User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To - Use MUTv2 with Torque Pro

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How To - Use MUTv2 with Torque Pro

Seems there's a new interest in the MUTv2 plugin for Torque Pro so I figured I'd write a short step-by-step to help people get started logging with it.
    [UPDATE: I realized I forgot to mention "Vehicle Profile."]

General Setup
    1) Install Torque Pro (which I'll refer to TQP from here on out).
    2) Install MUT v2. (Yes, paid app...but I think, worth it).
    3) Open TQP, click on the bottom left "Gear" shaped button and then settings.
    4) Under "General Preferences," modify parameters to your hearts content. Each option is pretty self explanatory. I like enabling "Startup in dashboard" and "remember the last dashboard visible."
    5) Under "Plugins," enable "Allow plugins full access."
    6) Under "Units," adjust to your hearts content. Again, self explanatory.
    7) Under "OBD2 Adapter Settings," is where you can adjust parameters for the type of adapter you have.
    - Connection Type: Choose Bluetooth, WiFi or USB as appropriate.
    - Choose Bluetooth Device: Select the Bluetooth device (if connecting over Bluetooth) --> Pair your adapter from your Android device's Bluetooth menu first. Most OBD adapters have 0000 or 1234 as the PIN.
    - Faster communication: I enable this...be aware that ELM327 (eBay specials!) probably won't read well.
    - The rest disabled (or adjusted according to your own preference), except the "ScanTool.net (OBDLink) Power Savings." This will sleep it after 600 seconds idle.

There are many other options/settings you can dig into in TQP...including Data Logging to CSV. I haven't had a chance yet to check the logging rate with RAXPatch, but I suspect it's pretty usable. Other useful items include the various alarm settings which can audibly warn about various conditions you have setup.

PLEASE NOTE THAT, IF USING MUT PLUGIN, YOU DO NOT ENTER EXTRA PID (SENSOR ADDRESSES) HERE. THAT IS DONE IN THE PLUGIN.

Vehicle Profile
    1) Click on TQP "Settings" in the bottom left.
    2) Click "Create New Profile."
    3) Try to enter the data requested as accurately as possible, especially the displacement and weight as HP and Torque calculations require this info.
    4) There are also "Advanced Parameters" which can be modified. Very self-explanatory.
    5) Click "Save."

MUT v2 Plugin Setup
    1) Click on MUT v2 (which hopefully you've installed by now).
    2) Click "Menu & Settings"
    3) Click "Mode Selection" and select the desired mode
    - For TephraMOD ROMs, use Evo X RAX Patch --> This results in the "quickest" logging (generally). For display purposes, Mode 23 CANBUS may be quicker since it doesn't have to do bit-shifting + calculations before displaying values. That said, use TQP as a "sanity check monitoring" system. Probably still best to use EvoScan for tuning (unless someone has checked out the logging to CSV data rate and its acceptable).
    - For other OpenSource tuned Evo's "Mode 23 CANBUS" should work just fine.
    4) Restart TQP.
    5) Go back to MUT v2, click "Menu & Settings" and click "Plugin Settings." You'll be presented a list of "settings" to change.
    6) Enable "Toggle Adapter Full Control," "Start MUT v2 With Torque Pro," and "Toggle High Speed Pooling." <-- that's probably supposed to read polling...
    7) Restart TQP again and go back to the same settings screen.
    8) Select "Enable/Disable Plugin PIDs for Current Mode." That's the list of items you can log or not...already setup for you! Of course, just like any other logging whether OpenPort standalone, EVOScan etc., the fewer items you have checked, the more times/second, the items can be polled/updated. Select what you need in other word.

