather than options.the Sport trim being a step down but is sportier and can be had in manual. You still get the same 1.5T drivetrain on all Civic Hatchbacks though - iirc you have to downgrade to a lesser engine on the mazda3

    Honda Sensing - can be had on ALL trim models (unless you get a manual) for just ~$1k. Unless Mazda has added similar features lately on the 2017, I think that swings things heavily in favor of the Civic. This is a trickling in package right now though, so your local dealership might not have one with Honda Sensing equipped. I urge you to try it on an Accord or other vehicle (it's Honda platform wide) - it really has made this car purchase feel much more modern than anything I've bought or driven in the past

    best video i can find right now
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkE0NpdbOnQ
    Last edited by Exyia; 03-09-2017 at 02:34 PM.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Mazda has that too. I'm not willing to go with anything other than base honestly. Looking for only in manual. I think I might just stick with the Mazda, it's slightly cheaper, looks better to me, and supposedly the better drivers car. I was just trying to see if there is something I'm missing.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfonts View Post
    I think Mazda has that too. I'm not willing to go with anything other than base honestly. Looking for only in manual. I think I might just stick with the Mazda, it's slightly cheaper, looks better to me, and supposedly the better drivers car. I was just trying to see if there is something I'm missing.
    off quick google search, mazda3 hatch starts at 20,145 msrp while civic hatch starts at 19,700

    The sport trim civic hatchback starts at 21,300 and can be had in manual as well - I was surprised, but it handled noticeably better than the base LX model. For such a small price gap, I would try both cars and both LX and Sport Trims

    Mazda may handle a little better, but you really have to test drive the 1.5LTurbo in the Civic. It's silly how much power they put in a non-Si Civic that still gets 40mpg highway

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xfonts View Post
    I think Mazda has that too. I'm not willing to go with anything other than base honestly. Looking for only in manual. I think I might just stick with the Mazda, it's slightly cheaper, looks better to me, and supposedly the better drivers car. I was just trying to see if there is something I'm missing.
    off quick google search, mazda3 hatch starts at 20,145 msrp while civic hatch starts at 19,700

    The sport trim civic hatchback starts at 21,300 and can be had in manual as well - I was surprised, but it handled noticeably better than the base LX model. For such a small price gap, I would try both cars and both LX and Sport Trims

    Mazda may handle a little better, but you really have to test drive the 1.5LTurbo in the Civic. It's silly how much power they put in a non-Si Civic that still gets 40mpg highway
    Mazda3 hatch sport is actually $19,095, not that big a difference though.

    People have been saying the Mazda has a better trans (feel wise), steering and suspension. The Civic has more room, more infotainment stuff (Apple Carplay and such), MPG and of course better resale. This will be my girls car, but she likes manual and is also already used to me mx5 so the controls and infotainment should equal out. I'm really surprised that the 1.5L turbo does that much better MPG than Mazda's 2.0 Skyactiv engine, both great numbers but gotta hand it to Honda in that department. In terms of room, we don't have a family yet, though I would like a kid soon, but even then, not that big of a deal.

    I think, like always, we'll just have to test drive both and see!

  25. #25
    Senior Member Exyia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    1,197
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfonts View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Exyia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xfonts View Post
    I think Mazda has that too. I'm not willing to go with anything other than base honestly. Looking for only in manual. I think I might just stick with the Mazda, it's slightly cheaper, looks better to me, and supposedly the better drivers car. I was just trying to see if there is something I'm missing.
    off quick google search, mazda3 hatch starts at 20,145 msrp while civic hatch starts at 19,700

    The sport trim civic hatchback starts at 21,300 and can be had in manual as well - I was surprised, but it handled noticeably better than the base LX model. For such a small price gap, I would try both cars and both LX and Sport Trims

    Mazda may handle a little better, but you really have to test drive the 1.5LTurbo in the Civic. It's silly how much power they put in a non-Si Civic that still gets 40mpg highway
    Mazda3 hatch sport is actually $19,095, not that big a difference though.

    People have been saying the Mazda has a better trans (feel wise), steering and suspension. The Civic has more room, more infotainment stuff (Apple Carplay and such), MPG and of course better resale. This will be my girls car, but she likes manual and is also already used to me mx5 so the controls and infotainment should equal out. I'm really surprised that the 1.5L turbo does that much better MPG than Mazda's 2.0 Skyactiv engine, both great numbers but gotta hand it to Honda in that department. In terms of room, we don't have a family yet, though I would like a kid soon, but even then, not that big of a deal.

    I think, like always, we'll just have to test drive both and see!
    Just be sure to at least consider the Sport trim on the civic hatchback. Yes the Mazda3 handles a bit better, but the Sport trim handling is much better than the base model LX. I wasn't expecting it to be, but it's definitely more than just an OEM body kit and exhaust. The LX felt like an everyday mom's Civic while the Sport trim actually felt agile and light on it's feet. For such similar price ranges, I think the Sport trim compares better to a Mazda3.

    Mazda3 infotainment might win out. The EX trims get an android tablet for a headunit with Android Auto and Apple Carplay while the Sport and LX get a mostly plain stereo. If I had to do it over again, I'd still rip it out for an aftermarket unit though. OEMs still suck at it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •