Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1471

Thread: MITYAZ GSR Build Thread

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mityaz View Post
    @razorlab thank you for that, what is your wheel offset?
    +30 and I run a 12mm spacer in front for wider track, even though I only need a 5mm for strut clearance. No spacer on rear.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razorlab View Post
    +30 and I run a 12mm spacer in front for wider track, even though I only need a 5mm for strut clearance. No spacer on rear.
    Thanks. Can you compare the nt01 to the r7 tire?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    '11 GSR
    current: same exact as last. new block, new head. no kaboom yet.

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Can you compare the nt01 to the r7 tire?
    Haven't ran the R7's yet.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R7 is faster than an NT01 but will wear faster.

Generally speaking:
    RE71R Fastest 200TW tire. Good for where class rules limit you to 200TW tires.
    NT01 or Maxxis RC1. 100TW. Entry level R-comp. Absolute pace is probably around what an RE71R does but doesn't fall off during a session, handles heat better like Razorlab said. A solid choice for HPDE.
    Hoosier R7. 40 TW. These will be the fastest but you won't get as many sessions our of them as you would an NT01 or RC1. Also cost about 50% more. Not really worth it unless you are competing.

Also you will find Hoosiers have less audible feedback and cover up a lot of mistakes, they are not great for learning to drive. Also they don't like as much slip angle as you can get away with on a street tire.

Take a look at what Vorshlag is doing. They are running RE71R's and R7's on their TT3 Mustang, regularly publishing results comparing the 2. Typically they run RE71R's one day and R7's the next to compare the performance. (or even swapping tire the same day).

Post1.1Figure5.jpg

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    r7 will def be the faster tire if that's what you're looking for. But it will fall off and heat cycle out far earlier than the nt01 like adam said.

Mentioned
    203 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good friend of mine ran the re71r for a good while and was very successful in the 200tw limited classes. This year he switched to the Advan ao52 mainly because he got a sponsorship but he’s saying that it is a better tire then the re71r with slightly better grip, handles heat better and lasts 1/3 longer.
    He really thinks they’re worth the extra $100

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems that most of you guys' consensus (consensi?) is not to go with hoosier just yet. it appears that hoosier provides the best lateral grip but only at a very narrow slip angle and, thus, is hard to modulate. It does sound like the R7 tire may be a bit too early for me in my "career". Although, if there was a perfect car to try the race slicks on Evo would probably be closest to it. Something like a corvette would probably be a death trap in my hands.
    I don't care about early wear so much as i do about the feel of "certainty" in a turn that is consistent thru my 20min session. As razor has mentioned, i think my RE71r are getting greasy, as i notice that the first few laps don't show understeer quite as much. But i've also had quite a few track days on these RE71r (close to 7 or 8), so maybe they have heat cycled out by now.
    '11 GSR

2.05L/darton,ProH,CP 10:1 w/Ultimate pins. IWG9174 .92. GSC-S2. 4P head +1mm In/Ex. <--KABOOM (blown HG)

Past: 2.4L,Manley94,Pro-H,Wiseco,10:1,Darton,4P head,GSC all,Supertec valves,FR 9174 IWG .92,2x450 Walbro/EP control,ID1700,Flex,OSGiken triple. <--KABOOM (spun rod bearing)

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems that most of you guys' consensus (consensi?) is not to go with hoosier just yet. it appears that hoosier provides the best lateral grip but only at a very narrow slip angle and, thus, is hard to modulate. It does sound like the R7 tire may be a bit too early for me in my "career". Although, if there was a perfect car to try the race slicks on Evo would probably be closest to it. Something like a corvette would probably be a death trap in my hands.
    I don't care about early wear so much as i do about the feel of "certainty" in a turn that is consistent thru my 20min session. As razor has mentioned, i think my RE71r are getting greasy, as i notice that the first few laps don't show understeer quite as much. But i've also had quite a few track days on these RE71r (close to 7 or 8), so maybe they have heat cycled out by now.
    You are absolutely right. I've been tracking for over fifteen years now and I still run "just" R-compounds and not slicks.

One part of your thinking I will correct you on is thinking that the Evo is a better platform to jump to slicks on. I disagree. The Evo will actually give you even more of a false sense of confidence and once slicks snap, they snap and you are basically along for the ride, no matter what chassis you are using.

I urge you to take a couple more glances at the photos of the wrecked cars you have from your last track weekend.

FYI, I love the NT01's and I will continue to use them until I finally go to a R7 or the like. The NT01's are honestly the best HPDE tire overall.

The better thing to do is figure out your pressures and such. What hot pressures are you currently running with the RE71's? Your understeer could be a combo of alot of things. The first things I would look at are hot pressures and over driving the car. Also, if you got 7 to 8 track days on RE71's on a Evo, you aren't even close to driving the car/tires to their full potential. Which is totally fine for where you are at experience wise.

B
    Last edited by razorlab; 05-07-2019 at 06:59 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    B,
    i am targeting 37-38psi hot on the tires. With this last track day where i stiffened the rear spring it improved the understeer quite a bit. interestingly, i went down in hot pressures (34-35psi) as suggested by some people on the track and the handling went down significantly. once back to 37-38 hot it was a lot more pleasant in the corners.
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 to everything Razorlab said. Really on the money.

Target tire pressure depends on a lot of different variables, car weight, which tire, tire fitment on the wheel, etc... so there will be no one size fits all answer for that.

If you have adjustable sway bars, you can also always adjust those at the track to fine tune the handling as well.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel you there. Dropped my RE71R pressures from 38 psi to 34 psi, and man they did not like it. Didn't have any tire fold, but was running the rough edge down a bit. Bumped back up to 38 and got my oversteer back. At 34 she was way too unpredictable.