Editing PIDs
    1) ProTip: Rename the titles of items you want to display to something "short." Editing the Titles of (MUT PID) items in the dashboard mode (realtime information) where you add gauges, will not "stick" after you close the app. Only the non-MUT (native TQP Titles) will "stay changed" after app restart in the dashboard mode.
    2) For the current PIDs pre-installed in MUT v2, edit them in "Edit PIDs for Current Mode."
    - For example, to change the Rear O2 AFR's offset (to match my AEM gauge readout)
    - Select "Rear O2 AFR." (I renamed it "Rear O2" to make it fit my gauge view.)
    - Click on, and add, +12 at the end of the PID Formula. This is the "offset" value that works for me, but may not work for you.
    - I also chose to adjust the "PID Minimum Value" to 10 and "PID Maximum Value" to 20, because that's how my gauges in Realtime Information mode look the best.
    3) Save changes, and it will drop you back into the "Edit Current PID Set"

Adding Custom PIDs
    1) To add a completely new address for monitoring, select "Edit Custom PIDs For Current Mode."
    2) I'm going to use "Ethanol Percentage" as the example case.
    3) So, "PID Description" enter the Title, "Ethanol Percentage" in this case.
    4) Under "[Variable 'a'] PID Request ID / Command ID" enter the Mode 23 address of choice, 23805083 in this case.
    5) "PID Command Header" I entered 7E0. This should work for the vast majority of Mode23 addresses.
    6) "PID Return Bytes," determines how many bytes are returned and put into "variable a." In some cases, its 2-bytes. In this case for Ethanol Percentage, its just 1.
    7) "PID Formula," enter a*100/255 for Ethanol Percentage calculations. NOTICE THAT THE VARIABLE IS NAMED 'A', NOT 'X' LIKE IN EVOSCAN. IF YOU USE 'X' IT WILL NOT WORK.
    8) Fill out the rest to your hearts content. It's self explanatory.
    9) Click "Save Custom PID."
    10) As Shampoo bottles state, Wash, rinse, repeat as many times as you like for whatever values you want to log.
    11) RESTART TQP.

Dashboard/Realtime Information
    1) MAKE SURE YOU ARE CONNECTED TO YOUR CAR AND MUT v2 IS STARTED. YOU MAY HAVE TO CLICK ON THE MUT v2 BUTTON (DESPITE SETTING IT TO AUTOSTART).
    2) Click on "Realtime Information." This is where you can setup all your gauges to your heart's content.
    3) Swipe to find an open screen. You can delete stuff you don't want later. You can also set the number of "dashboards" in the TQP settings>General Preferences>Number of dashboard screens.
    4) Long press on a blank area, click "Add display."
    5) Select the gauge type, then select the parameter you'd like to log.
    6) Remember how I said, make sure MUT v2 is started? [B]IF MUT v2 IS NOT STARTED + CAR CONNECTED TO OBD, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE/SELECT MODE23 OR RAXPATCH PIDS TO DISPLAY.[B]
    7) Select your desired parameter to display.
    8) Move the Gauge around...
    9) PROFIT! I mean, LOG IT!

And here is an example of a dashboard setup that I am currently using...Fancy pancy huh?
    TQP.jpg
    Last edited by verkion; 01-23-2017 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up! Thank you! If only you posted this a week ago you woulda saved me a shit ton of time!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome work, gonna try this during CNY.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @verkion how responsive do you find the gauges to be using the RAX logging?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Laggy in the same way that evoscan is laggy when displaying RAXPatch values. Either display fewer items or maybe use Mode23 values. I am testing the CSV logging at the moment but I will try just Mode23 display after.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so I get about 0.5 seconds per log entry with MUT v2. Very slow...BUT, its recording 24 parameters including LTFT Cruise, LTFT Idle, LTFT In Use, STFT, Rear O2, IPW, Load, RPM, Knocksum, Timing Adv., Barometer, Manifold Air Pressure, Coolant Temp, Boost, SST Temp, SST Odd Clutch Pressure, SST Even Clutch Pressure, SST Odd Clutch Slip Speed, SST Even Clutch Slip Speed, Ethanol %, GPS Speed, Acceleration G's, Pitch and Roll.

I'm going to try with a whole bunch of parameters off to see if it will speed everything up. I wouldn't need LTFT/STFT stuff regularly, IPW, Knocksum (CEL will flash), barometer, Manifold air pressure etc. so I'll see if it speeds up (both display and logging) simply by me "deselecting" more items.

