User Tag List

Thread: Defi vs AEM boost gauge (over 30psi only)

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Defi vs AEM boost gauge (over 30psi only)

I've been using a Defi gauge for 5 years, thing has always worked great. Im starting to think the gauge has become faulty because in 3rd i will stay stuck at 26psi then at the top of the power band it will shoot to 30+, yet i cannot physically feel this difference at all. Been doing a shit load of logs (20+ so far) with chet and he's not seeing this either, so i'm convinced the gauge itself is just finally giving away. It IS mechanical (and sort of electronic).

I need something that will go over 30PSI.

Right now i'm looking at the Defi 45psi one (https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...ge-52mm-45-psi) or an AEM 35psi one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DX7KMY...CG4D1G6P0N8ASZ).

I think i'd prefer to use the Defi one because I'm already really familiar with the wiring, and electronic stuff makes my head fucking explode. I also LOVE how PERFECT it matches the stock instrument cluster (mines an 08), and its not blaring bright at night. Its easier to find issues / leaks etc if its a smooth sweeping needle as opposed to just a number flashing at you. Still, anyone want to convince me to not go with it? I dont plan on using either for logging.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried replacing the boost sensor? And where do you have it mounted? I'd start there before buying a whole new gauge kit.

I swear by Defi gauges because they've always been great quality, function well, and they look awesome in our cars (and Subarus). Unfortunately, I'm kind of in the same boat with my boost gauge, but mine doesn't randomly spike like yours. Sometimes I'll hit 30+ psi during a highway pull which puts my defi CR gauge into some kind of limp mode. The gauge needle drops to the bottom and the warning light starts flashing and doesn't stop. The gauge illumination doesn't change, though.

The only way to get the gauge to work normally again is to shut the car off and turn it back on, which I don't really want to do while cruising on the freeway. I can't really figure out why it's happening, but I think it's due to the way Defi's warnings work. I have the warning level maxed out at 28.99psi and I'm guessing the boost gauge short circuits if it goes over that. I haven't been able to find any actual documentation on the issue though. If anyone else has info on what's causing this and how to stop it, or even a better way to reset the gauge after it happens, please let me know!

The only solutions I can think of are to wire a switch to the 12v source (would only be a quick fix for resetting the gauges after the issue occurs), or getting a higher psi gauge. I want to stick with Defi gauges because I love the current setup I have with the ZD, but it looks like the only Advance series boost gauges they offer over 29psi are 60mm (BF and the new A1). I don't think I can get 60mm gauges to fit in the CPE pod with the ZD... The CR gauges are 52mm and there isn't much room between them.
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mines just the regular "red racer", so it doesnt have any settings or anything. It does those sweeper checks when i first power them up, and they work/checkout, but im also maxing this thing out past what its rated for. Not sure if it doesnt like that or something. Mine is mounted a few inches to the left of the brake fluid reservoir, on the firewall. Its aways away from the manifold.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, your gauge is not mechanical, it is electronic, but analogic, not digital (the AEM is digital). A mechanical gauge if fed directly by a pressure hose in the back.

I own a 30 PSI Defi Racer and I'm helping a friend who owns an AEM boost gauge. I would buy another Defi if I were you. The AEM gauge more inaccurate, slow and difficult to read when driving. The only digital AEM I would recommend is the AFR gauge.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete69916 View Post
    Mines just the regular "red racer", so it doesnt have any settings or anything. It does those sweeper checks when i first power them up, and they work/checkout, but im also maxing this thing out past what its rated for. Not sure if it doesnt like that or something. Mine is mounted a few inches to the left of the brake fluid reservoir, on the firewall. Its aways away from the manifold.
    That's where I put my sensor, too. I haven't had any issues with mine so that probably isn't what's causing your boost spikes on the gauge either. Your best bet will probably be to go with the 45psi Defi racer gauge.
    @stephenemersondickens
    2012 PBP Evo X GSR
    WTF Tuned | Flex Fuel | Full ETS Bolt-Ons | Íhlins/SuperPro/Torque Solution Suspension
    SM #11
    SCCA Member # 467273 ← Use me as a referral for a membership discount!!
    NASA Member # 179774

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AEM boost gauges suck... terribly inaccurate. The only reason most people get them is to match their current gauges.

I really like Defi gauges... I've never had one fail or ever read inaccurately on me.
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great boost sender location is underneath the small relay box in front of the main fuse box in the engine bay.
    350 WHP WW Flex Fuel 2014 Evo X MR | 600 WHP OB 2008 Evo X GSR

Evo X Builder & Tuner since 2009 - Boosted Mitsubishis since 2005 | Buy fuel kits, flex fuel setups, or order an e-tune online: http://www.wtftuned.com/

Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WTFTuned

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, the AEM is really hard to read when driving. Plus, it does not have peak/hold which is annoying. I just put mine in a few weeks back but plan on selling it. Only reason was I wanted to match my AEM oil press and UEGO.