User Tag List

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: MITYAZ GSR Build Thread

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experimented a bit with mounting a cooler fan right behind the oil cooler. The radiator fan off of my zx10r fits just right at the bottom back of the cooler. just have to make some aluminum brackets to secure it to the cooler support. This fan will turn on once the oil temp has reached a certain point (215* for example) and will be operated by one of the outputs (GPIO) of the RaceCapture thru a relay.

'11 GSR
    Current
    2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. Self tuned

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you need the fan?
    Even in the middle of a S FL summer, I can let the car idle for ever it seems even with the AC on and I’ve never seen oil temps above 205 and once the car is moving it very quickly drops to 190 or so.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    Why do you need the fan?
    Even in the middle of a S FL summer, I can let the car idle for ever it seems even with the AC on and I’ve never seen oil temps above 205 and once the car is moving it very quickly drops to 190 or so.
    not sure if i need it. Looking at @razorlab hitting 270* on the track i wanted to be ready for it. Im going to the track tomorrow!!! Giggidy giggidy
    '11 GSR
    Current
    2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. Self tuned

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SO....

What a day! Today was my first track day ever. Englishtown road course. temps in the morning were mid 30s, got up to mid 40's noonish. I loved how the car drove and while my technique skill level sucks, i didn't find myself needing more power. I had plenty of power on tap to take on the fastest cars there - porsches, corvettes, mustangs...

My oil temp peaked at 233*F and oil pressure at WOT was 75-79psi at that oil temp. What do you guys think? Reasonable, right?

The two issues i had were the ABS/brake light kept coming on and then during the last two sessions, My AYC/ACD icon started going blank and flashing (the AWD wasn't working). ABS/brake light warning was intermittent, and the AWD issue was also in and out, but it was annoying as hell.
    I never lost any pedal feel and braking felt very sure. Using synthetic DOT4 fluid (not anything fancy)
    The AYC reservoir in the trunk is full of fluid (near max).
    I ran the car with only the first level of traction off (the AYC brake was still operational).

What do you guys think about those issues? Those of you who track (razor, UT, hiboost) what would you guys recommend?

THank you

here is a video of one of the sessions:

https://youtu.be/aJOFhGSc3eA

https://youtu.be/IySmQz-YmaY

Last edited by mityaz; 04-08-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Glad to see you going out to the track with it! Also glad you had fun and drove the car home.

I have a couple observations and suggestions.

It doesn't look like there are a lot of long straights or high power sections of that track so it doesn't surprise me your oil temps weren't very high, also being your first track day, you where using much less throttle than you will once you get more experienced.

Try to not shuffle your hands around the steering wheel so much. Keep them at the same position as much as possible, it will give you better control and you will always know where center is if you get in a "situation". It's hard to tell in the video, but also make sure you are close enough to the steering wheel that your arms are bent a bit even when you have to cross your arms over in tight turns. That will also give you better control.

Your AWD is always working, ACD is only rate of center diff lockup. Not sure why you where getting the light flashing, perhaps you need to bleed the system.

As far as ABS and brake light, it might because you are running the traction not fully off or you where low on fluid in the res.

I always track with everything off so I never see any traction lights or anything.
    Last edited by razorlab; 04-08-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    Nice! Glad to see you going out to the track with it! Also glad you had fun and drove the car home.

I have a couple observations and suggestions.

It doesn't look like there are a lot of long straights or high power sections of that track so it doesn't surprise me your oil temps weren't very high, also being your first track day, you where using much less throttle than you will once you get more experienced.

Try to not shuffle your hands around the steering wheel so much. Keep them at the same position as much as possible, it will give you better control and you will always know where center is if you get in a "situation". It's hard to tell in the video, but also make sure you are close enough to the steering wheel that your arms are bent a bit even when you have to cross your arms over in tight turns. That will also give you better control.

Your AWD is always working, ACD is only rate of center diff lockup. Not sure why you where getting the light flashing, perhaps you need to bleed the system.

As far as ABS and brake light, it might because you are running the traction not fully off or you where low on fluid in the res.