Thanks!
    verkion

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK. Just checked. It would appear CSV logging using the MUT v2 program is too slow for tuning purposes even with fewer parameters selected. (Caveat is that I'm using Torque Pro + MUT v2 over Bluetooth with an OBDLink MX connector. Results may be completely different with a USB dongle.) Logging happen as a rate of about 0.6-0.7 seconds so...yah.

Maybe I'll ping the developer on "the other forum" and see if he has any suggestions.

Thanks!
    verkion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your help!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I picked up the Android head unit and installed the Torque Pro and MUT and added the E85 gauge just like I did with my tablet. For some reason I cant get all the gauges to work at the same time. When the MUT plugin isnt started I get all the regular gauges (i.e. RPM, coolant, throttle etc) but the MUT E85% gauge dorsnt work. When I start the plugin the the E85% starts working but everything else stops. I tried a bunch of different setting in the app and in the plugin and nothing. I tried RAX and that gave me no read outs at all. What am I missing? Any thoughts?

IMG_8343.jpg
    Last edited by JJwins; 02-05-2017 at 09:43 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went back to the car to give it another try and still nothing. I did notice that when I start the MUT plugin and the MUT gauge starts working as the others stop I get the message "being controlled by plugin." I tried going into the MUT setting and enabling and disabling all of the settings in the MUT Mode23 setting page but still get the same result. Nothing!! Ugh!

IMG_8355.jpg
    Last edited by JJwins; 02-05-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your gauge are setup to pull data from the torque side of things instead of the MUT side. Make sure the ones you select from the list are from the MUT directory. Once the plugin takes over the gauges from the Torque app stop displaying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmac View Post
    I think your gauge are setup to pull data from the torque side of things instead of the MUT side. Make sure the ones you select from the list are from the MUT directory. Once the plugin takes over the gauges from the Torque app stop displaying.
    I got this message from the MUT developer "The torque oem gauges should pool data while mut v2 would be working along side but with a massive pooling delay." Which if I read correctly means they can be run simultaneously (I'm 99% sure that I had them running simultaneously on my old device.)

With that said I tried adding gauges (as you recommended) from the MUT side only and it worked but as the developer said it runs with a massive delay which really sucks. For example, the RPM gauge from the Torque app reacts immediately to throttle input where as from the MUT its very delayed. Running all the gauges through the plugin would defeat the purpose of many of the Torque oem gauges. I'm still working at it. I'm determined to figure this out!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's polling delay. Just disable a whole bunch of things you aren't measuring. It will speed up display a little. With 7 items it's about 0.6s display lag time. I'd just turn off E85 display except when you go to fill gas and want to quickly check.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    6) Remember how I said, make sure MUT v2 is started? [B]IF MUT v2 IS NOT STARTED + CAR CONNECTED TO OBD, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SEE/SELECT MODE23 OR RAXPATCH PIDS TO DISPLAY.[B]

I can't see Mode23/Raxpatch PIDS... if the top left corner says "being controlled by plug-in", does it mean MUTV2 is working? Despite this message, when I add display no m23/Rax PIDS to add....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this may be a stupid question but what do you mean you don't see M23/RaxPatch PIDs? They aren't groups anywhere...the list is sorted in alphabetical order. If you go to MUTv2 settings, then Enable/Disable Plugin PIDs for Current Mode, it will have the list of available monitoring there. You can also, as the name implies, enable or disable the PIDs you'd like to be available for display.

Look for say, KnockSum. I don't think that's a value that is normally available in TQP.

Thanks!
    verkion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having issues getting PIDs to display. They aren't even a selectable option. I have setup everything as per the first post and as per the app developer. Does the version of Torque matter or the android version? I am on the newest version 1.8.154. Any ideas. I would love to get this working. I have no issues at all polling data with Torque and it's default PIDs. And I am using a ELM327 mini if that makes a difference.

