User Tag List

Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: MITYAZ GSR Build Thread

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    Boost is close to 35psi in third and 30+ in 4th.
    You really are asking for trouble with that kind of boost on the track. Why do you want to run so much? You are needlessly stressing the system. Turn it down and learn the car and track driving. You see in my videos I don't have problem with heavy artillery, I'm in expert/advanced group and I'm running "only" 24-25psi.
    Last edited by razorlab; 05-08-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    See, I dont know if my issue is airflow. I have a radiator fan behind the cooler sucking air thru it. Not sure though
    I should have mentioned this before but that fan isn't doing crap once the car is moving and is most likely causing a flow restriction out the back. The main thing it will do is pull heat from the exchanger at idle or low speeds. Basically in the pits after the session.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @zabes what you are saying about air flow restriction is plausible. I did cut out all of the plastic rectangles on the fender liner immediately behind the cooler. I do, however, have a fan there. And like @razorlab is saying, the fan may be an impediment to air flow. I'm just not sure here. The fan is pretty "see thru" and when its on it blows quite hard. Maybe the answer is to make a duct that attaches to fog light holes and is sealed around the cooler (as opposed to that half ass factory duct that only covers half of the cooler).
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mounted the secondary cooler. With some basic aluminum fabrication and a few hours time, the cooler is mounted and is awaiting plumbing. All that arrives in a few days.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, make another set of mounts for me.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ move to NJ, ill even install it for you hahaha

So, after having ideas simmer in my head for a bit, i've decided to make a poor man's heat shield for the exhaust parts. It certainly won't be as nice as razor's but it's also not gonna cost as much. The pictures in that link show some pretty cool ideas on how you can wrap headers and downpipe. The idea here (for me at least) is to make something "removable". My downpipe is so fat that i have trouble snaking it into place as is.

https://www.jegs.com/i/DEI/186/05051...yABEgK10PD_BwE
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning project: Oil cooler ducts. Not sure if you guys are gonna laugh at me...

I was debating on the materials for this, and decided to use polystyrene insulation material. I've also covered all the surfaces with industrial film tape. The structure came out very rigid. I have yet to add a few aluminum brackets around the area where the duct mounts to the cooler. I've reinforced the corners by circumferentially wrapping tape around the structure. I cant imagine it inflating and bursting. I guess time will show. The best part - it weighs next to nothing!!

'11 GSR

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever works. I was thinking the same but with the plastic rigid honeycomb sheets.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coughed up a few bucks and bought some action photos.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mityaz

Anything I should know about swapping out the oil thermostat? Looks easy to me but you never know. Is it in the filter housing as tight as that $*&#! blank plug was?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mityaz

Is that the instructor in the car with you? If so, are you guys not running any comms?

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics look awesome! Love the black/gold theme you got going.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    @mityaz

Anything I should know about swapping out the oil thermostat? Looks easy to me but you never know. Is it in the filter housing as tight as that $*&#! blank plug was?
    Are you swapping for another stock like one?

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    @mityaz

Are you swapping for another stock like one?
    Was going to try out the HKS unit

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is very tight. I would do it from the bottom with a deep socket and a breaker bar

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mityaz

yes, its pretty tight in there. you need a very thin walled socket to get to it nicely. I was able to break mine loose with a spanner wrench (kinda dangerous). And i was able to do that from the top (my hands/arms are always scratched up from this damn car).

The HKS thermostat also has a reasonably stiffer spring that helps direct oil thru the long route. I am even considering shimming that spring to make it even more stiff.

And BTW it's not nearly as tight as that blank plug. that thing gave me nightmares

Pics look awesome! Love the black/gold theme you got going.
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamEvo View Post
    @mityaz

Is that the instructor in the car with you? If so, are you guys not running any comms?
    Yes, that's an instructor. We usually have the hook up for communication but not this time.
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tips on oil thermostat.

Instructor should still be able to give you good instruction with hand signals. I instructed for a couple years until I had a couple scares and realized that’s not the way I wanted to go out.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made progress on the car today/yesterday. The extended m18x1.5 banjo bolts fitted with dual banjo 10AN fittings. That was the easy part...

As i started my project of heat shielding the hot parts i went to take my downpipe out. I NO BULLSHIT spent 1.5hrs trying to get it out. It's a v-band on both ends... I was fucking furious. I guess it settled in after a few heat cycles and distorted just enough to not be able to come out the top. I had my girl choreographing the movements as i was laying under the car persuading it to come out. It was fucking something. In the end my girlfriend pitched an idea to take it out from the back. It required to lift the front of the car like 17 feet high, but eventually i took it out from the bottom (it went in from the top).

So i started making a heatshield from this new stuff i got from DEI. Im all itchy to shit. THe plan is to have a two-part shield. The one in the picture (the bottom piece) will be on the DP before it goes back in from the bottom. The top piece (not made yet) will be placed onto the DP after it's in place. THe heatshield is riveted together but will be held circumferentially by a few steel ties. I really like how it's coming out.
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahahh that bloody thumb nail is like everything about modifying these cars! Lol

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahahh that bloody thumb nail is like everything about modifying these cars! Lol
    haha you're right! I just saw that. Yes, i never have pristine looking hands with this thing!
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a struggle it was to get the downpipe back into the car. The 3.5'' DP plus heat shielding around it is not quite the recommended size for the space. I ended up using the boost resource condom for the manifold. Its actually a VERY nice fit. It tucks everything in very nicely. Originally i was going to make a heatshield for the manifold from the same stuff as the downpipe, but i will leave that project for the time when i take the manifold (engine maybe) out.

All of the parts came in for the secondary cooler now. Hopefully will plumb it all today. Track time Sunday!

This pic is of the shielding that was on the DP prior to inserting it from the bottom (note the distortion in the shape of the pipe itself). The rest of the shielding goes on top of the pipe once it's in place

'11 GSR

Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a reason why you didn't use a -AN Y fitting at the filter housing instead of stacking those two fittings?

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a reason why you didn't use a -AN Y fitting at the filter housing instead of stacking those two fittings?
    there isn't a solid reason, just what was available to me from online research. My primary goal was to minimize bends and have the least pressure drop possible. I was reading an article about bends and flow and it talked about how each bend adds a few PSI drop to outlet pressure. Because of this i wanted the feed and return from the housing to face in the direction that they need to go. If i could get a monstrous double -10AN doughnut i would rather prefer that, but i couldnt find anything like that in 10AN and m18 internal hole size.

I was also considering getting an M18 to -12AN straight fitting that screws right into the block, then getting a -12AN to double -10AN Y-splitter. But this would introduce a height restriction and directional restriction. if only someone made a -12AN to double -10AN splitter where the -12AN end does a 90 degree turn AND where the -10AN ends are at like 145* apart (not the 35* that they usually are on a Y-splitter...)

What are your thoughts?
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you wrap just the bottom on the DP? The first few bend are the hottest spot of the post turbo exhaust.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you wrap just the bottom on the DP? The first few bend are the hottest spot of the post turbo exhaust.
    no, the bottom part is the only part that i could put onto the DP prior to "insertion". Once the DP is in place the other shield goes on it from the top. I didn't get to that part yet. Thats today hopefully
    '11 GSR