I always track with everything off so I never see any traction lights or anything.
    Thank you for the pointers. I definitely am not very sure of what im doing but i already want to go again.
    The track is definitely on the small side, but at this point its all i know.

As far as AYC/ACD goes... when i took the tcase out for motor swap i lost a bunch of fluid from the line, but when i bled it i only had a very bit of air/fluid come out. Way less than what i would expect the bleeding to produce. I was bleeding it with Tephras application. Now, i am not sure of how exactly the bleeding happens, but this is my understanding: the pump pressurizes the accumulator to a certain level, then the solenoids open and allow the fluid to flow to either ACD or both sides of AYC. I wonder if i can open the solenoids manually by supplying 12V to them or something. My pump is in the trunk so that would be easy. How do you bleed yours, razor?

As far as AWD goes... my res was a bit low, but definitely higher than the MIN mark. Do you think that the AWD brake unit may have overheated from the exhaust manifold/downpipe? @UT_EvoX can you chime in about the above? I also was looking at your heatshield.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    Thank you for the pointers. I definitely am not very sure of what im doing but i already want to go again.
    Hhaha, you got the track bug. Your bank account will never know what hit it.

How do you bleed yours, razor?
    I payed someone to do it. I believe he used the MUT tool.

As far as AWD goes... my res was a bit low, but definitely higher than the MIN mark. Do you think that the AWD brake unit may have overheated from the exhaust manifold/downpipe?
    Are you talking about the ABS unit?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as AWD goes... my res was a bit low, but definitely higher than the MIN mark. Do you think that the AWD brake unit may have overheated from the exhaust manifold/downpipe?
    Are you talking about the ABS unit?[/QUOTE]

Shit, i meant to say ABS unit

'11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    Seconding this. Eliminate the tendency to shuffle steer early on, you will thank yourself later. Much easier to catch the car with consistent hand position as well, once you get to the point you are riding the limit of the tire. You want to have 9 and 3 hand position. Also noticed a lot of one handed driving. Once done with the shift you want to get back to 2 hands on the wheel, not drive with one hand on the shifter. Now is the time to form good habits, with a good foundation good lap times come easily later.

Also didn't look like their was an instructor in the car (could be wrong), not sure if that was the case for just that session or the whole day. Early on learning to track the car, it is a big help to have an instructor in car, so look for track days that offer that in the future.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely am not very sure of what im doing but i already want to go again.
    Finally get to enjoy all of that work. Not gonna lie, I'm a little jealous. That's awesome dude.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mityaz

Look at Chin, NASA NE, APEX or any of the marque clubs for track days. Got a ton of good options for tracks here in the Northeast. I would suggest looking at NJMP. Good track for learning. motorsportreg.com is a good site to find track days.
    Last edited by zabes; 04-09-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @AdamEvo

Thank you for pointers. This session i did not have an instructor. I did have an instructor for 2 out of 5 sessions tho. The help that they offer is tremendous. I want to drive as much with instructor as possible.

@MetalAF Thanks man. Im giggidy myself!

@zabes

Are you local? I would love to join some of these clubs. Will start looking into it. Shoot me a PM if anything. THanks
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, so I am planning to do a write up for this... but i figured out a way on how to force bleed the ACD/AYC system very efficiently. And without any software (I did use tephra's tool to pressurize the accumulator, but i didn't have to).

So, i pulled out one of my spare AYC pumps (i have two extras) to study it more and to test the solenoids. All of the solenoids have the same plugs on them. One of the three solenoids has a second smaller plug on it. I haven't figured out second third plug yet but it related to the AYC (my priority was to bleed ACD for now).

The solenoids receive 12V to allow the high pressure fluid to flow into the lines from the accumulator. So waht i did was used a spare connector from one of the pumps. One lead of the connector goes directly to the positive of the battery. The other lead (negative) was made VERY long so that it could reach all the way to the transfer case and be grounded by me as I am opening the bleeder screw.