Update: I lied lol the PIDs are now available for display but the polling rate is terribly slow. Boost for instance polls every 30 seconds or so. Getting a ton of adapter errors.

Which adapter are you running verkion?
    Last edited by Dfarmer0033; 02-13-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah, adapters matter apparently. I'm running the OBDLink adapter. I used to have an ELM327 (actually I had like 3 different versions of them...they were so cheap) before I bought an OBDLink one. Disable all other PIDs other than the ones you are logging. That helps polling speed as you might guess. Also, make sure you disable ELM327 auto-timing adjust in the OBD2 adapter settings. You can also try enabling "Toggle High Speed Pooling (sp)" in the MUT Plugin settings.

I am now having issues trying to add a custom PID that calculates "boost" based on MAP - Barometer. It should be simple..."check custom PID is a sub PID w/no PID request ID. Set sub variable count to 2, select MAP for variable a and Barometer for variable b, then type in a-b for the forumula. But, it just doesn't seem to want to work unfortunately. If I had to hazard a guess, I've got some stupid syntax error or something. Both MAP and Baro have readings so I'm not quite sure why I don't get "Boost Calculated" from it. Oh well...

Thanks!
    verkion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a different adapter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi good day guys looking for some help for the correct settings of the boost(PSI) and knocksum using the mut v2 plugin. So new member here guess i'll introduce myself one time..from the caribbean island of Trinidad driving a 2010 evo x fq 300 sst...ecutek tuned as it comes from the factory locked into ecutek...mods are catback exhaust with high flow ets catalytic converter,3 port grimspeed, drop in k&n filter, ETS UICP, cobb turbo inlet hose and okada plasma coil packs with one step colder than oem ngk spark plugs

1st thing is i don't think mode 23 is enabled but get mode 21 values such as SST temp, odd+even clutch temp+pressure+slip.
    Using the torque pro gauges for boost, rpm, coolant temp, speed and timing which all work except for the boost which only reads up to 22.5. I have a digital blitz boost/turbotimer gauge and that reads the the correct boost(27 psi max and gradually tapering off). Would like to know if there is someway to adjust the settings on the app to read past 22.5psi...reason being is I'd like to use the app to data log. The MUTv2 app doesn't give any readings for the boost gauge(do i need to have mode 23 enabled for this?...I'm ecutek tuned so ecu is locked and still waiting on my tactrix cable to arrive and even then i don't think i'll be able to enable mode 23 as it's ecuteck locked)
    So long story short any way to adjust the settings(PID request, formula or something i'm missing) to read beyond 22.5 psi?And also for the knocksum it's there in the list but not active. Also i'm using the old version that was taken down from the play store due to use of mitsubishi logo...would deleting and re-downloading and well having to pay again(no biggie once it solves the problem) help?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write up, thank you.

Anyone else have an issue with their adapter suddenly disconnecting? My gauges keep freezing on me.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on the type of adapter, you might have to change whether can do fast logging mode. Is it an OBDLink adapter? Or an ELM chipset based one?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using an ELM based chip. I just found that an OBDLink LX was same dayshipping on Amazon, so I had one delivered last night and will try again today on the way to the office. I was suspecting that may have been my issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems that it was the adapter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @JJwins

Did you manage Torque + Mut plugin with the android head unit? I haven't been able to do so.. but tried with both rooted and unrooted phones which worked fine... The android head unit just runs apks i extracted from the phone (cause no Google play store).. don't think that should be reason why though....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hogig View Post
    Did you manage Torque + Mut plugin with the android head unit? I haven't been able to do so.. but tried with both rooted and unrooted phones which worked fine... The android head unit just runs apks i extracted from the phone (cause no Google play store).. don't think that should be reason why though....
    I got it to work but not perfectly. Having issues running the MUT gauges and standard Torque Pro gauges at the same time. Basically, when I start TP all the standard gauges work fine, then when I select MUT to start it all the standard gauges freeze up. Below is a video of the problem Im having. I've tried turning on and off every combination in the MUT setting menu and nothing. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

https://youtu.be/04n6nNufTL0