Sucks when your co-driver beats your time.....

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run Michelin SC2's and Hoosiers. The Michelins are about as easy to deal with as any tire I have used--very predictable and consistent. They don't make a peep and are not crazy loose when cold.

The Hoosiers just have a lot of grip. So much so that they inspire confidence, perhaps too much confidence. The tire is much more subtle about communicating it's limit and the window around the limit is narrow. If you don't have a refined sense of what the car is doing, the tire just breaks loose without bothering to let you know.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mnemuth what pressures are you targeting on hoosiers? R7s i assume. Since it's a "softer tire" than a street tire, do you need more pressure in those?
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mnemuth what pressures are you targeting on hoosiers? R7s i assume. Since it's a "softer tire" than a street tire, do you need more pressure in those?
    The car isn't exactly light at 3,400 lbs. It depends on the circumstances but 36-38 psi hot is where I usually end up.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too found 36-37 PSI hot to be the sweet spot on my 200 tw tires. Tire pressures are more dictated by weight than anything else.

On your first set of tires, you're going to be doing a lot of 'shake down' type activities, so performance won't matter as much as the tire's bang-for-buck. That being said, there's nothing better than the federal 595 rsr. I can't recall what stage you're currently at in the build, and i might be confusing you with someone else who just did a massive rework of their suspension...... but if you're not being timed i find the federals hard to beat.

As far as maximum grip in 200 tw tires? I heard some guys on the west coast also discovered the advan a052's to be better than the re71 in every single metric (except price). So that's probably your go-to. If you want more grip, i agree with the consensus on nt-01's. I honestly feel there's NO need to go with hoosiers unless you're being timed. They require so much more, in terms of $$ and logistics in terms of extra sets of rims, carting those rims to the track, etc. I don't feel its worth the effort unless you're being timed. And if you are, A7's all the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC View Post
    Technically speaking, modding cars is a "waste of money." But here we all are. On a car forum. Modifying our cars
    Racing cars makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to update everyone on my progress.

Did a track day at Poconos Raceway. Great track running double infields. Total length is 3.5mi. Ran the car hard all day. Was faster than most of the people on there. Then at the end of the day they closed off the infields and we ran the NASCAR trioval. I've never done a fast track like that and i did a top speed of 177mph.
    Good day overall.

Now to the finale...

As we all know that everything good must come to an end (especially evos), the motor is done. Did a warm compression test and Cyl 3 is now down to 90psi. Leak down is insane (like 70%). Other cylinders are down too. 120-135-90-140. Also i tested the top speed for the axle boot to withstand. THe passenger front inboard boot popped right as i was going 177mph. all i see is a puff of smoke coming from under the hood. I was thinking that here we go again, another oil spill. But no, gauges stayed good and i coasted into the pits. The grease from the boot got on the manifold and that's what caused the puff.

So, long story short... I think that's it for me. Even if i just needed a new head job/valves, im tired of fixing it. The question now becomes what to get next. So far i was thinking a corvette or a gt3.
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a video from pocono raceway running in the trioval config

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-YpLOS3Fb8
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer to hear that. How was Pocono before the trioval config? It's only 1.5hrs from my new place in NJ.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer to hear that. How was Pocono before the trioval config? It's only 1.5hrs from my new place in NJ.
    I enjoyed it. here is the video of the pre-trioval.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjGsfZ2mUeU
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a video from pocono raceway running in the trioval config

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-YpLOS3Fb8
    Anything popping like that while going that fast gets scary. 177 is pretty awesome though. An Evo is a little high-strung for an oval track.

Can't blame you for wanting to try something new. This would be the 3rd rebuild, right?

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. I'll have to check that track out.

Lol, what group where you in? The other people on track in that video looked like they had no idea how to drive.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't really see much in the video, but i saw a puff of smoke and burnt smell and i was ready for a spin out lol. but not today death, not today.

This current motor is my 3rd built motor (or 4th overall as im not counting the original stock motor that i actully sold running). If I build it again it would be my 4th lol.

Judging from the lack of interest from tirekickers on FB it appears that i will have to fix this thing.

I wish someone could see the value in it. It really has all the top notch parts and the motor can be refreshed for literally a few hundred bucks if you remove/install yourself. All of the internals are good. A set of valves is a few hundred, a valve job another few. Hell, even honing and new rings and bearings (since you are in there) would only be another few hundred.

People dont realize that all those parts cost a lot of money. But if I end up fixing, i will probably part out a lot of the built stuff like my trans and t-case. hell, was even thinking of putting the whole thing back to stock as I do have a complete stock long block sitting in my garage.

IDK, i need to sleep on it for some time.
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol, what group where you in? The other people on track in that video looked like they had no idea how to drive.
    I was in the advanced group. Some of them should not have been there hahaha. There was this z06 running R7s and i couldn't catch it. he passed me and kept putting more and more distance on me. but 95% of cars in my group were slower than me.
    '11 GSR

Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in the advanced group. Some of them should not have been there hahaha. There was this z06 running R7s and i couldn't catch it. he passed me and kept putting more and more distance on me. but 95% of cars in my group were slower than me.
    What organization did you go with? Yea, most of those drivers def should not have been in that group.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What organization did you go with? Yea, most of those drivers def should not have been in that group.
    This was my first time with HOD. I started getting sick of NASA as it seems like they dont care about HPDE much and clutter the day with qualifying sessions and races. HPDE only days are nice tho. MOE is also very good in this area in terms of track time. NJMP should be close to you as well (i am guessing 2hrs)
    '11 GSR