User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Mnemuth's Monster Truck Build

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemuth View Post
    I'm thinking about gauges and so forth. This came to mind as a possible all-in-one solution:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...hp?recfer=8241

Thoughts?
    Seems REALLY expensive even including all the sensors. There’s a few fully programable dashes out there that would save you a good amount and look better IMO.
    Are you using the oem GM ecu to run the engine?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnemuth View Post
    I'm thinking about gauges and so forth. This came to mind as a possible all-in-one solution:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...hp?recfer=8241

Thoughts?
    Seems REALLY expensive even including all the sensors. There’s a few fully programable dashes out there that would save you a good amount and look better IMO.
    Are you using the oem GM ecu to run the engine?
    Yes, I am using the OEM ECU. The gauge cluster is now reading from the CAN for the gauges (Dakota Digital).

I have the Holley 7" touch screen that can be plugged into the CAN for engine parameters. I can also get a harness for custom gauges and it is highly configurable with a laptop.

I prefer to have a redundant system of sensors. I also want fuel pressure/temperature, hydraulic fluid temperature, transmission temperature, rear differential temperature (for hauling, I do not currently have a cooler). Of course, I could build a console and roll my own: individual gauge/circuit for each sensor.

I am currently wrestling a few DTCs. The wiring harness has a connection for ignition on, vehicle speed sensor, clutch up, fuse block power, and power to the fuel pump...not exactly a challenge by any means. I turned the ignition on and checked for codes and got P023F, P2128, P2122. Brand new OEM engine and harness and it doesn't even work. I could have the wrong pedal, which would account for the last two DTCs. I ordered another fuel pressure sensor for the P023F code. The sensor is getting a good ground and +5 vdc. I even put a ZL1 pump in the surge tank just to be safe.

This kind of crap isn't limited to the Evo platform. It is inherent to the enterprise.

I was thinking about aircraft electronics because I'm lazy and it seemed a simpler to install solution--no engineering required. And, I would suspect it would be nearly impossible to kill that type of package, no matter how much off road punishment it receives.

Look better? C'mon, airplane cockpit style is all business. In fact, I've been considering rebuilding the interior to resemble a cockpit. No gay.
    The finger cannot point at itself.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe there’s some incompatibility with the ZL1 pump module and the Z06 ECU? I know the high pressure pumps are the same but the low side aren’t.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used the part number given in the documentation that came with the crate engine. I had a Walbro 450 in there and I had the same trouble. I even bought another fuel pump controller module with no difference (but I might have to get the new controller mated to the ECU?).

I put together some water pipes. I think they turned out well. I'll have them powder coated with a crinkle finish.

KIMG0296.jpg

Test fits.

KIMG0292.jpg

KIMG0293.jpg

I have no idea why it rotated the pictures. Cock your head to the left, I guess.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not sure how it is with the Gen V ECU but in mine with the Gen IV the new fuel pump controller would have to be coded in for it to work. Also my controller can’t handle the current demand from a aftermarket pump

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Black E View Post
    I’m not sure how it is with the Gen V ECU but in mine with the Gen IV the new fuel pump controller would have to be coded in for it to work. Also my controller can’t handle the current demand from a aftermarket pump
    I guess some folks use the stock controller with a stock pump in conjunction with a hobbs switch for a secondary pump. How are you doing it?

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m using a setup like you just described, this one:
    https://dsxtuning.com/collections/au...3-corvette-zr1

And he makes them for C7’s, ZL1’s etc as well

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the auxiliary pump and 1300cc injectors I have plenty of fuel even on e85

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the wiring sorted out. The GM Performance controller had pins in the wrong socket on the accelerator pedal, what a pain. I installed a 128K pulse/mile speed sensor and voila, no more limp mode.

This thing is stupid. It has torque like a diesel. If I give it more than half throttle, it smokes the clutch. I guess a twin disk is in order.

Nice street manners, torque, fuel efficiency, and she screams.