User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Driven Fabrication Problems / Feedback Thread

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Driven Fabrication Problems / Feedback Thread

ehh just a lil bitchy at driven fab. deleted to give em more time to fix.

synopsis

downpipe is 2 inches short from mid pipe

downpipe hits firewall and second runner.

communication lacks. of the 12 calls i made 2 were answered.

cars been up on jack stands since the 19th

they said replacement would be here last thursday but cant get in contact with them why its not here.
    Last edited by Porkchopexp3ss; 12-07-2016 at 12:17 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkchopexp3ss View Post

synopsis

they said replacement would be here last thursday but cant get in contact with them why its not here.
    Good fucking luck...
    WTF Built 2.0l

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

synopsis

Lol I love how the story is the same for everyone who deals with DF.

How they still deal business is beyond me.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

05 SRT-4- Project "turbo skittle"
    Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doom26464 View Post

synopsis

Lol I love how the story is the same for everyone who deals with DF.

How they still deal business is beyond me.
    I just adopted the mentality that I had purchased a "starter kit" and was very [happy] with the extra fabrication required from that point forward.

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    I called it.
    What did you call?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in as a disgruntled Driven Fab customer.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fastrax04 View Post
    Count me in as a disgruntled Driven Fab customer.
    Go ahead spill the beans. I always enjoy a good read.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its the same as everyone else. Ryan overpromises and seriously underdelivers. Countless number of missed deadlines. Poor communication. Lack of organization. Parts were missing. Parts were damaged. I spent a large chunk of change and for a long time was his cheerleader. I wasn't expecting special treatment, but was expecting deadlines to be met especially when I am spending a considerable amount. In the end he was just flat out ignorning me. Bottom line, he needs an office manager.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a shop and vendor, we're at wit's end with DF. My apologies as a lot of this will be from memory, but I'll err on the fair/conservative side with my timelines.

- A friend and customer of mine first ordered a custom center-exit exhaust from Ryan and it took I believe 3 months to arrive (DF said 2 weeks initially IIRC). Didn't fit well and had under-car clearance issues reminiscent of the Speed Circuit catback we all laughed at on Rik's car.
    - Same guy ordered the first EFR IWG kit w/ a 7670 back in Winter 2014, and it ended up arriving in May 2015 IIRC. Was promised I believe 6 weeks build time on this one. It was missing a few components which DF got us in a decent amount of time, and the downpipe had to be re-manufactured and then the follow up one still didn't fit correctly relative to the position of the O2 sensors. DF still hasn't sent a replacement downpipe on that one... 18 months later.
    - His kit that was intended for him actually went to a build customer of mine in NJ who needed a turbo kit desperately for his DD (guys, please buy beater cars - Evo race cars do not make reliable DD's), with DF promising it would only delay the above customer's kit by a couple weeks. I advised against this, knowing DF would not be able to keep that promise, and that customer A's kit was already 3 months late. At the expense of Customer A, Customer B in NJ received his EFR 8374 kit very promptly and maybe a week later than promised.
    - Derek's EFR 9174 kit was ordered on 8/18/15 with 1/2 deposit on the kit made on the same day, it ended up shipping 12/30/15 - more than 4 months after the kit was ordered and the deposit was made. The reasons for the delays were varied, but in the end it ended up snow-balling my timeline on Derek's build, which could have easily been completed a few months earlier had I known I wasn't waiting on a huge dependency from DF. This is the story with a few of our builds, and it has had a HUGE material impact on our business, unfortunately.
    - It was of course missing a few components, but DF handled that part well and got us what we needed very quickly.
    - The next EFR kit was a 7163 and it actually arrived in a relatively timely manner. Ordered on 02/01/2016 and arrived I believe within 5 weeks.
    - We then ordered an EFR kit for a big build w/ a 9174 on 2/26/16 and it of course was paid 1/2 up front and then the customer had it paid off through us the second it was *supposed* to ship (trying to recall, but I'm sure DF promised under 4 weeks or something like that on this one). It shipped to us in multiple pieces around 7/20/16 and it was missing the hot side and wastegates we ordered w/ it, which then arrived on 8/2/16. So in just over 5 months...
    - This is the most recent one and one I can bother looking up chat history and dates on. It was also a 9174 kit. Invoiced to us on 8/24/16 shortly after inquiring and ordering. The deposit was made on 8/31/16. DF promised and I quote "Can have a 9174 complete here by Thursday" being Thursday 9/1/16. This one of course is now around 70% paid but we are waiting for proof of it being ready to ship to make the final payment, which DF insists would not hold up the ship date and it could be paid once the customer is satisfied and ready to pick the kit up from our shop. It's 12/8/16 and it still hasn't shipped. This particular customer was already out around $5-6K from Boost Therapy who took his money on another turbo kit early this year and still hasn't delivered or refunded him. DF was supposed to come through for him, which is why we were so particular up front about making sure this thing would ship QUICK.

