Results 1,126 to 1,136 of 1136

Thread: MITYAZ GSR Build Thread

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    I would say give it more 2* more timing and see how far that drops temps. On E85 mbt should be in the 20-21* range at 8500-9000rpm, so you should be good at 18-19 to test.
    20-21* with S2's and 10:1 CR?

Lol
    But yeah I’ve done the tests on 2 of my setups. And as you can see from the above logs I was running 19* at 9000 at 40lbs because it still made more power at 20 and then only gained 3hp at 21.
    Yeah obviously all in don’t give a fuck tune but my point to him is to do it for testing purposes.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, i dont know how you guys are running 9-10* at MBT and 18-20* up top. I get knock all thru the boost range. At first i thought it a mechanical flapping of the WG flap because it seemed to be consistent thru the whole pull once the peak boost was achieved. That pull was done on lowest possible WGA preload of about 2mm (yielded about 27-29psi). So i tightened up the spring a bit - now around 30-31psi. The knock seemed to have stayed. I am now reducing timing a bit and seeing what happens to knock. It seems that the sweet spot for me is 5-6* at MBT and about 14-15* at 8500RPM. Anything more than that seems to be knocking. I was thinking about taking one of the 5psi springs out of my WGA to make it a 21psi actuator (vs current 26psi) so that i can actually run some WGDC to dial in level boost, as now its only spring pressure.

I've also moved my injectors around based on my EGT data and injector flow sheet. I now have my EGTs a lot closer together.

Here is a 2nd-3rd-3rd pull. What do you guys think? Look at that knock pattern. Almost looks like the second that ECU is advancing timing the knock increases (or maybe im just making it up).

https://datazap.me/u/mityaz/274-2-3-...zoom=1020-2063
    '11 GSR
    Current
    2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. Self tuned

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know I’m not alone in this one so I hope the other 5 people that read this forum chime in as well. I’ve pushed PASS MBT on e85 without encountering knock, even at highish boost levels.
    But I did this on the dyno and a calibrated knock system so it’s very very likely that your knock is not real as I know you’ve done all your tuning on the street and you simply won’t be able to calibrate the knock system like that and you certainly won’t find mbt either.

But this is not about me recomending you to run all the timing, is simply my opinion or suggestion as to what I would do to find the cause of your crazy high egt readings.
    Or just disconnect those fuckers and let it ride lol

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THe knock calibration that you are talking about.. Is it the Motec?

The guys from EGT did say that these probes are very fast reacting probes. And they supply these probes to a lot of the competition level teams. Maybe this has something to do with this?

Lets say the knock goes away completely if i drop the timing down even more, would that mean that it in fact was real knock?
    '11 GSR
    Current
    2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. Self tuned

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion, is that there is no way I would run that kind of timing with the setup you have.

I also like my motors to stay in one piece even though my motor has been apart longer than it has been together the last two years.

Like Black E stated, E85 can be pushed past MBT without knock, although I have yet to really see that on the 4b11 but did see it all the time on the 4G63.
    Last edited by razorlab; Yesterday at 05:57 PM.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion, is that there is no way I would run that kind of timing with the setup you have.

I also like my motors to stay in one piece even though my motor has been apart longer than it has been together the last two years.

Like Black E stated, E85 can be pushed past MBT without knock, although I have yet to really see that on the 4b11 but did see it all the time on the 4G63.
    I do have some breathing mods - head porting, 2.75" piping, 5" IC, 3.5" DP... so maybe my 30psi is different from someone else's...

From what you've seen with 4b11s, what would you guestimate my timing should be at mbt and at 8500RPM? At 30psi of boost lets say.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post

From what you've seen with 4b11s, what would you guestimate my timing should be at mbt and at 8500RPM? At 30psi of boost lets say.
    ?? there is no "at MBT and at 8500rpm" MBT is MBT at each tick of RPM and at each throttle plate angle. Don't confuse MBT for peak torque. Think of it as a 3D table with RPM and TPS on the axis and values in the table.

The Bosch MED ecus found in VW, Ford, Mercedes, etc all have this modeled on tables like I just described and interpolate based on knock sensor activity and other things.

The only way to find true MBT for your current motor setup (which will be different than OEM MBT) is to get it on a dyno and add timing until little or no power is gained and back off from that.

For WOT, it's time consuming, for overall engine operation, it takes a long time but can be modeled decently without having to do all the load cels.

If I had to guesstimate it's probably between what you are currently running and what Black E suggested.

On stock 4b11 engines with everything internal stock and stock turbo and stock rev limiter, MBT is around 7* to 21*, modeled on a load bearing dyno.

As a reminder, everyone thought I was running way too little timing (5* at 4500, 14* at 8500) and then I got the car on a real dyno and people where surprised at the power it was making, more than the setup should be. From what I saw on the dyno, it's about 3-4* off MBT.
    Last edited by razorlab; Today at 06:39 AM.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^thank you. Yes, i meant peak torque. As i am not tuning on the dyno (not yet at least) i am trying to get close to what it likely wants and err on the safer side. Max break torque is a dyno only thing.

Any comments about that knock pattern?

'11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw your edit.
    So MBT for you would be 8-9* --> 17-18* roughly. How do you make sure its not knocking?

'11 GSR
    Current

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you make sure its not knocking?
    Normally you would use det cans on the dyno.

I thought you set up that cool digital det can software + bosch knock sensor?

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you make sure its not knocking?
    Normally you would use det cans on the dyno.

I thought you set up that cool digital det can software + bosch knock sensor?
    yea, i did some pulls with the software running. There a bunch of pulls where the waveform in the software shows roughly uniform noise but my log is reporting knock up to 4 counts. There is also a pull in 3rd gear where i can distinctly note 4 spikes in the filtered waveform but then i realized that i didn't log that pull. All that was on the same ROM that the most recent log was posted from.
    '11 GSR
    Current