So you can either use tephras tool or direct 12V to the pumps motor to build up accumulator pressure. Do not run the motor for more than 2-3secs as that's roughly how long the motor is turned on automatically to get the accumulator up to pressure. Make sure to monitor the fluid level in the reservoir.
    Then connect the new connector and go under the car to bleed the system. Ground the Negative of the solenoid to the closest bolt under the car while your other hand is on the bleeder screw. You will hear the solenoid click. Once it clicks you open the bleeded.

This worked beautifully. I queefed so much air out that i am surprised that the AWD light wasn't coming on earlier in my track day. I had to top off the fluid a few times. It purged a lot of air.

Here is a picture of the connector:
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The nice thing about Tephra’s tool is that it automatically pulses the pump for you

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    The nice thing about Tephra’s tool is that it automatically pulses the pump for you
    It does. But it doesn't open solenoids lol

'11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @AdamEvo

Thank you for pointers. This session i did not have an instructor. I did have an instructor for 2 out of 5 sessions tho. The help that they offer is tremendous. I want to drive as much with instructor as possible.

@MetalAF Thanks man. Im giggidy myself!

@zabes

Are you local? I would love to join some of these clubs. Will start looking into it. Shoot me a PM if anything. THanks
    Sorta local, up in Boston. Also, all the clubs I mentioned provide instructors so are a great way to learn good habits. Most of the instructors run with multiple clubs. Like I said, you have your pick of tracks in the Northeast: Lime Rock, Palmer, NJMP, Watkins Glen, Summit Point, TSMP, NHMS, Pocono, etc.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My advice is to find a spec Miata driver that is quick and follow them through curves. I never realized how much time I was losing into and through turns until I started watching spec Miatas.

That is, IF you can follow them...

And be careful about following other people. You have an AWD car and the line for an Evo is nothing like the line for a rear wheel drive car. It seems to be human nature to follow the car ahead.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I am very much green at this with a lot to learn.

Can you elaborate more about AWD vs other (FWD or RWD) lines?
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just registered for another event at NJMP! Much larger track. I have a full day with an instructor!
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just registered for another event at NJMP! Much larger track. I have a full day with an instructor!
    NJMP is a nice facility and both lighting and thunderbolt are fun tracks in different ways. Which club are you going with?

Also, what pads and brake fluid are running right now?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zabes View Post
    NJMP is a nice facility and both lighting and thunderbolt are fun tracks in different ways. Which club are you going with?

Also, what pads and brake fluid are running right now?
    Im running with NASA.

Fluid is Valvoline Dot 4 synthetic (from autozone). Pads are St43s front and rear on stock rotors. I do have a set of Girodisk 2 piece rotors laying around.

I have already ordered Castrol SRF Dot 4 racing fluid (pretty expensive lol) so that will be going in prior to next track day.

What would be your recommendations?
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemuth View Post
    And be careful about following other people. You have an AWD car and the line for an Evo is nothing like the line for a rear wheel drive car. It seems to be human nature to follow the car ahead.
    All of THIS!!!

The lines AND braking compared to the typical LS guys are completely different

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SRF is a good brake fluid. I use torque RT700 which is similar. Both are better than motul's offerings imo and last way longer before needing to be replaced.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright,

So I've pressure bled the brakes with the new SRF fluid. Made sure to let the lines run for a bit so that it replaced the fluid in the system completely. Not sure how much the system takes, but i ran about 600ml thru it.

Bled and refilled the ACD/ACD system.

Mounted and wired up the oil cooler fan. The current set up is for the fan to turn on after the oil temp has reached 210*F. THis is operated by GPIO2 pin on the Racecapture. The fan is wired thru a relay and a 15A fuse. I tried turning the wheels left and right to make sure the tire is not pushing on the fan and its clear of it. The fan blows a bunch of air when activated.

This is the video of the fan in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2JmZuJwijk

And some pics of the set up:

'11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, I am very much green at this with a lot to learn.

Can you elaborate more about AWD vs other (FWD or RWD) lines?
    RWD drivers tend to apex later and brake harder to set up a straight line out of the turn so they can put the power down. If you put on the power while still turning, the rear end just walks around and time is lost. An AWD car can apex early and use power to pull the car into the turn. AWD can put on the power down much earlier due to more traction.
    The finger cannot point at itself.