- And a separate incident of an add-on 1-piece UICP being ordered back in February (or earlier of this year). This was to go with the 7163 kit originally ordered by xFonts, and then sold to a customer of mine who has his car with us from Canada. We're wrapping the build up as I type this due to multiple delays with machinists/vendors/waiting on space from other cars that were 5+ months delayed. The 1-piece UICP could very well be the last component we need to complete the build and bill it out and pay our expenses next month, but it of course has been "lost" in DF's shipping room for several months and just shipped out yesterday after houding him several times to please ship it out. This incident is just ridiculous as it's such a simple piece and could have been sent back in Spring of this year. I can go back and find several attempts for me to get him to locate it and ship it, throughout this whole year.

- Catch can orders and stuff I've ordered for my own car has come pretty promptly. Occasionally they've been delayed by a few weeks due to waiting on his powder coater or fittings or whatever, but no big deal.
    - We ordered one FMIC through him last December, which arrived at the customer's house decently quickly, but didn't fit correctly, and the replacement unit was damaged due to the carrier and it took quite some time for that to get resolved... I want to say 3 months.

Quality has never been an issue... top notch. We've had very small fitment issues, most of which DF has resolved, some like with the very first customer mentioned, have never been resolved. Often kits have been missing parts, but those have quickly been resolved.

But the latest kit being ordered on 8/24/16 with a promise date of the very next week and still not having shipped is what has driven us over the edge.

Ryan, please, please get your shit together. I know you have dependencies and upstream vendors, but any installer/builder can confirm, a 5+ month delay on a turbo kit seriously wrecks timelines at a small shop with limited space and lots of engine builds going on. Every delay causes a shift in a schedule that involves 5+ cars and it just messes everything up, every single time. Throw in another screw up or delay like with our machinist this year and multiple blocks we've had to send back after they didn't spec out correctly, and a small shop ends up dead in the water and then further delayed as we're forced to pick up smaller projects and service work to stay in business which of course adds lag to existing build obligations.

We of course have had some manufacturers/fabricators who have proven VERY reliable in 95% or higher of cases, like MAPerformance. Needless to say, if I plan for my shop to stay in business and us to maintain our reputation, we can't ever rely on Driven Fab again. Too many times let down, too many times being told false promises or excuses, and too much money and time lost to date.

My personal ethics and the way we run our business at the shop mandates 100% transparency, so we're often sharing direct correspondence with us and our vendors to our customers so they understand delays and timelines. Many of our customers can attest to the fact that we look very, very poor when we're constantly battling delays with vendors like this, even though they delays have zero to do with our own business; we're still responsible for the fallout, no matter how clear and honest the explanation is. 9/10 times that there is a delay in a major build or project at WTF, it really is "out of our hands" and that sucks.
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same shit they where pulling few years ago, with nothing changed and now just amplified on a larger scale now that there selling a larger and more expensive product.

I remember when I went public on issues I had with them on the other forums, the following day my PM box was exploded with other people relating to the same issues as I was having. All the same thing.....lack of quality control, poor or no communications, flat out lying about product deadlines or telling that it shipped every Friday for like 6 Fridays in a row when the product probably had not even hit production.

I would have thought as any good business would do to improve on these issue as the years went on but here we are today and its the same old story over and over again.

Business like this need to go out of business already, I understand they are a small operation but there is no excuse for terrible business practice like this.

I feel sorry for people who spent large sums and are going through the same issues again, it is not fun and flat out aggravating. TJ how you manage to run a successful shop while dealing with issues like this is insane, It is damaging to your rep and business. I would have dropped them long ago.
    Last edited by doom26464; 12-08-2016 at 05:01 PM.
    12 GSR-GTX3576R
    Chet Rickerman tuned
    490whp 405wtq

Needless torque tuned

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What bothered me is that he wouldn't own up to the fact that parts were missing out of my turbo kit. They weren't big items but they caused more delays since TJ had to get the parts. His stuff is of high quality for the most part so I'll give him that. His intake for the top mount kit needs re-designed we found and I'm still convinced there is an issue with the top mount manifold design since I was running abnormally high boost pressure on 0% wgdc.
    WTF Built 2.0l

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DereksX View Post
    What bothered me is that he wouldn't own up to the fact that parts were missing out of my turbo kit. They weren't big items but they caused more delays since TJ had to get the parts. His stuff is of high quality for the most part so I'll give him that. His intake for the top mount kit needs re-designed we found and I'm still convinced there is an issue with the top mount manifold design since I was running abnormally high boost pressure on 0% wgdc.
    Yep, there are those issues as well. Probably too many little things for me to recall and document here.

Both might be simple fixes. I know he needs to move the MAF to the top of the intake pipe to fix the IAT spikes between shifts, but I have seen the elevated base boost pressure issue on multiple kits of his now so I just suggest for guys to do a really under-sized spring on their DF EWG kits now.

We manage through it all of course... We make sure to leave no dependencies that we are in control of un-worked - parts get ordered within 1 business day of receiving customer money (this was not the case at the last shop I worked alongside that had serious cash flow issues), we follow up very regularly with our service providers and vendors to keep apprised of potential delays, and we share the absolute truth with our customers. Sometimes, it's hard to buy, and it may seem like we're dropping the ball on our end, but once actual conversations and dates and times are shared with the customer, it becomes clear to them that we do everything in our power to get these big projects knocked out quickly, and go above and beyond trying to mitigate these micro disasters.

I will say to anybody wanting to do a big build on an Evo X (or any similar car), unless you can find a proven place that can do *everything* in house, or has built short blocks and turbo kits on the shelf, you better be prepared for some possible huge delays as vendors like DF and our machinist are simply too unpredictable.

Ryan and DF mean well. He is ambitious and in cases of them forgetting a part or something not fitting correctly, he tries to make it right. His products and actions do show that he values quality over profit, so that is very good. But the miscommunication, false promises, and excuses have got to disappear before he'll be able to be truly successful.

Perhaps he should just be as transparent as we are at WTF so customers really understand upstream dependencies and delays, or maybe not take on business where he knows he can't commit. Sometimes you have to take the financial hit of turning down business... such as been the case since we opened our brick and mortar shop this past Spring. We've actually only taken on two long-running projects (engine/transmission build) since we opened the shop. We just know better now and know not to commit unless we know when something will be done...

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Count me in as a disgruntled owner as well. Still ongoing with mine, same song and dance with the slow parts and missed promised deadlines. I was also missing wastegates, hose clamps, feed line, turbo clamps, and gaskets. I literally had to FORCE the turbo onto the manifold, which in turn stripped out 2 studs (that I had to pay out of pocket to get new ones) IMG_9134.jpgIMG_9133.jpgIMG_9132.jpg. I was having issues with compressor surge so I had to have a external bov added to my licp. I've had lots of help with a tech at Moore getting through small issues with mine. I have a top mount 9174. I was planning on writing a complaint ridden install thread after I got it all running correctly, but this wills suffice. I'm local, I live about a hour away so I traveled down to get the blow off valve welded on, also to rectify issues I was having from my maf being mounted on the underside of the intake. Fred is a good guy I'll admit. My pipes are all powdercoated. Fred wanted to give me a new one and swap it out with mine but Ryan told him no which kind of got under my skin. He admitted negative feedback from numerous customers with the maf, so hers what she's looking like now.IMG_8804.jpgIMG_8822.jpg He was even nice enough to let me remove all the parts in his lot, even told me to bring my own tools... Even if it was his design flaw I would be paying for labor to R&I the parts -_-

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @htquarterblack what housing do you run? I can't find a blanket that will fit snug with my 1.45
    WTF Built 2.0l

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @htquarterblack what housing do you run? I can't find a blanket that will fit snug with my 1.45

here's the pics from our conversation just in-case someone wanted to see

Screen Shot 2016-12-08 at 2.42.58 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-12-08 at 2.44.21 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-12-08 at 2.44.47 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-12-08 at 2.46.05 PM.jpg
    Last edited by htquarterblack; 12-08-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to message him then because my intake needs replaced which I was told he would but I haven't heard from him.
    WTF Built 2.0l

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to message him then because my intake needs replaced which I was told he would but I haven't heard from him.
    He said he was going to send it for sure a few months ago. Then another to us to test out. Never happened. Asked him about it twice.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats your downpipe look like? i believe we have the same kit. they sent me another dp and am having the same problem an 1 1/2 inch short and its hitting the transfer case if i line it up. mid pipe fit oem downpipe.

they did tuck the runner in so the firewall clearance isnt a problem anymore.

driven fab is trying, but this isnt the special olympics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats your downpipe look like? i believe we have the same kit. they sent me another dp and am having the same problem an 1 1/2 inch short and its hitting the transfer case if i line it up. mid pipe fit oem downpipe.

20161208_175625.jpg

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ People.. actually do that? Like thats a thing?

=\

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is pretty messed up

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sigh. Driven Fab finally got the UICP I mentioned that we've been waiting 8 months on shipped today. Promised several times to ship it, but most recently that it would be dropped off Wednesday. Two days late dropping it off, going FedEx Ground even though it's 8 months late. Engine build project is in jeopardy of slipping time line to start the car due to UICP showing up late... great.

Still no shipping confirmation on the latest 9174 kit ordered in August.

I feel like this needs its own thread, but anything I can do to make people aware, I'm going to bitch and moan about it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Move all the comments, make it its own thread, and pin it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to PRI, he has your stuff.
    Last edited by yeayeaatou; 12-09-2016 at 12:52 PM.